Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

how many watts rms can be safely run off stock alternator???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow how many watts rms can be safely run off stock alternator???

i'm looking to completely redo my system, and throw in a couple of amps. here are a few questions i need help with.

1. how many watts rms and/or peak can be safely run off the alternator with no headlight dimming or excessive power drain?
2. how many watts do you personally have running in your system now (rms/peak estimate)?
3. what is the best way to get wires run to the front speakers (aka how the heck can you get them into the front doors easily through that damn grommet)?

thanks in advance guys. i'll post some pics of what all i'm looking at soon.

Last edited by purecoda; Jul 20, 2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh... the way I amped my front speakers was I cut the wiring harness area and used the factory speaker wire spliced into my amp. (ie, cut the fronts behind the headunit and added a lenght of wire from my amp to them.)

not the best way I know. but I didn't want to mess with taking my door completely off/apart.

and since I'm only running 55 watts RMS to my speakers (replaced with jl audio 6.5"s) the factory wire size is fine.

first I had 225 RMS with no sub. no dimming lights.

added 1000 watt amp and dimming lights everywhere.
lol... so... somewhere between 225 watts and 1225 watts is where it starts to dim

based on the fact that the 1000 watt amp is 460 RMS and starts to dim about 1/3 of max power, I would guess you could do about 300 watts RMS but this is just drunken rambling and my observations.

ohh forgot question 2.

I currently have an alpine cda-7893 head unit, jl audio 6.5 coax speakers all around, jl audio 10w7 in jl audio w7 box, kenwood 1000 watt (460 RMS) amp for sub, rockford 225 RMS (dont' remember peak) for 6.5s and a ma audio 1.0 fared cap.

completely random stuff.

about to replace the kenwood 1000 watt amp with something that works worth a shiet (but couldn't beat the 150$ price tag at the time), then will replace the rockford... it came out of an old car I had.

I'm thinking of going alpine for both. a nice 600/4 and a 900/1 (500 RMS) should do the trick.

Last edited by RobertK; Jul 20, 2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

the way I got my wires through the gromit was my first running a "snake" as a guide to pull the wires through. Best to use something stuff, but flexible, like plastic. I used a thick zip tie (with the nub at the end cut off) which I ran trhough untill I could comfotable grab it from the inside, then taped the wires to the end and just pulled the zip tie trough the rest of the way so I could grab the wires.

Very easy, I have wires running through both of my door gormmits. One I did the hard way, but just forcing the wire through, which took a lot of time and hurt my hand. The other I did the way I just explained and took about 5 minutes or less.

I run 2 x 12" Alpine Type S's off an 800 watt Xplod amp... when I'm at a stop... my lights dim quite a bit. but when I'm driving there is almost nothing. I'm going to be getting a cap soon and I think that should take care of most of my problems.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

With upgraded grounds, an Optima Yellow Top, and a cap, I'm running a little more than 3000wrms with no dimming.

2 x "slightly modded" JBL BP1200.1 (bench tested to 1455rms into 1 ohm)
1 x JBL 180.2 (300wrms for my highs)
Old Jul 21, 2003, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Oh... and to get wires to the front speakers, Rockfu's way is the way I used. Just run a snake of whatever you can, I used some brake line I had kicking around.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

sweet. thanks guys. i'm looking to run between 340-500 watts rms (900-1250 peak), and really don't want to have to upgrade my battery or anything. i also know from experience that if your lights are dimming on a hard bass note, it is REALLY stressing your alternator, and will lead to problems down the road.

so far, i already have the deh-p6500 but i'm thinking about upgrading to the 7500 for making my own screen savers, higher volt rca outs and mp3 decoding. speaker-wise, i have a brand new set of the 4-way pioneer 6 3/4 waiting to replace pioneer compression horn 6 3/4 all the way around. but now since i'm thinking adding an amp, i'm thinking about doing rev all around. they sound oh-so-nice, especially amped.

basically, its gonna be a pioneer system all around, with all stinger wires. i should be able to get everything i want for around 700 bones.

i'll be selling my current system, in parts or as a whole:
pioneer deh-p6500 (might hold on to this)
rf matrix rca's and amp kit (their highest end)
rf he 10
rf 300s amp
rf .5 farad cap with gold through-puts

pics of all my stuff are in my profile, so if anybody's interested now, let me know.