Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

what is needed.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is needed.

What is needed to install a turbo if all I have is a turbo. Sorry if this is a repost.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TaKTikZ
What is needed to install a turbo if all I have is a turbo. Sorry if this is a repost.

Use the search feature, there are tons of great info on turbo info! If you plan to do your own build, do ALOT of reading and research. The 4g94 motors are an economical motor, you cany put a turbo on and turn the boost to 15 and expect it to run long. They require alot of attention, by this i mean good tuning, plenty of fuel when its needed, and if you want to play things safe get head bolts/ studs. Although generally 5-8 PSI you wont need headbolts/ studs, its a good safety backup. Make sure you read about the fuel requirements. If you plan on tuning your car yourself, you will need a wideband 02, evoscan or mitsulogger (logging tools) and a tactrix cable to re-flash the ecu. Read the build threads in this section, they all explain the processes and whats required for a turbo build. The most popular build by far is the custom 16g turbo setup

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 25, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:30 PM

thanks man. if i were to buy a kit what kit would you recommend?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

thanks man. if i were to buy a kit what kit would you recommend?
Im pretty sure the RRM kit is pretty good! i have heard good stuff about it! www.roadracemotorsports.com and check out the turbo kit they offer for our lancer!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

thanks bro i appreciate it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

thanks bro i appreciate it.
Np man, good luck with everything, if you need help, just search around, if you come up short, post away!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:25 PM

Is it worth it to have an intercooler system on the car if u don't have a turbo. I don't know much about engine mods. Sorry bout all the questions but I'm learning right now.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Is it worth it to have an intercooler system on the car if u don't have a turbo. I don't know much about engine mods. Sorry bout all the questions but I'm learning right now.
An intercooler can be added like a cold air intake. It can be done, and it can be functional to lower the air temp. However you will prob get alot of crap for having it installed on a non-turbo car because many people just install a CAI (cold air intake) wich does the same.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:48 PM

i plan on getting a turbo. but i can only afford to get it in pieces i would start with the intercooler and then get the rest later. it would be a waist of money to get the cold air intake and then just turning around and getting the turbo and intercooler later.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

i plan on getting a turbo. but i can only afford to get it in pieces i would start with the intercooler and then get the rest later. it would be a waist of money to get the cold air intake and then just turning around and getting the turbo and intercooler later.
I did the same thing you did, i didnt install the intercooler though, i just waited, the gains from a cold air intake compared to that of a turbo, well cant be compared. Better off just putting it aside so it wont get damaged. I know its very tempting I also did my build in buying parts instead of an actual kit.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:36 PM

ok i hear ya there but the issue is that it may be a while before i get the rest of the kit due to money but i want the extra boost the intercooler would give me. do you know of any chips i could get to get a little boost while i wait.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok i hear ya there but the issue is that it may be a while before i get the rest of the kit due to money but i want the extra boost the intercooler would give me. do you know of any chips i could get to get a little boost while i wait.
You wont get any noticable increase just throwing an intercooler on your car. Turbo'd cars get a boost because the heat created during the process of compressing the air. The intercooler substantially cools that charge and helps the keep away detonation which is the main risk of running a turbo.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:25 PM

what about a chip for the car?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive tried various "power adders" Even if you bought a chip that actually did anything. Oods are it would cost you minimum $500+ and might gain 2whp maybe? Sorry the $60 ebay chip wont do jack.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:58 PM

so i should just get a cold air intake and wait?

Quick Reply: what is needed.