Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Best Sounding Speakers/subs??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Sounding Speakers/subs??

k audio pros, listen up:

i wanna get a whole new frickin' sound system. good all around balanced sound is important to me: i want high tweety-tweeters and bass boomin' subs... i'm looking at replacing the head unit, all 4 6-3/4"s, and probably getting 2 10" subs.... problem is... I DON'T KNOW WHICH IS BETTER...

a lot of this is probably personal opinion, but i wanna get your guys'....

what SPEAKER (coax/tweeter) puts out the best sound...

what SUB kicks hardest/cleanest

and who's AMPS should i use to power this shiz?

i'm mainly looking for brand names here guys. i'm probably not going to be able to spend a lot of cash to buy high end crap... so... just tell me if pioneer's better than sony (or whatever) in each category. then i'll probably buy the winning brand's cheapest stuff

thanks guys. hope to learn something from your expertise...
Old Aug 21, 2002, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you don't want to blow all your money on speakers, but still want VERY VERY VERY decent sounds, try Alpine type R's or Infiniti Kappa, I assure you that you will not be disappointed. As for subs, I would still recommend Alpine type R's. One 12" type-R has a peak handling of 1,500 watts, while the RMS is 300 watts. And one 15" type R has a peak handling of 3,000 watts while the RMS is 500 watts. For speakers, you should look @ www.etronics.com for best pricing, I'm not sure which site has the best pricing on Alpine subs, so browse around. Cheers
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot for the reply bro let's keep it up peepz, i want to get some more opinions...

ONE MORE QUESTION that i just thought of..... POWER BALANCE.... if i'm gonna be kickin' say 120 watts from my 4 speakers, how much power do i want behind my sub so that i get balanced sound? i'm not gonna want 500 watts of bass w/ only 120 of sound from the inside of the car, right? AND... is 120 even enough for the speakers? or is that kinda weak? i really don't know.

i don't even know if i'm explaining myself well enough, but please try to give me some help on this.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:18 PM

Here are the ones I would look into...

Inside-
Pioneers, Infinity, Polk

Subs-
Alpine type R, Rockford Fosgate HE2, Audiobahn, MTX Thunder6000..... just to name a few.

As for the power ratings, the inside component speakers won't even come close to your subs wattage. If you are worried about the Bass beeing too overpowering then I suggest just getting 1 small (10") low power sub, that is of course if you don't want ear drum busting bass (which I don't understand why you would want a sub and not expect it to overpower the interior components). Trust me, if you get good inside speakers, throw on some bass blockers on em you will be fine. I dable in a little Mobile Instal so if you want drop me a pm or e-mail enve@attbi.com and i can help you put together a nice sounding, good priced system
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:15 PM

Dood,
Subs: JL Audio All the way!!!!!!!!!!!
Speakers: Eclipse or Premier 3-wayz
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:19 PM

oops forgot about the amp
Amp: PPI, Memphis, Zapco
stuff i would stay away from:
rockford fosgate, and the other cheaps low-quality **** u can buy at circuit city
if you need more questions...just holla @ me aim, icq, or e-mail
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:23 PM

btw...
I have a Pioneer DEH-P6300 CD
Eclipse 5 1/4 Fronts
Premier 6 1/2 Rears
2- 12" JL Audio W-3
Memphis 300 for my inside speakers
Memphis 600 for my subs
====================================
But for proper fitting in the factory holes you will need 6 3/4 for front and back.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

6 3/4, 6 1/2, or 5 1/4 will fit BUT only 6 3/4 fits perfect... if you decide to go for 6 1/2 or 5 1/4 (more in those sizes to choose from) then you will need a speaker bracket which arent hard to get. www.crutchfield.com will tell you what brand and model speaker will fit
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Theres alot of speakers that sound good, it all depends on what you want.

You can go competition speakers and get Focal Utopia line, MMatts i believe makes good speakers

Kenwood eXcelon makes a really close competition speaker.

Subs

IDmax
JL
Mmatts

again it all depends on what you want. With competition speakers you're going to pay alot.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

go for alpine its the best.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

He said alpine's the best RAFLMAO. Go for JL500/1 for the sub its the best featured subwoofer amp out there. 2 JL12W3s in a ported box will be more than enough boom for you I'm sure, but if you want to get loud for real Rockford Fosgate is the real way to go.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 06:55 AM

I installed all Rockford Fosgate in my Lancer it sounded like crap so I switched to kickers. I have 6.5 in the fronT with center mounted tweets "highs are so high I have them turned all the way down" I have another pair of kickers in back with a crossover set to cancel out all the highs so they only produce mid range bass. Then the trunk is a different story. Went with a pair of 8in Solo-Barics and a 2k amp. I'm loud now, VERY LOUD!!!! Total speaker package "excluding deck" cost me under 2k with wire and crosses. Actual cost may be higher since I had a buddy pick up with his modest employee discount. The subs and amp were brutally expensive so find a friend that can get ya the hook up.

Oh btw kickers dont come in the optimal size for the Lancer. We used custom mounts and lots of sound mat to compensate. Watch the front doors the inside panel has a nasty rattle if you dont use some kind of padding. I recommend some thin weather stripping in areas where things shake violently. If ya got the cash its worth it to get a tuned box for your subs. I say this cuz you asked for prestine sound instead of the normal rust rattling sound most stereos produce. Consider using velcro on the bottom of the box to keep it in place and again if ya got the cash go for pro and throw in nice wire and power source. Last but not least if ya go with the kickers go high on the watts and then adjust accordingly I've had problems with giving too little juice to these speakers but havent blown anything giving them max watts. BTW the rediculously large competition amp was purchased used so that if needed I could up the subs in quantity and size later.

For best results run your interior 6 "front 2, rear 2, and 2 tweets" of an amp also.

Oh and too the guy who recommended Fosgate, anything you can buy at Best Buy isnt worth putting in your ride.

Good luck.

Last edited by Metalak; Aug 23, 2002 at 07:13 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Alpine head unit

Mb quart speakers

Subs: How much can you afford? Anywhere from Ground Zero, jl w7, to rockford HE's....they all pound...just how much pounding do u want.

USe any brand of wiring...dont forget a cap if you need. Also, EQ, line driver, and cross over are sometimes needed.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Metalak

Oh and too the guy who recommended Fosgate, anything you can buy at Best Buy isnt worth putting in your ride.

Good luck.
Speakerwise yes, sub-wise HELL NO! I'd put a rockford power HX2 DVC sub against anything you want. Granted, kicker solos are sweet subs too but rockford doesnt make crap. Thier amp kick *** too. But speakers arent really thier forte.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 09:47 AM

Last edited by QuakerOatMan; Aug 24, 2002 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Sounding Speakers/subs??