Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

DILEMMA- need more bass!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From personal experience, box size and design help greatly. I use to have my sub mounted in a bandpass box it sounded fine but I wanted more. After converting the bandpass box into a smaller sealed box, my sub hits harder and sounds lower. Again quality over quanity.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trunk rattler here...My trunk rattles bad!!! i only have a rockford amp with 1500w's and 2 sony xplod's (pentagon looking ones) that have 1200w's comming from them. Yesterday i went and got the dynomats put in (the one with the $90 setup) and it still rattles!!!! i'm pissed!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honda....---bandpass would be louder if tuned right(there very hard to tune). ticboy--- 2000 watts = 150 watts rms from a boss amp so it ant big by any means! So what I would do is make sure the speakers and box or made for each other, then go from there
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Iamkar33m
Just to let u know... BOSS isnt exactly top of the line, in fact it's exactly opposite. Like many have said before, I can get a Lanzar 10,000 watt amp and it will get it's butt ROYALLY kicked by a JL 1000.1 (something that runs only 10% of the bigger amp's power).
Hey, Hey, Hey. I run Opti drives on my Focals perfectly at about 25 watts above rms...

As for the sub vs amp problem, 2000 watts is the same as 200000 watts if the signal isnt clean. You can pretty much figure that you may get half or less out of lower quality amps, so dont be sold on wattage alone. And if your "stuck on a 15, i'd go with the Brahma 15 And as for an amp, I would check into Zapco, PPI and a few others here http://soundillusions.net/ that is the kingdom. First thing u should do is figure out what you like and what you want, then the amount you wanna spend. you WILL find that those options clash 95% of the time. But dont settle for something thats "okay" get what you like tune it well and if someone else dosent like it......, **** em. Best of luck.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:48 PM

my cheap amp rips open big audiobahn amps in boca

i have a 1500 watt class D mono block amplifier. running at one ohm, and i have the loudest system in boca... ill put my system against almost n e one, n the joke is my amp is only half way up. im adding one more sub and upgrading alternator. then turning amp all the way up...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by guccilancer
i have a 1500 watt class D mono block amplifier. running at one ohm, and i have the loudest system in boca... ill put my system against almost n e one, n the joke is my amp is only half way up. im adding one more sub and upgrading alternator. then turning amp all the way up...

what kind of subs?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Get yourself a dedicated MONO D-CLASS amplifier. A 500 watt mono amp carries a HUGE punch. That would be 500watts RMS for your subs. I have a Directed Audio 350watt mono with 2 12'' Polk Momo subs and they hit really hard. (Directed Audio is a nice brand). I also got a custom fiberglass box made to fit my spare tire well and it sounds like the subs are actually molded to the car.. no rattles or anything. They are using about 1cubic foot of air space. Also make sure you have the proper air space for your sub.. it makes a BIG difference.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

i don't think you problem is the subs....it's that amp.....i bet if you got a JL 500/1 or MTX or something like that your subs would hit alot harder.....if you want good bass, hear are the three rules:

1) if you can build the correct box for your subs then do it, if not have someone that knows what they are doing to build you a box.

2) get the best amp you can for the money a good brand like JL Audio or MTX

3) get the best sub or subs you can get, but as long as you have a good strong box for your subs and a clean powerful amp you can get a way with cheeper subs and still get good bass.

If you need to save money, save it on the subs, and spend it on the box and amp!!!!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by guccilancer
turning your amp all the way up? what are you talking about? the gain? if so... have fun with some toasted subs. turning the gain up will give you nothing but distortion.

second off... what kind of sub(s) are you running and are they in a lancer? i've heard a ton of systems out there. even compared to my XXX 15's in my lancer, each of which get 1300 watts, a hatchback with smaller subs and less power can easily overtake my system at certain higher frequencies.

third thing... what type of enclosure is your sub/your subs in? adding another sub isn't always good, especially if you mess up the airspace requirements.

also... i totally agree with djmikey with almost everything he said, except his focus on JL audio and MTX. there are a ton of un-known companies out there that you can find amps for a fraction of the price that will perform as good, or better than any MTX or JL amp. maybe not so much JL considering they have regulated power supplies. but, bang for the buck... it's easy to find good, cheap stuff online!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

yes boss is not a quality amp at all!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Lance: you like the JL power supplies?? I find that at full power they take the musicality away from the music, give me a phoenix gold, Tru tech, Audison, or (my personaly choice) DLS amp any day of the week over JL.

if you want subs that will slam with even that amp, look into Image Dynamics IDmax subs, they can wail with 200 RMS on them.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8ya
its not all about massive watts..its about quilty watts..get yourself a good amp like mtx or fosgate..there 250 watt amps will crush 2000 cheap watts..its all about a good amp..
I have been out of the loop audiowise, but I didn't know MTX is now considered quality.

To the original post, you need a clean setup. From the head unit, wiring, amps, speakers, and proper box and airflow design. If you going to cut corners on any of that, then you won't get that perfect BASS you want.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

If you want a good amp to push some subs, look inthe the PG Tantrum. They are hard to find. I have a Tantrum500.2, pushing 2 10 " Polk Audio's @ 2Ohms (260watts per channel ). The sound is clean and they do bump. I have a slight, slight rattle with my plate, but can fix that with some rubber behind it. What i like about having 10's is that they are perfect for the car. YOu do not get the bottom like you would from 12's or 15's. They give you a clean bump. What also is nice you cant here them outside of the car unless you open the door. That is another reason why i decided to go with tens.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sassmaster
Lance: you like the JL power supplies?? I find that at full power they take the musicality away from the music, give me a phoenix gold, Tru tech, Audison, or (my personaly choice) DLS amp any day of the week over JL.
only reason i like the JL amps is the regulated supply. but, for the price... i'd obviously look elsewhere. instead of paying 1,000 for a JL 1000/1 i'd EASILY turn elsewhere (Zapco, TRU, etc).
Old Apr 19, 2005, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Most of the amps mentioned are the same stuff out of Chung Lam in China. Some of it is high end because it's built in Korea instead??? These days, get the one that matches your favorite shirt, just as good an indicator of quality as a "brand" name.

Quick Reply: DILEMMA- need more bass!!!!!