Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: barbi twins or cyclops girl?
Small single turbo w/ larger secondary turbo
17.95%
Large single turbo with significant spool time
12.82%
Small single turbo for low-end torque
20.51%
Road head from amazing sex midget
48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

twin turbos, anyone try yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
twin turbos, anyone try yet?

So, the more I'm reading, the more I'm thinking twin turbos sound like the way to go...one that spools quick, and the other that kicks in for the upper rpm range. I found a bunch of cool info, but nothing from evo/lancer owners yet. Anyone have any input on this? I found an old thread from '05 talking about sequential, but it petered out and never went anywhere...and LOTS of recent stuffs about twin scrolls...

lots of stuffs for supras and wrx...

Found this thread on another forum, good info from PhlypSide (third poster): http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/arch...p/t-64378.html

Some GM offerings...

other cool Honda setups:

thread is here: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...int&id=2172898

Datsun rust job:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbu...o.php?lid=2874

Subaru with supercharger and twin turbo:

Nice Impreza setup:

Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are some nice looking FI engines.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

They all look very cool but don't think they are practical for lancers. maybe not even practical for evo owners. With the amount of tuning and fabrication needed for this type of set up. Unless you are going for a purpose built drag car i don't see the point in it. But don't let me discourage you. If you got the time and money then go for it. would love to see it done in a lancer.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

WRX engine>Lancer Engine(not talkin about Evos)
and our engines are nothing compared to a WRX
our engines arent made for speed.. i mean some people have trouble with a single turbo on our cars let alone a twin turbo
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

A single turbo pulling double digit boost levels is tough on our engines. Running twin turbos would require major engine overhaul.

Also, the only way to fit two turbos in the engine bay would be to do it like some of the pics above, put both turbos up front.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:27 PM

The 6th picture isnt just twin turbo take a closer look Super Charged to

That must pull maddddddddd

Last edited by Kurt; Jun 10, 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: no need to quote pics from the first post
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

any vids at all?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChadB
any vids at all?
Here's a 350z twin running an 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDhhS__FJp4
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

not worth a lancer being twin turbo
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Why not, if you have the expertise or determination or money? I found an article about getting the most out of a sohc motor, these things are all possible.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Because a single turbo is more efficent than a twin setup or a sequential with DBB turbos. Plus you are talking about an engine that can only rev to ~6500rpms on a 4cyl. That is differnt for the 5-6L V8's that have 4 cyl on each side feeding a turbo or even a V6 that has 3 cyl feeding a turbo. 2 exhaust pulses is not constant enough to spin a turbo. Plus 300whp has only been attained here like twice. Once you can make the engine bulletproof and can rev past 7k, then you can start talking about making big power. Unitil then, the weak block and low rev range limits a driveable car to 400whp tops (full boost by ~4200).
Old Jun 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
As plenty of people have pointed out, this would be a major waste of time. Twin turbo systems are generally used for one of two reasons, 1. the engine design promotes it (like a V6 in a 350Z or a boxer motor in a Subaru) or 2. lag needs to be kept to a minimum while at the same time satisfying other requirements. The first point is self-explanatory, the inline 4-banger in the lancer is not ideal for a twin-turbo setup. The second point is best understood by looking at some of the common mods done by owners of cars with stock twin-turbo systems. In a lot of cases, the first mod is to replace the two turbos with just a single, more efficient turbo. Yes twin turbo systems can have very little lag and a reduced boost threshold, they're not efficient and with modern turbos being as they are, the difference is negligible now. The amount of money it would require to setup a system for the lancer is very prohibitive, you'd have to build the motor, custom build all the piping, probably move things around (like reservoirs) and deal with other problems that no one even thought about. If you're trying to get your car in a magazine and have an unlimited budget, go for it, otherwise just buy an RRM kit and call it a day.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

interesting, my thoughts were based on getting rid of the spool time involved with a single large turbo, by having the smaller initial turbo spool up quick for low-end torque, and the larger secondary turbo would spool up while the first was already working. From what I'm reading the only limitation on the initial setup would be the ecu having to control the turbos? is this an issue?

Obviously if you're looking for major boost power, a completely built engine is a must...but the point I was interested in was reducing/virtually eliminating lag with a single turbo system...
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jayIII
The 6th picture isnt just twin turbo take a closer look Super Charged to

That must pull maddddddddd
I bet the efficency of this system is horrible.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

^^^yeah, i bet the turbos only purpose is to power the supercharger lol

it's definitely purty, tho

Quick Reply: twin turbos, anyone try yet?