Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

IDmax, XXX, Helix W12. Which sub in dash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDmax, XXX, Helix W12. Which sub in dash?

ok, current options are

Resonant Engineering XXX 12"

Image Dynamics IDmax 12"

Helix W12 12"

The sub will be mounted in the center of the dash, facing up, sealed fiberglass enclosure. if I can squeeze out enough airspace, I may port it. Going to run 880 RMS (conservative measurement) to the sub @ 4 ohms, unless I get the Helix sub, which will only handle 300 RMS.

Anyone got an opinion?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

i hope you dynamat the hell out of your dash or you'll be stuck listening to the radio!

not a bad idea though. out of your choices i would go w/ image dynamics. nice excursion & decent voice coils. an 8" would fit better. remember bass is unidirectional so you ca put a sub anywhere. i've never seen anyone do a sub in the glovebox though. that might be an idea...
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

how about.... don't mount it in the dash.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Bass isn't that omnidirectional above 30 Hz, I can always tell when the sub is in the back in a car, because you also have the tactile sensations with the seats etc. I'm mounting it in the dash because I can, and because I want a BIG woofer in the dash. there will be a LOT of eDead V3 or V4 applied, especially in the dash, and the CD player may end up elsewhere, with a soundKase in the stock DIN location.

this will NOT be a street beater system, it will be a competition vehicle, pure SQ, no compromise. if I can drop 3500 on a pair of speakers, I can do the work to put a sub in the dash.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

you sound like me about 10 years ago. have fun.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

i guess you're right to a point. it comes down to tuning just like a motor. another option for the head unit might be installing the deck face where the sunglass holder is or on the visor. i always thought that the deck face on visor job looked cool. good luck on it & let's see some pics!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sophic
you sound like me about 10 years ago. have fun.
And you sound to be an idiot.

In dash subs are used in competition systems all the time. I'm going to try and find some pictures, but a car that Scott Buwalda did comes to mind as one of the best examples. A 12" right in the middle of the dash. I've never heard it, but up front bass is an amazing thing.

On topic, though, I'd probably go with the XXX of them, although I've never heard any of them. I heard an XXX 15, though, and it sounded excellent.

Sass, btw, I see you posting on CCA and Carsound all the time.....I'm guMMer on there...
Old Jan 7, 2005, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Sassmaster...it's kinda cool that we are both working on this same concept at the same time. It's good to know that there is someone else out there as crazy as me for attempting it. Sorry I haven't posted pics of the inside of the dash for you yet. I'll try to get those up today.

My only concern with your idea is airspace. I was chopping and relocating a lot of stuff to get the proper airspace for a 6W0...and it doesn't require much of an enclosure at all. I don't know how much space your various 12s need, but I'd say, if you are willing to give up your glove box, your idea may be possible.

One last thing...first I throw the idea of a JL 6W0 in the dash out there, and you have to one-up me with a 12" in the dash! wtf? That's it...I'm doing a wall of 15s on top of my dash! Top that!! J/k of course. Best of luck to you with your project and check for the new pics tonight.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

not sayin it'll be easy, just that it'll be do-able. I'm thinking of maybe making it a 10" woofer in the dash, and an XXX 12" in a TL enclosure in the trunk.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

of course, i initially have to discourage such an arduous task with marginal results.

if you really want an upfront bass setup, go with a pair of 8s under the dash firing into the footwells, you'll have an easier time relocating parts and finding airspace, and they'll be closer in phase with your kickpanels. and the casual onlooker/theif won't know your car's got a $$$ stereo.

if you're set on mounting it in the dash, right on top, save yourself weeks of frustration, take everything out, and build yourself a new dash from scratch, via fiberglas.

IMHO, people have been winning comps with rear mounted subs for years. spend your time/efforts on midbass up front i.e. 8s in the doors, and some solid sealed fiberglas kicks...

get your front stage dialed in and be able to cross over your midbass drivers at 50-60hz, and you'll change your mind about a sub in the dash.

SQ= spending your time on the top 9 octaves first, worry about the bottom two later

oh, and back on topic... IDmax 12... just one, and put it in the trunk although I like the IDQ12s better

Last edited by koolade9; Jan 8, 2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

ditto koolade9.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Sass... If you're looking for an IDMAX, I've got a pair I'm selling. $300 + shipping to your door. D4... GREAT sub. I'm getting out of the game, so my stuff is for sale. If you want one or both, let me know.

/threadjack
Old Jan 8, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

actually... if I get an IDmax it'll be a chromed custom V.4 prototype, with a polished motor.

and I DON"T take the easy way out. it might be easier to not do the in dash sub, but it isn't better. better wins over easier any day.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

If you're looking for an SQ woofer, let alone a system, then the IDMAX is the wrong way to go. If you're set on Image Dynamics, then get their SQ woofer AKA IDQ12V2.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

yeah.. I guess Jason Ewing, World champion, who uses IDmax's has no clue what he's doing. After all, when ID sponsors you, you get the wrong subwoofer for your application.

/end sarcasm

Quick Reply: IDmax, XXX, Helix W12. Which sub in dash?