Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How to get tweeters working again?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get tweeters working again?

I installed an Alpine 9807 head unit today into my Evo. Everything was plug and play and the install went smooth. However, my stock tweeters don't work anymore. I thought that the tweeters got power off the front speakers power wires? The HU is 50x4 is that helps any. I have no clue how car stereos work, so it would help if someone could explain why my tweeters don't work anymore and how I can get them working again.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Did you use a harness or splice into the wires?

Edit: After reading again and thinking about it I'm guessing you did use a harness: "plug and play". I changed my HU as well but didn't have any problems. I thought I could be helpful but looks like not.

Last edited by alfredob1; Sep 28, 2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

I used a harness.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't want to start a new thread on this

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but what do you guys think is better, Infinity Reference 625i or 6002i? I want to use one of these to replace my front speakers if I can't get the tweeters working. They will both fit too right? They are 6 1/2''.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you use a harness or splice into the wires?
Should not matter, since the split in the factory lines for mid/tweet is way downstream from radio.

Did you configure some sort of crossover when you set-up the deck? If so, you may be cutting the frequencies the tweeter would produce. Sorry, I'm more familiar with Eclipse stuff than Alpine, so I can't give you the specifics to check. Are you sure you have output from the doors? If not, you could disconnect your harness and use a cordless drill battery to check to see if you have a break in the line somewhere.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Try turning the fade all the way to the front. If after that, it seems the fronts are really quiet, then you may have hooked up the wires into the harness out of phase, which I would guess would be most noticeable with the tweets than the woofers. It's a far out chance, but otherwise, I'd say it's just a coincidence - replacing the head unit should have no effect on the components.
-N
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I tried turning it to full fade and the front speakers sound fine. The tweeters still don't work with it on full front fade. Has anyone else installed an Alpine HU and had this happen to them?

Last edited by rebelzx; Sep 29, 2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
rebelzx,

Have you tryed playing around with your X-over setting on your head unit. You might of had your highs blocked out.That the only way i can see that your tweeters are not working..Plus if its plug and play like you said, Have you tryed to put the factory headunit back in to to see if you can still hear you tweeters.. Fact is your tweeters are cheaply made speakers,Iv taken mine out,if i remember corectly They are 4 watt speakers(not a typo)yes only 4. Im thinking you might of blown up you tweeters.......
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

i only see two possibly problems, and both have already been addressed.

1. crossover settings, but i'm fairly certain factory defaults have all crossovers turned off.
2. you blew the tweeters. that is my guess. factory tweets SUCK, and probably couldn't handle the power the new hu pumps out. speaker wise, go with the kappa's over the reference. you have 2 1/2 inches to play with. the only problem is, you'll have to buy or fabricate an adapter ring for those speakers to fit. i recommend checking out these bad boys from pioneer. they sound awesome, and are a perfect fit (6 3/4).
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe..._35021,00.html
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

i'd say it's doubtful that a headunit's crossovers could completely "turn off" the tweeters. most internal HU xovers are 6dB per octave or so, even turning them all the way down on the treble side or frequencies that the tweeter gets you'd still hear the tweeters. and even then, it would probably effect some of the frequencies from the woofer. first thing i would do is put the factory unit back in and see if that works. i'm hesitant to say that you blew the tweeters, although i guess it's possible. i'm not familiar with the stock evo setup so i can't really comment, but it is a possibility. if you're feeling saucy, try removing the tweeter and plugging directly into the headunit. if you're not feeling saucy, i'd say get some new speaks. if that doesn't fix it, you know that you have a wiring problem somewhere, but at least you treated yourself to a pair of speakers
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't I have heard the tweeters blowing though? The first time I fired up the new HU I noticed the tweeters didn't work. I can't find anything in the manual about crossover settings. What do I have to adjust to change these?

Purecoda: Those speakers are WAY out of my price range. I'm trying to save up for some performance mods and don't want to waste all my money on audio.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rebelzx
[B]Wouldn't I have heard the tweeters blowing though? The first time I fired up the new HU I noticed the tweeters didn't work. I can't find anything in the manual about crossover settings. What do I have to adjust to change these?

Well tweeters are not bombs. you dont hear them blow, they just cut out... and you dont hear anything
but... here is something you can do to test them out and,it will not take up alot of your time. The side A piller are easy to remove.
it just snapes off,just make sure you inline the 3 snaping point befor you snap them back on when your done. But you shuold be able to see your tweeters.It has 2 screw holding it to the A frame
You can take them out and bring it inside your house and try it on a Home AV. or any other audio equipment you have to test out if the tweeters even work at all.
if they are blown. you can just go to radioshack and,get your self a new pair 10-20$. even the radioshack brand is better then the facoty tweeters.
but.. if they still work then its gota be your wires,asuming your x-over is set right.
From your headunit there is 2 set of front wires left/right channel.
then somewhere at mid point it has a Y split. 1 to the tweeters,1 to the door speakers.I cant see how just the wire to the tweeter is hooked up wroung. if you can hear your front speaker. Im 100% sure you hooked up your head unit right.

And if all fails it take like 10 min to put you old headunit back in.
drive it to the dealership and make them replace them under warrentee(asuming the speaker are really blown)
Old Sep 30, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thuan
[B]
Originally posted by rebelzx
And if all fails it take like 10 min to put you old headunit back in.drive it to the dealership and make them replace them under warrentee(asuming the speaker are really blown)
i'd be careful about this. if they suspect that you blew them by installing a new headunit or something else, they'll just void your warranty and refuse to work on it. if you broke it yourself, better to just suck up the money and pay for it to get fixed then try to commit warranty fraud for a pair of tweeters.

but i would definitely hook up the stock headunit first. if that doesn't work, remove the tweeter and test it on something else. if that doesn't work, get some new tweeters or a new set of front components. and just a little something to ponder:

i was thinking about skimping on stereo and getting some performance mods instead too. then i thought, what will i enjoy more when i drive my car everyday? a $150 air filter, or a really good stereo?
Old Oct 6, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not going to go to the dealer or anything like that and have them replace it under warranty. I bought a set of Infinity 6002i's off of ebay and I'm going to see if they work better then the stock speakers. They are 6.5'' speakers. What do I need to install these? Adapter plates? Do I need any kind of harness to attach them to the stock wiring?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Bump

Quick Reply: How to get tweeters working again?