Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

any tips on audio upgrade path... or install tips?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any tips on audio upgrade path... or install tips?

Hi, Ive done some searches here and havn't been able to find this info specifically ( although the other posts are really helpfull and I am starting to learn a bit),

So I was just wondering ....

Basically I want to start upgrading my OZ's audio... On a budjet

What would be the best order to upgrade and get maximum pleasure from my upgrades .. ie.. is the HU(stock) crummy compared to the speakers so if I upgrade that it I will have a bit more power for the speakers?

Something like that.... I'm a noobie at the moment....

Thanks for the advice... also are there any good sites or articles that would help in installing these upgrades specifically for the OZ lancer. thanks heaps guys!

Antony
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:48 AM
Account Disabled

ok...this is where you have to decide what you want...
a loud *** system where you can here the bass from down the street
or just a chill system where you jjust want a better sound...
first id start off with the head...this is going to determine what you will get into in the end you have a lot of different options and one brand is NOT better than another...(to say)...
1)h/u
2)speakers ( component) this covers mids and highs
3) subs or sub depending on you(dont forget caps again also depends on what ur going to push)
4) video things...if thats what you going for...
5) clean up everything this is where you flush everything and give it that show look
also your cables play a big part in everything, i would go monster or tsunami...remember that you only get what you paid for!!!THIS IS THE BIGGEST THING THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IN THE CAR AUDIO WORLD!!!!
you want a good install go to circuit city or best buy...so if something goes wrong they you know that you have a corporate office to complain to...lol....j/k...any questions pm me

i didnt exactly go the route the i posted on there cus so far the stock speakers are great...and can handle a lot check my registry for pics...
Old Nov 9, 2003, 07:32 AM

I agree with Nexus, it all depends on what you want. If you're on budget, then maybe you should consider the compents(front) and coaxial (rear) before the deck. It will give you better sound quality, not quite as loud because you dont have a better internal amp that you would be getting from the new head unit. So pretty much its however you wanna do it...you can't go wrong.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 08:02 PM

hey thanks for the replies guy's, I feel stupid... I did a search didn't find the instructions at the top of this forum for install info

In tearms of sound, basically I want it to sound better and not nessesarily louder.

The main issue I have with the stock system is the frequ3encies, in my camry( which got smashed up) I had a nice range( it sounded like Iwas at a live gig! hehe .. As soon as I got in the lancer I noticed the stock system lacked something.... Is this a result of the HU or speakers? I noticed with the HU there isn't allot t oplay with in terms of settings... I think it's missing allot of mid... I'm just wondering , if I replace just the head unit, will that be the major step to improve quality or will I have to Do speakers too to really notice a difference?

Thanks Again Antony
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Go with the new headunit first. The one our car comes with is really not very good. I would suggest Alpine for the Head Unit.

Next thing if you dont really need it that loud would be to add some new speakers and then possibly an amp for them if you want it louder as well as better sound quality.

Then if you want some bass add in a sub but make sure you have an amp for it as well..

I didnt follow this route but thats because I already had my subs. And I would have to agree that the stock speakers are not to bad however that is the next thing im going to be changing.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
Account Disabled

i agree, SNapz....GO with ///ALPINE...that what i went with and i dont think that i will ever go with another head unit ...this should bring out your sound a lot more...i take out my subs once in awhile just to loose some weight....but go alpine...
///ALPINE USA
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

I see you have 2 type R's. I got the same in my trunk. hehe. Got a JL 500/1 powering them. Gets pretty loud. I am happy with them. Next upfrade for me is adding components to the front. Ive got a set of Infinity components Im going to be adding. Will run it off a cheap amp until i get $ to get my JL 300/4.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

dont go alpine kenwood and diamond only i used to think kenwood was good untill i got my job at magnolia audio video (high end car stereo stuff) makes rockford ,alpine etc look like child toys)
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Dont go Alpine?

Alpine is one of the better decks out there. You get a lot of features on an Alpine Deck. You can go Pioneer if you want flashy looks and nice pictures but I would say Alpine is the better of the decks quality wise.

Im not saying Pioneer is not good but I would highly suggest Alpine over Pioneer in terms of the sound quality as well as the options it has.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled

hey ryancb,,,hes on a budget....ANYBODY else heard of magnolia...isnt that a dairy company or something?
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got an old pioneer deh-p330...my bro got it for me for christmas last year.

i installed it, it made my system 10000x's better lol, its louder, much better quality etc. so yeah, a headunit is a good start. i think ima skimp out on the speakers and goto subs.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Nah, magnolia is kinda like Best Buy, yet only on the West Coast. They're in with Best Buy, that's how I know. Too bad we dont' have a magnolia in Texas. Oh well. *shrug*
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:53 PM
Account Disabled

we dont have magnolia in cali....