Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

T28 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
lol dude oz rally.. im really surprised my kit has stayed for sale as long as it has..

my new setup is a bullseye s372 (42r), 24psi on e85
haha.. have almost all the parts now, and we started on the new intake manifolds like 3 days ago..
I'm really surprised too, the original price you were going for at first was fair and now it's more like a steal! You also have to take into account the economy.
I can't wait to see your new setup. I just need to get a new clutch them build my engine and I'll be up there with you guys. Don't worry I have some tricks up my sleeve. Lol
Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

i had about 3 paragraphs of nasty comments about 16g turbos, but i deleted it and posted this instead.

"y would u use a garbage tiny turbo to boost a car, when a real turbo is only a small price difference: didnt you want to make real power when you spent 2grand or more to turbo your car?"
So please explain to me how the 16g turbos are garbage when A. Mitsu put them stock on both the 8 and 9. 2. The lag on a 16g is next to nothing. And D. senate even stated that 400hp is capable on a 16g. Personally, if your building a street car, anything over 400 is retarded. I would say that a 16g would suit any street driven turbo lancer. And given that it is so popular, you can find parts all over the place for them. Not to mention since they are so widely used, you can even upgrade them easily. Also not to mention, alot of the websites that sell the 16g in a kit state that it is the best turbo to use on a lancer(which I feel is an exaggeration but its a good turbo nonetheless). Anyways, no its not for uber ridiculous power levels, but for the guys looking for streetable HP, its a great turbo.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by imalancerman
So please explain to me how the 16g turbos are garbage when A. Mitsu put them stock on both the 8 and 9. 2. The lag on a 16g is next to nothing. And D. senate even stated that 400hp is capable on a 16g. Personally, if your building a street car, anything over 400 is retarded. I would say that a 16g would suit any street driven turbo lancer. And given that it is so popular, you can find parts all over the place for them. Not to mention since they are so widely used, you can even upgrade them easily. Also not to mention, alot of the websites that sell the 16g in a kit state that it is the best turbo to use on a lancer(which I feel is an exaggeration but its a good turbo nonetheless). Anyways, no its not for uber ridiculous power levels, but for the guys looking for streetable HP, its a great turbo.
really dont care to explain anything, its tiny, and pushes less then 30lbs/min(and an 'upgrade' like a RED, is like 2 GRAND). our cars love trq. were in one of the few 4 bangers that makes more trq then hp normally.. i would much rather take advantage of that in the upper rpm power.. u build your cheapbox 16g handmedown turbo kit and you kill your powerband.(now thats debaitable depending on how much boost your pushing and what your using it for..)

there is a efficiency range for every turbo setup and what your using it for.. ifu want to get from red light to red light with a quick trq'y feel, im sure the 16g is great, it really isnt that fast of a spooling turbo either, t28 and t25 and ko3's all spool quicker..
if u want a lancer to be 'quick' im sure your 14second lancer will do just fine, u dont need more power if u dont know how to handle it..

Stock"ish" (bolt-on)evo9s running 28psi on e85 dont even make 400hp with e85.. there motors flow MUCH better then ours.. i donno about you, but i dont know of ANY lancer pushing more then 22psi(might be 1 or 2 out there), and a more efficient turbo motor doesn't even easily make 400hp with it.

if you want a 300-400hp capable turbo. step up to at least a 50lbs/min turbo thats rated to 450+hp. other wise u will need a completely race built and prepped motor to handle the kinds of boost you will need to push to make that upper 300hp mark. u can make more power with a larger setup easier, but u need to stay in the efficiency range of the turbo for it to be usable power.

if u want a cheap setup.. do whatever you want. but dont exspect to make 300-400hp claims on a tiny turbo on our motors. anyone that wants 'power', shouldn't be persuaded to use a a 16g at all, its a cheap alternative to something they probably dont want. "its upgradable" ya.. ok and at a Huge price tag, thats ment as a cheaper alternative for an evo, not a lancer.

if your capable to pushing 24+psi to try to make more then 300hp easilly, u r waisting your time on a tiny turbo.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 27, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thats funny you say that cause there is a 450 est. crank hp (i say est. cause thats what they estimated it to be at after his dyno run and i dont remember what he said his awhp was) evo8 around here with only an evo9 turbo upgrade(which is a 16g). Hes running e85 and has a built motor by english racing. So before you go slamming the 16g of its capabilities, maybe you should cite some references stating what you claim to be true. And besides, who wants HP? TQ is where its at. I would much rather have a turbo that can take advantage of the full powerband, cause like you say, the g94 loves torque. Whats the point in going to 150mph when another car can get there faster? Straight line cars are a thing of the past. If all your building is a straight line car, get a huge, unnecessarily large turbo as you dont ever see the lower rpms after takeoff. However, things like autocross, which our cars are great for, see the lower rpms quite a bit and would therefore make the 16g a very high performing turbo in that category. Really, I dont ever plan to see the better side of 135 as its unnecessary and a lancer doesnt really need to go any higher than that. I would love it if my car maxed out at 140 at 7k in 5th. That would be some badass gearing.

Heres some examples i found on the capabilities of the 16g, not that it would be simple to pull them out on a car like a lancer, but it is a testament to how much some people underestimate the 16g. And if reliability is a question, I wonder how people ever get so many miles on their evos and dsms and all those other cars all over the place running those garbage 16g's. Hmm.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...9awhp-16g.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...6g-vs-t28.html

And someone should correct this guy cause he stated that 400hp is easily attainable with a 16g.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...from-an-evo-8/

Last edited by imalancerman; Dec 27, 2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Had to correct facts.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

go run your sources more. lol u said "Hes running e85 and has a built motor by english racing" a race built evo with an upgraded 16g.. thats not a stock turbo. thats a 2,000$ turbo ontop of a race prep'd motor. and even if it was a stock turbo and not an FP/red/white/green/black, hes runnin 30+psi to make 450hp "estimated"

LOL..
3 different tuned evos in my 'neighborhood' all run 28psi on e85 on a stock evo9 turbo, with basic upgrades, 1200cc injectors, FMIC'intercooling, stock cams, stock motor, with exhaust.. all 3 make between 370-390hp to the WHEELS. and thats at 28 PSI!

a stock evo motor flows ALOT better then ours, and a "race" motor im sure is 2-3x better air flow then ours and can handle twice the boost then we can. please dont try to plea your garbage to contribute to making your turbo selection sound better.

if u have a lancer that can handle 30+psi and still have a 16g, your an idiot (unless maybe its a timeattack or autocross car or something along those lines where u need power at low rpm)

the "upgraded" 16g turbos from FP were designed originally for street racers, so they could flow more lbs/min and still appear to have a stock turbo, as a "stealthy" upgrade people cant just pick out.

If i drop 2, 3 or 4 grand into my lancer motor for supporting mods to push more boost, im not gunna be running a 16g, a t3 or gt3xR will spool just as well and make alot more power. a "race" "highcompression" "c16 FUEL" built motor in a EVO does not constitute easily obtainable power in a LANCER.

O BTW.. "most wanteds" evo ran a 10.2? 1/4 with a stock evo9 turbo.. maken close to 600hp.(and with only a turbo, and turbo manifold change) on a pte6262(thats about a 35r) he made 850hp? thats a full buscher 2.1L race block, buscher everything. same boost, new fuel map, 250 hp difference, i could go get dyno sheets to if ud like... thats was a fully sponsored car going for records.. i dont remember what the car made with a fp red, was high 600s if i remember right.

u cant compare a RACE built EVO motor vs a LANCER motor with the output of a stock 16g.
stock internal evos dont break 400hp at 28psi on e85. and i dont see any lancers out there capable of pushing that much boost on built setups.. not an easily obtained goal for a 16g on our motors.. Sorry

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Thats funny you say that cause there is a 450 est. crank hp (i say est. cause thats what they estimated it to be at after his dyno run and i dont remember what he said his awhp was) evo8 around here with only an evo9 turbo upgrade(which is a 16g). Hes running e85 and has a built motor by english racing. So before you go slamming the 16g of its capabilities, maybe you should cite some references stating what you claim to be true. And besides, who wants HP? TQ is where its at. I would much rather have a turbo that can take advantage of the full powerband, cause like you say, the g94 loves torque. Whats the point in going to 150mph when another car can get there faster? Straight line cars are a thing of the past. If all your building is a straight line car, get a huge, unnecessarily large turbo as you dont ever see the lower rpms after takeoff. However, things like autocross, which our cars are great for, see the lower rpms quite a bit and would therefore make the 16g a very high performing turbo in that category. Really, I dont ever plan to see the better side of 135 as its unnecessary and a lancer doesnt really need to go any higher than that. I would love it if my car maxed out at 140 at 7k in 5th. That would be some badass gearing.

Heres some examples i found on the capabilities of the 16g, not that it would be simple to pull them out on a car like a lancer, but it is a testament to how much some people underestimate the 16g. And if reliability is a question, I wonder how people ever get so many miles on their evos and dsms and all those other cars all over the place running those garbage 16g's. Hmm.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...9awhp-16g.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...6g-vs-t28.html

And someone should correct this guy cause he stated that 400hp is easily attainable with a 16g.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...from-an-evo-8/

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

And what was the difference in spool up times? My point is that the 16g will make very good use of the limited powerband that the lancer has. Not all cars redline at only 6k. I would think a smaller turbo would be what someone would want to run. Once again, you sit here acting like everyone wants 400+ hp. Once again, Im telling you anything over 400whp on anything other than a drag car is just retarded. Its not because a person can't handle it, its because its unnecessary. Just because you cant be satisfied with 400whp doesnt mean you should down a turbo that can make that power and satisfy any beginning turbo tuners needs with ease of use, reliability, ease of parts availability, good prices, and lots of experience on lancers. Im not trying to start a fight with you, as i agree that if your shooting for power above and beyond 400whp, it would be much easier to use a larger turbo. But once again, unless your doing drag or drifting, which you will only do one of those, and the other is just plain lame and boring, its utterly unnecessary and a 16g will more than satisfy the needs of anyone wanting a streetable car and occasional autocross vehicle. Im sure majority of this forum would agree with that. Not to say that I dont support you for going for the big numbers, but when your trying to say one of the most widely used and reliable turbos is just plain garbage, well thats just plain and simple an uneducated comment. Your going to be the guy that gets these people with lancers doing turbo builds to stick a fricken T6 on their builds and wonder why the hell their cars are so laggy. So simply put, a 16g is an awesome all around turbo and as senate said, can be the first and the last turbo to go on your car.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
You guys thread-jacked the $hit out of this guy's build thread for no good reason. Take it somewhere else.

And about my comments about 400hp and the 16G6, is it possible... well sure, but it will take a fair amount of work and money to get to that point. A 16G6 is not necessarily a feasible turbo if you're seeking 400hp+. Not everyone wants 400hp in their FWD Lancer, but if you did it wouldn't best be accomplished using a 16G6. That being said, the vast majority are more than fine with the 300hp+ that comes from a nice setup with a 16G6 and that is why most choose to go that route.

Last edited by senate6268; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you, thats all I was trying to say. Ill stop thread jacking now and I apologize for the inconvenience. To get back on track, good luck with the build and hope to see something neat since you've apparently built alot of suspense around this. But maybe the OP might want to start a new build thread for two reasons, A. its a little messy in here and i apologize for that. 2. You arent going to be using either a T-28 or 16g so maybe you should possibly start something new in reference to what you are using and let this one just die off.

Last edited by imalancerman; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

go run your sources more. lol u said "Hes running e85 and has a built motor by english racing" a race built evo with an upgraded 16g.. thats not a stock turbo. thats a 2,000$ turbo ontop of a race prep'd motor. and even if it was a stock turbo and not an FP/red/white/green/black, hes runnin 30+psi to make 450hp "estimated"

LOL..
3 different tuned evos in my 'neighborhood' all run 28psi on e85 on a stock evo9 turbo, with basic upgrades, 1200cc injectors, FMIC'intercooling, stock cams, stock motor, with exhaust.. all 3 make between 370-390hp to the WHEELS. and thats at 28 PSI!

a stock evo motor flows ALOT better then ours, and a "race" motor im sure is 2-3x better air flow then ours and can handle twice the boost then we can. please dont try to plea your garbage to contribute to making your turbo selection sound better.

if u have a lancer that can handle 30+psi and still have a 16g, your an idiot (unless maybe its a timeattack or autocross car or something along those lines where u need power at low rpm)

the "upgraded" 16g turbos from FP were designed originally for street racers, so they could flow more lbs/min and still appear to have a stock turbo, as a "stealthy" upgrade people cant just pick out.

If i drop 2, 3 or 4 grand into my lancer motor for supporting mods to push more boost, im not gunna be running a 16g, a t3 or gt3xR will spool just as well and make alot more power. a "race" "highcompression" "c16 FUEL" built motor in a EVO does not constitute easily obtainable power in a LANCER.

O BTW.. "most wanteds" evo ran a 10.2? 1/4 with a stock evo9 turbo.. maken close to 600hp.(and with only a turbo, and turbo manifold change) on a pte6262(thats about a 35r) he made 850hp? thats a full buscher 2.1L race block, buscher everything. same boost, new fuel map, 250 hp difference, i could go get dyno sheets to if ud like... thats was a fully sponsored car going for records.. i dont remember what the car made with a fp red, was high 600s if i remember right.

u cant compare a RACE built EVO motor vs a LANCER motor with the output of a stock 16g.
stock internal evos dont break 400hp at 28psi on e85. and i dont see any lancers out there capable of pushing that much boost on built setups.. not an easily obtained goal for a 16g on our motors.. Sorry
heres a stocking-ish evo 9(exhaust & intake) on pump gas at 23 psi making 387 whp so 28 psi on 85 not making 400 is just ridiculous(basing that everyone knows 1psi is roughly about 10whp). sorry about the thread jacking but it just needs to be seen so the quarrel can be rested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rdn64p_N-s
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heartagram88
heres a stocking-ish evo 9(exhaust & intake) on pump gas at 23 psi making 387 whp so 28 psi on 85 not making 400 is just ridiculous(basing that everyone knows 1psi is roughly about 10whp). sorry about the thread jacking but it just needs to be seen so the quarrel can be rested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rdn64p_N-s
fp black turbo. not stock, and thats more then likely 387 crank, thats pruven performance, very well known for correcting there hp, also very well known for blowing stuff up to.. FYI, stock evo 9s make about 230-250 to the wheels, depending on dyno, u factor in your 5 more psi at 10hp per psi, your still around 300, makes plenty sense.

and were not thread jacking either. he has stated many times he doesnt know what turbo hes going to use. its very on topic.
every time a thread opens like this everyone goes straight to saying use a 16g is good for 400hp! then 5 monts later.. damn yall, im maken 201hp at 10psi.. woohoo! crap!

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 28, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:05 PM

i am gonna start a new thread once the time is right for the build and i know for sure that i am gonna go with my expected setup.....

ill keep you all posted, cuz i am gonna need the help

props to senate for looking out for threadjacking
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oznoobfabber
i am gonna start a new thread once the time is right for the build and i know for sure that i am gonna go with my expected setup.....

ill keep you all posted, cuz i am gonna need the help

props to senate for looking out for threadjacking
be different, and join the gt40 or larger club! go to 10s!

*edit this post cuz i dont care to see him post again..
Originally Posted by heartagram88
i know what video you are thinking of i've seen that one too but maybe you should watch this one first
what which one? one u posted clearly says fp black turbo at 24psi. thats not a stock turbo setup that lancers use.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 30, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

fp black turbo. not stock, and thats more then likely 387 crank, thats pruven performance, very well known for correcting there hp, also very well known for blowing stuff up to.. FYI, stock evo 9s make about 230-250 to the wheels, depending on dyno, u factor in your 5 more psi at 10hp per psi, your still around 300, makes plenty sense.

and were not thread jacking either. he has stated many times he doesnt know what turbo hes going to use. its very on topic.
every time a thread opens like this everyone goes straight to saying use a 16g is good for 400hp! then 5 monts later.. damn yall, im maken 201hp at 10psi.. woohoo! crap!
dude.........really? you just hate 16g's that much? in the video he says stock turbo and its even in the video title and he is on a dyno which measure wheel horsepower plus the slight mods he has also raise the hp..c'mon now i know what video you are thinking of i've seen that one too but maybe you should watch this one first

Last edited by heartagram88; Dec 29, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkmitsu
if you are using home depot black rubber plumbing fittings you have a boost leak problem , those are not good enough for aboost past 1psi Trust me I tried... When you buy couplers and clamps do it right the first time and buy t bolt clamps and silicone couplers...
Didnt notice this post until now. How would I confirm this? If you mean because toruqing it down would cause the rubber to ripple causing the leaks no worries there I had to force those puppies on there so I am sure if anything it is stretched just a tad bigger so no room for wrinkles. I boost to 10 and hold firm all the way to redline.

Last edited by 03lances; Jan 4, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

i made a boost leak tester from home depot using the black rubber plumbings and i filled my system to 10 psi and had no leaks

Quick Reply: T28 Turbo Build