Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rubber gromet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubber gromet

About a year or so ago i installed 2 10 inch subs in the tunk. i ran a 4 guage wire from the battery, through the fender, and through the rubber grommet down by the drivers foot. at the time i couldnt get the wire to go through so i popped out the grommet and fished the wire in that way. well a few weeks ago it rained really bad down here, palm beach fl, and i got tons of water through there into my floorboard. i asked the guy if he oculd repair it, assuming he would just cut the wire, it'd be easiest, but no, i looked under and he snipped off the part so i slides on the side
it still hasn't fixed the problem so i was wondering if i could buy a new grommet and if it was at all possible to take the wires out of the grommet and put the stock wires back through? any help is greatly appreciated

lunchb0x
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem. Just buy some silicon from a hardware store and glue it all together. The silicon is stretchable so if you would ever want to take it out it's easy.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

^ask pam anderson, shes got some extra lying around somewhere i think... silicon works wonders fo sho.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
I had the same problem. Just buy some silicon from a hardware store and glue it all together. The silicon is stretchable so if you would ever want to take it out it's easy.
but do you think its possible to remove my amp power wire, cut out the rubber grommet all together and disconnect the wires, replace the grommet and feed then feed the wires through the right way? if possible i think it'd be worth it. tonight it happend again on my way home from work , damn i hate the florida weather. especially the smell that water leaves after it sits on the carpet. thx much
Old Oct 7, 2005, 07:27 PM

grommet

Well, find a grommet that fits. try a car audio store, or drill a bigger hole if need be. If you don't put something in the hole to protect the wire, you will eventually have a fire from a short. it will eventually wear through the wire insulation.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

well at the moment i have a piece of some sort of tar paper. its a thick piece of what seems to be tar that molds over it, but it doesnt seem to last long enough. i get it from tire places. its sorta like what you use to patch the tire up. but im sure i can get the grommet form the only problem i can see is how to remove the wires and feed them through again
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i'm correct i did the same with my exterior light switch, cept i cut a hole through the middle of the grommet, fed the wires through the hole then used silicone to seal it up. From what i can tell it works fine... But i'm not exactly sure you're talking about same grommet as mines. Mines was eliptical and was about 2-3 inches on the longest diameter...
Old Oct 8, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

the hole i am talking about is down by the drivers feet towards the fender. it has many of the wires that lead to the fuse box under the dash i believe and the whole is, as it looks, to be just big enough for what its used for
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

u could have jst gone through the whole in the firewall the comes into the glove box and saved urself some trouble.......
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
the hole i am talking about is down by the drivers feet towards the fender. it has many of the wires that lead to the fuse box under the dash i believe and the whole is, as it looks, to be just big enough for what its used for
yea i guess i'm thinking about the wrong hole.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
u could have jst gone through the whole in the firewall the comes into the glove box and saved urself some trouble.......
There's a hole in the firewall behind the glove compartment? That i'll have to look into
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

its where people send rrm's piggyback vacuum line to
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:12 PM

wire

well, Please tell me you at least put a inline fuse somewhere near the battery on this wire to your amp... If not and it shorts, you will have really big problems, between toxic smoke, and a car fire.. go to any car stereo store they sell grommets to fit the wire size. Do it soon though. you might have to disconnect the wire from engine side, push it through hole, grommet it and pull the wire back out.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

yea i ran a fuse for the additional lights i have running on my car, interior and exterior.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vikktorlv
well, Please tell me you at least put a inline fuse somewhere near the battery on this wire to your amp... If not and it shorts, you will have really big problems, between toxic smoke, and a car fire.. go to any car stereo store they sell grommets to fit the wire size. Do it soon though. you might have to disconnect the wire from engine side, push it through hole, grommet it and pull the wire back out.
i, of course, have a fuse between the battery and the fender. i just want to know if i can disconnect all the wires that run through the rubber grommet, put a grommet thats not all ****3d up back in there and feed the wires in again, why is it so hard for people to answer this question

Quick Reply: Rubber gromet