Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Full Evo conversion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full Evo conversion

Ok, so I am 21 and unmarried, and even with a clean record my insurance rates on my 09 ES are around $230 a month. I say that to say this. Can anyone give me some advice on possibly doing a full Evo conversion (engine and tranny). I'm just looking for some real time money figures on about how much I would spend and if it would be realisticly possible. Basically I just want to rip out the old motor and CVT transmission out and drop in a Evo X and 5 speed manual transmission. Also, my main reason for wanting to spend all this money is because I did a quote for an insurance policy on a 2008 MR and it was about $460 a month. I believe the main reason is as I said, I'm only 21, and I'm in the DC area. Even with a military discount they want my manhood just to insure an Evo X. Thanks in advance guys.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is possible but your best bet would be going to the auction and buying a complete Evo there that has been declared totaled and swapping it all over .

I have noticed that the rear subframes are bolt on on both cars and im sure it would be a direct replacement .
Old Mar 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well..you need to work on your driving record.... my record was awful too...so i was quoted 400/mo just for lancer when i first started drivng...i'm 25 now..record has been clean for 3 years straight...and my evo is only 115/mo....mind you this is with 100 dollar deductables!..

but its all in the company as well.. and state..but check out progressive..they seem to have best rates..

as far as your initial issue of swapping..lol sorry i kno nothing aabout that
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

my advise is dont do it... its not as easy as dropping it in. its not been done yet to my knowledge so any parts or problems arise it will all be custom. then there is the drivetrain issue.. you will have to hope/see if the lancer 5 speed fwd box will bolt to the 4b11t because you cannot run the awd setup without thousands in custom rear end work. then wiring is all in blah blah blah.. heh, good luck

maybe look into a evo 8 or 9 which might be easier on insurance..
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's anything like swapping Evo VIII/IX drivetrain parts into 03-06 Lancers, it'd be very expensive. Probably not any cheaper than just paying the insurance on a real Evo, and on top of that the rest of the frame would already be built to handle the power. Not to mention the loss of reliability from swapping all those parts around.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:53 AM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I would think that even with the "they want my manhood" Evo insurance, it'd still be cheaper to get one that's already built than it would be to convert a Lancer ES over.

I'm not sure I'd want that much power to the front wheels, either. I know people do it, but unless you're adding in the AWD system, too (more $$$), not sure if want. I have enough trouble keeping my foot off the whee peda--err, keeping a stock GTS from understeering everywhere. An already-made Evo would probably use that power in a more fun/effective way than "ffffuuu--."
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Man you have a sick car as it is. Just make it look really nice and enjoy driving it. I have a 390 hp evo 9 and the car was cool for like a month. Then the reality of speeding tickets and cops and maintaining a high power car made it no fun anymore.

CVT tranny is sick and the lancer is a good looking ride. Who cares if you cant do a 12 sec pass. Women dont care at all ill tell you that, so in reallity all your doing is paying tons of money and going through a ton of BS just to impress guys. So just make the car look really really nice and enjoy having lower insurance and better reliability than any evo. Spend the some of the money you save on nice dates and boom. Girls like guys with spending cash and all your guy friends will be envyous of you because of all the women you will be attracting. While they try to tell the chicks about there car which girls could car less about.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Few people can appreciate hp and motor work but any idot or female or w/e can look at a car that looks really good and be like wow that car is one of a kind.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
Few people can appreciate hp and motor work but any idot or female or w/e can look at a car that looks really good and be like wow that car is one of a kind.

id have to agree this is a pretty true statement.

I have yet to do any major engine mods, besides an exhaust, drop in and snorkel upgrade and a flash tune I have done nothing under the hood.

Instead I focused on making the car look better by adding some decent wheels with nice tires, rear/front lip, VG, oem evo x hood, oem evo x recaros and a nice double din touch screen indash car pc.

I have also spent some $ on suspension , dropping it on eibachs, upgrading rear sway bar and end links and adding some chassis stiffing bars from RRM (got them used for dirty cheap).

I have gotten numerous compliments on my ride, just this past friday i was chilin in my car before going to the spurs/miami game with my windows cracked and 2 guys in their late 30's walked by, not knowing i was inside. One said to the other "man check out that ride, now thats Nice!..."

A couple of months before this I was parked at a shopping center (a shopping center that is definitely not short on high end, nice looking cars) and had a guy in his early 40s compliment me on my car numerous times and even asked to take 2 pictures of the car.

Sure id love to have an evo, maybe a ralliart (if it was used i just couldnt justify paying 27k for a FWD platform car) but in reality I bought a house, 2 new cars and get to enjoy dirt cheap insurance rates and great gas mileage.

Last edited by lancer0220; Mar 8, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I was talking about just making it Awd ...
Rear subframe bolts up and everything is there to support it using everything off the Evo ..
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
id have to agree this is a pretty true statement.
Sometimes its not to what others think but what you think ...

Nothing feels better than giving is throttle and the trq from the turbo just pressing you into your seat
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
I was talking about just making it Awd ...
Rear subframe bolts up and everything is there to support it using everything off the Evo ..
"Just" making it awd? That's one of the hardest parts, and the rest isn't exactly easy.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Sometimes its not to what others think but what you think ...

Nothing feels better than giving is throttle and the trq from the turbo just pressing you into your seat
sure turbo is nice but it all depends what works good for you.

my friend has a volvo 850R thats pushing out ridiculous power to the wheels, problem is ? its FWD and tq steer sucks.

and its also pretty beat up inside/out so sure his car is fast and can blow the doors off mine, beat a slightly modded RA and keep up with stock evo but hands down my car looks and handles x1000 times better.

To the OP i thinjk you should look into your insurance rates for a Ralliart and consider an evo x turbo setup...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

well if youre going for the girls, like Swisha said, just buy a motorcycle

also, I pay 37 dollars a month for insurance on my bike and have a number of tickets and i just turned 21

and if youre really set on doing motor work, ive got a turbo kit for sale if you are interested

Last edited by yitzac1990; Mar 8, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
sure turbo is nice but it all depends what works good for you.

my friend has a volvo 850R thats pushing out ridiculous power to the wheels, problem is ? its FWD and tq steer sucks.

and its also pretty beat up inside/out so sure his car is fast and can blow the doors off mine, beat a slightly modded RA and keep up with stock evo but hands down my car looks and handles x1000 times better.

To the OP i thinjk you should look into your insurance rates for a Ralliart and consider an evo x turbo setup...
I've put lengths on a Evo X

Quick Reply: Full Evo conversion