Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Demon_ni2 Rebuild Thread. -2015- Monster Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Demon I found a second engine for my car and I gotta help the guy pull it. I figure I'd ask you for any pointers since you've done it many times. Can I pull the engine while leaving the transmission in? I'm not wanting to pull axles. Lol i just rebuilt my dodge dakotas front differential and those axles were tough. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jakermeister
Well Demon I found a second engine for my car and I gotta help the guy pull it. I figure I'd ask you for any pointers since you've done it many times. Can I pull the engine while leaving the transmission in? I'm not wanting to pull axles. Lol i just rebuilt my dodge dakotas front differential and those axles were tough. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
You have to pull both the engine and transmission if you pull the engine out because the input shaft is splined into your clutch disc on the engine side...getting the engine out without the transmission would be a PITA if that's it's even possible. Although you can remove the axles from the transmission and get the engine out too....just get the tie rods and ball joints off of the spindle and you can pull the axles away from the transmission and leave them under the car. Good luck!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping my engine hoist comes in by this weekend. I'll keep you guys updated though.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if its an auto.. pull it out the top. out of the 10 or 14 engines ive swapped. they have all come out the top.. I pull the engine. then the trans, (with or without removing axles, just pop out of the hubs) and reintall the other way. trans in and engine in.. engine in can be a pain cuz angels have to be exactly right. but the two time ive dropped the cradle, ive had TONS of problems. if u have enough room, u can take them out together. but I cant angel the trans down enough to get engine and trans out, but that's cuz im either rnot using any jacks, or its only a foot off the ground.

Manuel however, I don't see how its any different, but whatever . ive only assembled manuals, just haven't had to install/pull from car.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
if its an auto.. pull it out the top. out of the 10 or 14 engines ive swapped. they have all come out the top.. I pull the engine. then the trans, (with or without removing axles, just pop out of the hubs) and reintall the other way. trans in and engine in.. engine in can be a pain cuz angels have to be exactly right. but the two time ive dropped the cradle, ive had TONS of problems. if u have enough room, u can take them out together. but I cant angel the trans down enough to get engine and trans out, but that's cuz im either rnot using any jacks, or its only a foot off the ground.

Manuel however, I don't see how its any different, but whatever . ive only assembled manuals, just haven't had to install/pull from car.
Thats funny because the 4 times i removed either the engine or the transmission i did it from the bottom! As long as u have a floor jack you can use jackstands on the beams of the frame just far back enough to lift it high enough off the ground and then its really easy to use a cart with smakl wheels and drop in on it and then pull it away from the engine bay! But i guess eithet way works but in a driveway my technique is doable with only a floor jack and jackstands.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

yea I guess so.. only takes me about an hour to get the motor out.. may take an hour or two to put it back in and hook everything back up. with the right tools and not losing anything I might be able to do it in 30 mins or so. but that's also not being careful with accessories, I never swap them so I don't exactly make sure I don't damage anything.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

got the whole front driver side suspension hooked up today. even a wheel on it. guess ill tackle the passenger side tomorrow. I keep sleeping in.. and I gotta stop at 3 to get ready for work, so only working in 1-2 hours spurts right now cuz apparently im lazy as crap.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

working double tomorrow. so I wont be working on lancer for a few days. satuday and sunday I also work doubles. so ill have to get up early Thursday and Friday and try to get a bunch done..

gotta make that extra money
Old Mar 3, 2015, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys so apparently this car is sitting outside, possibly in a field(?). Will I be able to pull the engine thru the top? I'm not sure I'll be able to get the car high enough, with the rain and snow we've been getting, to pull the engine out thru the bottom. I won't be able to use a cart as well. Haven't got any shipping info on my engine hoist as well so I'm guessing I won't be able to pull the engine this weekend. I may ask if I can start taking things apart to prepare it to pull. If I take the IM off will it be enough room to pull the engine from the top? Apparently he's parting it out so I guess pulling parts for him would help. I could get the radiator and other junk out of the way this weekend.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakermeister
Ok guys so apparently this car is sitting outside, possibly in a field(?). Will I be able to pull the engine thru the top? I'm not sure I'll be able to get the car high enough, with the rain and snow we've been getting, to pull the engine out thru the bottom. I won't be able to use a cart as well. Haven't got any shipping info on my engine hoist as well so I'm guessing I won't be able to pull the engine this weekend. I may ask if I can start taking things apart to prepare it to pull. If I take the IM off will it be enough room to pull the engine from the top? Apparently he's parting it out so I guess pulling parts for him would help. I could get the radiator and other junk out of the way this weekend.
Well that sounds like a PITA haha good luck getting the engine out in the mud :P
Old Mar 3, 2015, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Going from Colorado (mountains) to New Mexico (desert like) I'm guessing the snow already melted there. Its starting to melt here where I am so I'm guessing it'll be dry by the time I get there. The beauty of living in such a diverse area. I'm hoping I can pull the engine thru the top though. I may go down this weekend and start pulling parts then pull the engine the following weekend. Its a 1.5 hour drive one way though. :/
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

tools help a lot.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

oh and im not working a double tomorrow im off apparently. so when I get home at 3. ill be working on the car the rest of the night.. looks like ill be moving soon. so good timing on getting her running again.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry no updates lately. been busy, PLUS no internet at my house right now.. i am in the process of moving. finally my offer was accepted at a house a little ways away from me, so i should be moving in next month or so. untill i finish moving, my updates may be a little spaced out.

Update... Car is running.. All i did was back it out my driveway, and pull it back up under the car port, so its in a different parking spot now..

My neighbor was wondering how many people i needed to help push it up the hill.. he was confused when i said its running and driving.

Miles of work to go still. thing is a mess.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. You get a place with a garage?

Quick Reply: Demon_ni2 Rebuild Thread. -2015- Monster Turbo build