Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fiberglass Enclosure Project

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got some time to work on the project. I put resin on the cloth today after work, and I'll let that dry and Thursday I'll be able to put the glass on the cloth. I'll take pictures at that point and show everyone the progress. I might not be able to upload the pictures though thanks to a virus on my PC.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
Finally got some time to work on the project. I put resin on the cloth today after work, and I'll let that dry and Thursday I'll be able to put the glass on the cloth. I'll take pictures at that point and show everyone the progress. I might not be able to upload the pictures though thanks to a virus on my PC.

You should be able to put your cloth on 45 mins after you're done done...
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
You should be able to put your cloth on 45 mins after you're done done...
What do you mean? Are you talking about carpeting after I glass?

After I put resin on the cloth I went for a run, came back 30 minutes later and the resin looked like it was dry, but the cloth was still really flexible. I got a little worried, but when I woke up yesterday morning the cloth had stiffened up a lot. This eased my mind a bit because I was worried the cloth wouldn't be stiff enough to hold the shape.

Today after work I'm glassing the rest of the box. Should be good to go by Saturday (giving it an extra day to cure).
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Dude where are the pics??? Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I'll post them shortly. I was up all night getting my computer straightened out after getting a few worms and viruses. I'm all set now, and put the final layer of glass on the outside of the enclosure this morning.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Final Glass Layer

Here are the pictures I just took after laying glass this morning. There are some crevices from the fabric when I pulled it around, which I plan on filling with body filler. That should help smooth out the look of the box. I was able to stand on it with all my weight (190lbs), so I think it's plenty strong. I'll take a picture of it in the trunk when it dries completely. Also, those lighter spots on the side of the box are not air bubbles, that's where the first layer of glass I put over the cloth did not fully attach to the cloth, I made sure they weren't air bubbles. Let me know what you think.

Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

looking really nice. good job. you makin only one or 2? after its complete u should make repeats hehe n sell em make some money off of em. but ya nice job cant wait to see it finished
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Good job! Have fun triming that glass around the rings it really sucks...

FYI, people, I have one of these for sale...I'm getting my RF T2 subs next week so i have to get rid of it!! (for sale with or without JL 10W3v2)
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itscypha
looking really nice. good job. you makin only one or 2? after its complete u should make repeats hehe n sell em make some money off of em. but ya nice job cant wait to see it finished
Just one right now. My friends said I should try to make them and sell, but the turnover time probably wouldn't be in the interest of people looking to buy. I mean I think this has taken me about two weeks already.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
Good job! Have fun triming that glass around the rings it really sucks...
I can imagine it does. But I plan on using the dremel and a heavy duty cutting disc for the most part, and then a grinding/wood cutting bit for the touch up. I'll use the cutting disc for the cloth wrinkles where it wraps around too. I got some nice practice using that when I trimmed the base glass in the first steps. We'll see how things go tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
I can imagine it does. But I plan on using the dremel and a heavy duty cutting disc for the most part, and then a grinding/wood cutting bit for the touch up. I'll use the cutting disc for the cloth wrinkles where it wraps around too. I got some nice practice using that when I trimmed the base glass in the first steps. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Don't do TOO much cutting of wrinkles...they have to either glass or bondo in your newly created weak spot...

I'd just grind them down around the ring...I assume you're carpeting it?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

looks really good
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Damn I want one of those boxes...
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

*cough*ihaveoneforsalepmme*cough*
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
s* if i had the time n patience i would try it.. maybe someday lolz.. cant wait to see when its all hooked up n done.. good s*