Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.
View Poll Results: Supercharge or Turbo
Supercharge
36.74%
Turbo
63.26%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2002, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Supercharge or Turbo

Poll supercharge it or turbo it and why?
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

How aboot both?, it can easily be done, you get the best of both worlds
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Aaawh, come on b, ya just destroyed his poll.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

On a 4 banger, TC it.

I believe SC works the best w/ V8 and higher.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by bahamut
On a 4 banger, TC it.

I always thought that was kinda weird cuz TCing benefits low end torque less than SC...and would further stress the uneveness of the 4's powerband. And on the other end a v8 you've already got a pretty even and powerful powerband...

Anyone wanna splain to me why the preference seems so backwards to me? I'm sure at least one other person is thinking the same thing.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:16 AM

If you add both they will blow your car up and i know nobody wants that. I think that turbo is better cuze it works on low or high rev's and it add a hella big kick to your car.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:18 AM

Whys its backwards

Well its backwards cuze if you have a supercharger then you need more wind to pass throught to get to the supercharger but turbo works right off cuze its just like that. Whatever.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:20 AM

On a 4 banger, TC it.

Have you driven a mercedes clk 230? supercharged 4cyl.... i drive them at my work and its fast from the get go
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I personally like superchargers. It's far easier to get monster speed using a turbo (albeit, if someone dropped 3g's into my bank, I certainly would get the RoadRace setup) but supers always seem to require less maintenance effort. They also have extremely little or no lag unlike turbos where you either need a wet shot, smaller turbo, or a larger displacement engine (think stroker) to alleviate lag.

Last edited by pjal84; Jun 13, 2002 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 01:20 PM

Good topic

BOTH is my vote. I talked to someone about this already and they said that you can do both. The SC gives you low-end torque...which is what we're lacking somewhat in the Evo...and it can (maybe...at least they said so) be connected by clutch so when the RPM's hit the turbo-boost, the SC disengages and the turbo takes over. If so, why haven't I seen this mod done on other cars? I want it. But then, I want a lot of things I'm not getting. Somebody please speak on this. Somebody who knows? (PS--the engine "blows up" when you boost too much, too fast, too hot...the engine DOES NOT blow up because you combine boost mechanisms. Oh yeah...it blows up if you drive it fast in Afganistan too...especially near Kandahar )
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Kaymo
If you add both they will blow your car up and i know nobody wants that. I think that turbo is better cuze it works on low or high rev's and it add a hella big kick to your car.
I'm just trying to figure out HOW stupid you are....
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Whys its backwards

Well its backwards cuze if you have a supercharger then you need more wind to pass throught to get to the supercharger but turbo works right off cuze its just like that. Whatever.
Ok, I got it, you belong in a cage with a few bananas and some friends that will eat the lice out of your fur, or is that where you're writing from?? Cuz it be jus lik dat...
The last posting is actually very confusing, try and stay away from complicated equipment (hairdryer, scissors, lighter,..), yes? I don't want your family to be sad...
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:13 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Each has it's benefits. They both do the same thing (force more air into the intake) but by different means.

A supercharger is a much simpler system, usually to the point of being a bolt-on kit consisting of a few brackets, a pulley, and a belt. This in turn means an SC kit is usually less expensive. A supercharger can be designed to improve torque across the entire power band, although some don't, in favor of more peak power. The major downside of an SC is that the pulley adds a significant amount of mechanical loss into the engine which lowers the efficiency (especially at low RPM).

A turbo system offers such a myriad of design options, it can be daunting. Turbo kits are always retrofits, and are almost always a more expensive method, but you can get more out of them. A turbo system can be designed for an across the band torque increase (1 or more small turbos), immense peak power (1 large turbo), or a combination of both (mid-size turbo or a sequential turbo). The only limiting factors with a turbo system is the room under the hood and the skill of your welder (or manufacturing process) - and of course the depth of your wallet. A turbo doesn't add mechanical loss to the system, in fact it makes use of the engine's waste. Of course the flaw with turbos is the dreaded spool time (turbo lag).

So to answer the question - It depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend to get there.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 09:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Lancia Delta. It's very possible to both SC and TC a car. SC works on low revs to provide additional torque and TC kicks in on the higher revs after the SC turns off in order to provide more high end boost. Perfect system if you ask me...crazy expensive and way too complex for me though.

Anyone have a little more insight on my previous question? I appreciate the effort billy, but it's not quite what I was asking for...I know you weren't just responding to me though.

EDIT: Yes, I know it was only the WRC Delta(s) that were done with both and apparently they were MONSTERS to the point where they were banned from competition and had a rep for being deadly.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Are you retarded or something? The meguiars Acura Integra is BOTH Turbocharged and Supercharged. The belief is that the supercharger will pick up low-end torque to elimiate TURBO LAG. If its done right it can work great. That integra has almost 500 WHP...If you dont believe me, look it up or do some research.

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo