Notices

ECU boost control for us?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU boost control for us?

I see all these options in the evo roms and lots of threads on psi based ecu boost control, but I have this question about if we can make it happen.

Evo's have a wastegate solenoid and I don't know what that is. I sort of have this assumption that it basically opens and closes to raise boost sort of like a boost controller, and that somewhat makes sense since the stock WGA is like 15lbs or whatever but evos run more boost than that. We have to disable it to prevent an ses light.

Anywho, I'm wondering if the ecu based boost control uses this item (the wastegate solenoid) to make it's changes, or if not how else. In my own logic, the limits (whether psi or load based) are enforced either by forcing the wastegate open or by reducing the amount of gase (or some other way, not sure).

So, double anywho, if anyone has implemented a wastegate solenoid please let me know. I think it would be a pretty cool feature, might even make a nice safety feature to prevent overboost i guess.

thoughts?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Digging this up since i didnt see it mentioned anywhere else except for where i asked a while bac kin the tephra thread.

Has anyone researched this any more? If hardware wise the BCS out isnt there, how about assigning that routine to one of the other outputs that might not be used say for the some of the emissions solenoids, like the purge solenoid?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 92LaserRs
Digging this up since i didnt see it mentioned anywhere else except for where i asked a while bac kin the tephra thread.

Has anyone researched this any more? If hardware wise the BCS out isnt there, how about assigning that routine to one of the other outputs that might not be used say for the some of the emissions solenoids, like the purge solenoid?
The wastegate solenoid probably doesn't have hardware attached thus the different motherboard layouts from the evo.

The other solenoids could definitely be done I'm not sure what kind of amperage those circuits can handle hopefully it would be the same. Definitely not your average joe sort of mod since it would take a lot of cutting of the wiring and patching it to work with the BCS.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Just as an update, I bought a 3port GM solenoid like the evo's use, and the pigtail, as well as some ECU pins. I wired a piece of wire on a pin, into pin 11 or whatever the boost solenoid is, 11 or 13...and then ran that to the solenoid. Then, I ran the other wire to a ground.

In evoscan, I hit "activate Wastegate solenoid", and nothing happened. I haven't used a multimeter or anything to test yet, so I don't exactly know what the deal is, but I think it might not work. One thing I am not sure of is that exactly how the evo wiring works, ecu to solenoid to ground? no relay or anything inbetween? Second...a possible solution is to get an evo ecu, and then you know that pin 11 or whatever is hot. Third possibility is that the pin that gets voltage when the wastegate solenoid is activated is not the same on our lancer ecu that the evo has, but that it's a different one....if it exists.

I may just give up on it, and run an MBC because it's cheaper than buying an evo ecu...anyone see an 8 ecu for cheap? or want to sell me one so I can run ecu boost?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered an evo ecu, and am going to try boost control with that..../giddy like a school girl
Old Oct 8, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Got the Evo ecu and installed it. plugged in gm 3port, pressed activate....nothing happened. Pullout out multimeter, attached to pin 11, and touched ground, pressed activate but no voltage. Set multimeter to "continuity" pressed activate again, touched pin 11 and ground...*beeeeeeep*.

The pin 11 isn't putting power out, it's a switched ground. I felt a little dumb for never trying this on my stock ECU, so...to see if I wasted my money, I plugged it back in, and did the continuity test. The circuit was NOT completed, so the stock lancer ecu can NOT do boost control.

Now, I just need to make sure the stock evo wiring supplies 12v and not 5v or something odd to the BCS harness. Once I know, I'll wire it in to whatever makes sense and then it's upping the boost for me!