Notices

ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread

Ok, so i have been doing alot and alot of searching and studing about ECUflash/ Evoscan/ and the tactrix cable for flashing the ECU. I wanted to make a thread that will hopefully answer not only questions i may have but for other newbs in the future, that would like to tune there cars using the tactrix cable. Here is what i know so far. The tactrix cable is a device that is used to flash the ecu. It connects to the OBD2 connector under the dash, and to your computer USB port so you can logg, view, and modify the cars ECU. In order to use the tactrix cable, you need logging software such as ECUflash, Mitsulogger, or Evoscan. I know its the best thing out there for tuning our cars.

Here are some questions that i have that are prob very simple answers, i just learn in a different way and in order for me to fully understand something i need to ask alot of questions.

1.) I have downloaded ECUflash or Evoscan. Can i simply plug in my tactrix cable to the PC and begin to logg/ flash the ECU? Or is there a certain set up process that needs to be done first?

2.) What is a ROM? Im pretty sure the rom is just the ecu image right?

3.) Whats are definition files, how are these used, whats there intent?

4.) Is there a limit to how many times i can flash my lancer ECU?

5.) What are the risks of using the tactrix cable? ie; Ecu freezes, locks, etc.

Little bit more involved questions;

1.) Maps? these are simply the way the ECU lay's out figures correct?

2.) For injector scaling, is there a certain mathamatical equation in order to come up with the lentency numbers? For example, i know the scaling part is generally 15-20% of the injector size, like 370cc would be scalled to 296 or so to start... you logg the fuel trims to get within -5/+5 as close to zero as possible, but how do you come up with the lentency numbers?

3.) For begginer tunners like myself, after learning to scale the injectors, whats the next step? Is there a certain easyer way to do it? From reading and research is seems like you want to first logg knocksum and get rid of as much knock as possible by adjusting the timing. Then you want to work on ARF to achive a 11.5 ARF while in boost right? Is this the ideal way of tuning?

Thanks guys! Hopefully more questions will arise and this thread can be a quick referance for other people as well that have any questions about the tactrix cable

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Sep 29, 2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Ok, so i have been doing alot and alot of searching and studing about ECUflash/ Evoscan/ and the tactrix cable for flashing the ECU. I wanted to make a thread that will hopefully answer not only questions i may have but for other newbs in the future, that would like to tune there cars using the tactrix cable. Here is what i know so far. The tactrix cable is a device that is used to flash the ecu. It connects to the OBD2 connector under the dash, and to your computer USB port so you can logg, view, and modify the cars ECU. In order to use the tactrix cable, you need logging software such as ECUflash, Mitsulogger, or Evoscan. I know its the best thing out there for tuning our cars.

Here are some questions that i have that are prob very simple answers, i just learn in a different way and in order for me to fully understand something i need to ask alot of questions.

1.) I have downloaded ECUflash or Evoscan. Can i simply plug in my tactrix cable to the PC and begin to logg/ flash the ECU? Or is there a certain set up process that needs to be done first?Begin to log yes after selecting the items you wish to log. Flash no not until you download Senates definition files so you can view your ecu image on the computer.

2.) What is a ROM? Im pretty sure the rom is just the ecu image right?Correct

3.) Whats are definition files, how are these used, whats there intent?This the file someone has created that is used to break down the info retrieved from the ecu and put it on the ecu screen in a format we can decipher

4.) Is there a limit to how many times i can flash my lancer ECU?Contrary to popular belief no I have flashed my car thousands of times now.

5.) What are the risks of using the tactrix cable? ie; Ecu freezes, locks, etc.only risk really is not doing enough research and modifying your ecu before your ready and inputting wrong info causing engine failure

1.) Maps? these are simply the way the ECU lay's out figures correct?Correct

2.) For injector scaling, is there a certain mathamatical equation in order to come up with the lentency numbers? For example, i know the scaling part is generally 15-20% of the injector size, like 370cc would be scalled to 296 or so to start... you logg the fuel trims to get within -5/+5 as close to zero as possible, but how do you come up with the lentency numbers?

3.) For begginer tunners like myself, after learning to scale the injectors, whats the next step? Is there a certain easyer way to do it? From reading and research is seems like you want to first logg knocksum and get rid of as much knock as possible by adjusting the timing. Then you want to work on ARF to achive a 11.5 ARF while in boost right? Is this the ideal way of tuning?

Thanks guys! Hopefully more questions will arise and this thread can be a quick referance for other people as well that have any questions about the tactrix cable
I would answer more of these but running out of time have to leave for work
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
I would answer more of these but running out of time have to leave for work
NP, thanks for the input man! Greatly appreciated!!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
1.) I have downloaded ECUflash or Evoscan. Can i simply plug in my tactrix cable to the PC and begin to logg/ flash the ECU? Or is there a certain set up process that needs to be done first? You need to also download the master definition list file for EcuFlash to be able to read your ECU's ROM.

2.) What is a ROM? Im pretty sure the rom is just the ecu image right? Yes.

3.) Whats are definition files, how are these used, whats there intent? Definition files are required to turn your ROM into something readable. If you looked at your ROM without a definition file you would just see 256K of hex values.

4.) Is there a limit to how many times i can flash my lancer ECU? Technically yes, but there is no exact amount. Like any memory chip used in numerous applications (flash drives, SSD drives, video game systems, cell phones, etc.) the memory in the ECU can only undergo so many write/erase cycles before they begin to fail. The average should be in the hundreds and shouldn't be cause for alarm. Worst case, you pick up another ECU and continue on.

5.) What are the risks of using the tactrix cable? ie; Ecu freezes, locks, etc. Bricked ECU, improper tune leading to a blown engine.

1.) Maps? these are simply the way the ECU lay's out figures correct? Yes. These are the addresses in the ECU that are grouped together to form tables/maps.

2.) For injector scaling, is there a certain mathamatical equation in order to come up with the lentency numbers? For example, i know the scaling part is generally 15-20% of the injector size, like 370cc would be scalled to 296 or so to start... you logg the fuel trims to get within -5/+5 as close to zero as possible, but how do you come up with the lentency numbers? See here for tuning latencies: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/5889337-post4.html

3.) For begginer tunners like myself, after learning to scale the injectors, whats the next step? Is there a certain easyer way to do it? From reading and research is seems like you want to first logg knocksum and get rid of as much knock as possible by adjusting the timing. Then you want to work on ARF to achive a 11.5 ARF while in boost right? Is this the ideal way of tuning? After you have your injectors dialed in for size and latency, figure out the target AFR you want to shoot for and make fuel adjustments accordingly. Lower values in the fuel tables mean more fuel in EcuFlash. If you are getting knock, pull back your timing.

Here's my input.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Here's my input.
Awesome thanks! Great information here! If anyone else has any questions about the tactrix cable/ ECU flash post up! I'm sure ill have more questions soon!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Got my tactrix cable in today! I installed ECUflash onto my comp. Selected something like "Mitsubishi vehicles 2003-2005 evo5-8" and hit "read from ECU" and this is what came up!!

[14:33:54.452] EcuFlash Version 1.42.2595
[14:33:54.452] OS Version Windows Vista
[14:33:54.452] Qt Version 4.5.0
[14:33:54.467] 56 memory models read.
[14:33:54.467] scanning for metadata models in C:/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata
[14:33:55.107] 343 ROM metadata models scanned.
[14:33:55.107] checksum module "subarudbw" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] checksum module "mitsucan" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "wrx02" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "wrx04" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "sti04" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "sti05" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "mitsukernel" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "mitsukernelocp" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "mitsubootloader" loaded.
[14:33:55.107] flashing tool "shbootmode" loaded.
[14:33:55.122] flashing tool "shaudmode" loaded.
[14:33:55.122] flashing tool "subarucan" loaded.
[14:33:55.122] flashing tool "mitsucan" loaded.
[14:36:50.501] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Universal TX28QLPm49cb74d5059701c88f3abb4ec70ec9889df33b38
[14:37:01.585] sending init sequence 1 (0001)
[14:37:04.877] sending init sequence 1 (0003)
[14:37:08.153] sending init sequence 1 (FFFF)
[14:37:10.899] no response to any known code
[14:37:10.899] interface close

What did i do wrong?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
You have the wrong version of EcuFlash for the cable you have (1.3U). See here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7633986-post2.html
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man! How do i find version 1.41? its not on their site!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I found a version older (1.29) i downloaded that, and still getting the same error message. Am i suppost to hook up the re-flash cable as well? I only plugged in the OBD2 port.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

I found a version older (1.29) i downloaded that, and still getting the same error message. Am i suppost to hook up the re-flash cable as well? I only plugged in the OBD2 port.
I did the same thing as you, then figured out you need both. For ecuflash, you need both for logging you jsut need the obd2 one
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

can you use any obd2 port to usb cable?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by burner67
can you use any obd2 port to usb cable?
This is a good question as I have heard you can and you cant. I think in the beginning you could use any but now you need ones that have the serial number. But I dont know this for sure
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Wait...so i have to plug in the OBD2 and the FLASH connector for ECUflash to read the ECU?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, it worked, ECUflash loaded up for me and i was all connected and i could read the ROM. They had an option for 2002 lancer OZ which was cool lol. So, can i log with ECUflash or do i need evo scan? If i can log with ECUflash do i leave both connectors (FLASH & OBD2) connected with the car running or is there a certain way i have to do things? Also where do i input the definition files? How do i load them?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from what i understand, you have to make your changes while the car is off...

Quick Reply: ECUflash/ Tactrix cable newb thread