Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Jake's 06 ES Lancer Build

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm willing to bet you still have a boost leak you haven't found. With a boost leak, your car would run lean under idle and cruise and it would run richer afrs under wot. Either that or something isn't quite right in the rom. I'm guessing boost leak, sensor or connections to sensor or a rom issue. I highly doubt fuel pump, your car is pretty much a normal car at idle and cruise. It's not like it's going to be starving from inadecuate fuel delivery. Under boost, yeah I could see an issue there because it takes a lot more fuel to run the car. Your fuel pump doesn't run any different depending on how you're driving. It's always putting out the same flow and pressure
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll look for leaks this weekend. I wish I had a compressor. Any tips to find a boost leak without a compressor?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If you're thinking that your pump is the problem try to add load to the car when it's at idle: H/AC, rear defogger, electric windows, etc to see if the afr changes and let me me know!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I can step on the gas at idle and it still stays the same. Tried gassing it yesterday and I was still 18+afr. It's not until I give it a good amount of gas it goes up.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys I went and dropped the evo x pump in which is a direct fit but the car is still running lean! So I dropped the walbro back in knowing is has less than 100 miles on it. I went thru and checked every coupler and zip tied a few lines under the hood but I'm thinking it may be the maf now. Sometimes the car wants to run good but then it goes lean again. It starts out fine until the car warms up. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh screw it!!! I'm going to run full time open loop. My fuel is fine at cruising in open loop. It's just lean at idle. I'm sure it's a maf issue. It even runs lean at idle in open loop. I may be making the switch to speed density soon! For now I'm going to tune my entire cruising fuel map. If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to send you one. I just want to get boosting. I'm boosting fine as well.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakermeister
Ahhh screw it!!! I'm going to run full time open loop. My fuel is fine at cruising in open loop. It's just lean at idle. I'm sure it's a maf issue. It even runs lean at idle in open loop. I may be making the switch to speed density soon! For now I'm going to tune my entire cruising fuel map. If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to send you one. I just want to get boosting. I'm boosting fine as well.
Im having the same issue with the lean idle when its warmed up but i dont care because it doesnt have any problem idling, no hesitations or anything so...Im confident its a programmation issue and not a maf issue since i have had 2 bad mafs before and they make your car runs full rich and run like **** when accelerating.

Last edited by marcouxa1; Apr 16, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think 02modlanceroz is on to something. Today was a lot more cold in my area so I'm thinking those "IAT" scalings in our rom might be the issue. In the warmer weather I'm idling at 18 afr and today I was idling about 16-17 afr. I may look into those IAT settings tomorrow. My car holds boost very well though. I'm boosting up to 7 psi with 2-3 counts of knock. Some may be false knock though. The knock voltage looks to be under 1.0 when it knocks. I'm confident in my timing maps though.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

I think 02modlanceroz is on to something. Today was a lot more cold in my area so I'm thinking those "IAT" scalings in our rom might be the issue. In the warmer weather I'm idling at 18 afr and today I was idling about 16-17 afr. I may look into those IAT settings tomorrow. My car holds boost very well though. I'm boosting up to 7 psi with 2-3 counts of knock. Some may be false knock though. The knock voltage looks to be under 1.0 when it knocks. I'm confident in my timing maps though.
Sounds good man, wait til you kick it up to 12-14psi haha. It's twice the fun lol
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm peaking about 7 psi and I feel like the wheels are trying to break free in second gear.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I have to pedal the gas pretty good. If I'm doing a slow roll Into 3rd and punch it, the wheels break loose. If and when I go to a bigger platform, I'm going to have to upgrade my clutch, stage 2 act slips under some conditions. Also running aluminum flywheel. I also need to go to an ebcs, and I'll probably go with a 4 port so I can still boost low limits when I need to without pedaling
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

let me know if the iat scalings do anything for you because i did notice that also....it ran 14-15afr when it was +-0 celcius and it runs at 17afr when its 10-15 celcius here in canada!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Will do marcauxa1. Woke up late. My son kept me up most of the night. I'll be messing with the IAT scaling this afternoon and might have something to report tomorrow.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys I kind of figured out my problem. It's a maf issue. I've had to tweak my scaling and compensation but the car isn't cruising as good as I'd like. I plan to reconfigure my injectors as well and hope it helps. I also think my bov is sticking. The car has a hard time boosting sometimes and other times it feels like it's trying to boost and then the boost suddenly kicks in. I've made a video of my cruise. As you can see my afr fluctuate pretty bad. Im slowly getting there.

Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by marcouxa1
Im having the same issue with the lean idle when its warmed up but i dont care because it doesnt have any problem idling, no hesitations or anything so...Im confident its a programmation issue and not a maf issue since i have had 2 bad mafs before and they make your car runs full rich and run like **** when accelerating.

lean idle can also be an exhaust leak between the turbo and the wideband...if there's no leak, your ECU should be able to hit your closed loop AFR's no problem...but yes if it fluctuates widely with temperature, your IAT scaling is off...

do you guys have a map for closed loop AFR targets?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 18, 2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Jake's 06 ES Lancer Build