Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Boosting questions.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you use the evo intercooler you will have to remove the crash bar. you CAN use the same piping with a smaller ic. no problem.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ummm....I would seriously suggest waiting until you know how a turbo works inside and out before doing this, if you don't know what a BOV does or a wastegate does, an aftermarket kit isn't a wise idea. Moreover, if you're buying all Ebay parts, an aftermarket kit is not a wise idea. Spend a bit extra and get good parts, you'll thank yourself later.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
back in the day. I had a t3/t4 turbo put on my prelude. Yes, the car was a lot faster but when something went wrong, it was a bytch 2 get fixed. There is a lot to install on a N/A car. U have to have a good mechanic that knows about turbos and how they work. If u are running into this alone. I would leave the car alone. Just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

you will need a transmission cooler only if you are replacing your stock radiator. It has it built in to it. and i believe most are universal.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome^ that helps. And i know basically how a turbo and bov work i just didnt know about the wastegate. I am definately new to all of this so its a learning experience. I have at least 2 people in mind that will install this. Both are highly qualified and know their stuff. Plus i will get to oversee the build and learn more about it then .
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Is it really a safety issue to remove the crash bar? Does the crash bar make that much of a difference? If not i will get the Evo intercooler but if it does im gonna get a Mishimoto small FMIC with evo piping.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

What do yall think about this wastegate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/38mm-...Q5fAccessories

and this BOV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...Q5fAccessories

I know the BOV is good quality but its iffy on the wastegate.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

And will this work for the fuel management?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by davidmitsusrock; Mar 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidmitsusrock
Is it really a safety issue to remove the crash bar? Does the crash bar make that much of a difference? If not i will get the Evo intercooler but if it does im gonna get a Mishimoto small FMIC with evo piping.
Yes it's a safety issue, it can mean the difference between no damage and a 1000$+ bill.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yea i am going to get the mishimoto intercooler with evo piping now. So i wont have to remove it.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

another member here (cincy) crashed at low speeds without the crash bars and his lancer was totaled.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

You guys have been a great help! i appretiate everyone who answered my question...im sure ill have more though lol.

And yeah I am definately keeping the crash bar on.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidmitsusrock
What do yall think about this wastegate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/38mm-...Q5fAccessories

and this BOV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...Q5fAccessories

I know the BOV is good quality but its iffy on the wastegate.
wastegate is wrong kind. asking people here bout what they think of ebay wastegate is just asking for it. If you are going to use the speedcorps manifold and the evo turbo You will need to change the internal wastegate (the forge internal waste gate with smaller spring)
The blow off valve that you need will have to be a recirculating type. like a stock evo bov or greddy rs or simular.
you should realy read up on some of the build threads that have done this turbo conversion. You could potentialy destroy your car if you dont do things correctly.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Yes it's a safety issue, it can mean the difference between no damage and a 1000$+ bill.

Since i have lived it, i would put, bumper damage vs totalled and possible death depending on speed at impact.

OP, you REALLY need to know the parts of the turbo system and what they do. If anything goes wrong, you are completely SOL! Plus, there is several custom builds on here that take all the hard work out of it and yet you still are waiting for someone to walk you through every single step. I can just picture you now on the side of the road having no clue whats wrong and why the car stalled out and died on you. Deff not something you should add on, especially with your knowledge level doing a custom kit, no matter the cost savings. The more parts you buy as a whole, the better.

Either buy an RRM kit, or follow one of the few 16g builds that use a tube evo manifold with a few extra holes drilled into it and the dp extended.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Bingo. None of this is meant to be condescending or insulting, it's just friendly advice. Spend 6 months reading as much as you can on turbo kits before you even consider buying a part. You need to know what kinds of problems you can encounter and what kinds you will encounter.

Quick Reply: Boosting questions.