Notices

My 2010 Lancer Gts Cvt Modding List

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2010 Lancer Gts Cvt Modding List

Oh Hai Master Mitsubishi Jedis, this is my first post and i hope i post it on the right section. If i didnt, flame me all you want. Its my fault. Im also a total car noob and im trying to learn, so some friendly suggestions are appreciated.

Anyways i got my 2010 Gts Cvt like 6 months ago and since Christmas is near, im treating myself with mods that will make my lancer much more enjoyable.

Here are the mods ive bought and is thinking about buying.

Bought
INJEN SHORT RAM INTAKE 09-10 LANCER GTS 2.4

Thinking About Buying
RRM pully
Sprint Booster
Exhaust (Not sure what to buy)
TUR TUR TUR TURBOOOOOOOOOOO (seriously saving up for the rrm kit)

So im basically just waiting for my sri to arrive (OMG CANT FECKING WAIT). I know its not gona change much however my car is too quiet and i want to give it some oomth.

So basically the reason ive not bought the things i listed is because im not sure if its the right thing. Ive been lurking on the forums for posts and stuff but there are a lot of suggestions, criticism, and different feedback from people. Therefore, I decide to start my own thread and hope to learn from different opinions. Would also LOVE YOU if you can hold my hands and guide me through on what kind of brand i should buy or what kind of model i should buy.

PEACE friendly, nice, awesome, super good looking people on this forum.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyK1d (Mar 7, 2022)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Intake and exhaust don't matter - just pick one in your price range and install it - they're not much more than noise makers. A pulley and a Sprint Booster just make the throttle more responsive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but don't expect any additional power from them. The RRM pulley is a precision CNC machined part and is very nice quality, so that's a good choice. You will get more noise & vibration after installing it, however, since it's not harmonically dampened like the OEM pulley. Don't ignore suspension components either - a go fast car doesn't mean much if it can't be controlled.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyK1d (Mar 7, 2022)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:11 PM

so which one would you suggest for my pulley. The rrm one or the oem one. Moreover, what kind of suspension will i be looking into investing. Cause you brought up a good point and being able to control my car is crucial.

For the exhaust, i know its just a noise maker which is exactly what im looking for. I also know that it wont be that much of a boost for my car however its always nice to have a little more noise. I just dont want to invest in a exhaust that is just plain rice and annoying, i want it to suit my intake because i heard people say that its important to buy your exhaust based on your intake. Therefore, there is my dilemma since im very new to this and still learning step by step.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

The RRM pulley (or any lightweight pulley) will increase your throttle response. You'll see the difference firstly when you pull off the original pulley...it weighs several pounds whereas an aluminum pulley will only weigh several ounces. Less rotating mass means less work is needed to spin the part. Moving away from a dampened (OEM) pulley may also have the consequence of prematurely wearing your motor due to increased vibrations and ever so slightly throwing your motor out of balance. That point can be argued though, since an I4 engine is already out of balance to begin with. Wear can be negated for the most part with proper lubrication (i.e. change your frigging oil). Personally, I have about 60k miles on a lightweight pulley (the RRM one) that has an inherent design flaw and have experienced no ill effects (no leaks and oil pressure is right on the mark). I installed it properly and laser aligned all of the pulleys afterward, which may have something to do with it. Your results may vary.

There's no such thing as an exhaust that suits your intake in this case - the difference in flow from the OEM air box to whatever intake you chose is next to nothing and the engine is 1998cc, so matching it with an exhaust makes no sense. The only time an exhaust really comes into play is in engines that have substantially more cubic capacity than ours or if you turbo/supercharge your vehicle. Since you said you planned on turboing the car, I'd hold off on the exhaust until you get the turbo.

The stock suspension can be upgraded by replacing it with a Ralliart suspension, which is largely a plug and play upgrade. You could go with coil overs, which are normally just as uncomfortable to drive on as they are expensive...the car will handle like a champ though. If you're not planning on auto-crossing it or anything, I'd just stay as basic as possible. OEM brakes are okay...not the best but certainly not the worst. Good quality rotors with some nice pads is all you need to do there to improve it. A big brake kit is a waste.

There's some basic advice for you. There will be PLENTY of people who are going to say the diametric opposite of what I told you, but fortunately they're all wrong. My last piece of advice is this: IF you're saving 5Gs for a turbo, just take that money and buy a project car: you can learn on it (you said you're new to cars)...you can do whatever you want to it with no real consequences...you're not making payments on it...you don't have to rely on it to get to work, etc. A Protege or an older Lancer can be found for around that price point and they have epic amounts of after-market support...they're the blank canvases of the automotive world.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:22 PM

first of all, thanks for being straight forward with me, really appreciate your reply. Just wondering, for the ralliart shocks, where can i find myself one of these? and does this lower your car, cause the stock gts is not low AT ALL.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the greddy exhaust sounds pretty good, have you looked at it? http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...r-p-63024.html
if you are on a budget then springs are pretty good choice for suspension, you can probably install them yourself and shouldnt be too hard to take out if you decide to get coilshttp://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...4208_4209.html

-anthony
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome bro
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on how fast you wanna go.. around turns coil overs an some nice light weight wheels. in a straight line well idk much about the reg. lancer.....turbo i would assume but still going to be limited because the type of car. it being fwd an auto. but good luck

-nick
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:46 AM

Thank all of you and your comments/suggestions. After lurking around the forum non stop for a week or so, ive learned sooooo much. I actually get what their talking about on import magz. well Im definitely going for the greddy se exhaust (will this fit the 2010 model with no prob?) and sportsline springs (going to lower my car too). Probably get a carbon fiber hood from seibon. A timing controller, sprint booster, light weight pulley (not sure which one to get). Already got the injen sri which really woke up my car. No more sneaky mivec engine. Gonna spend at least 2k this xmas to do some modding. Dont hesitate to guide me the right way or yell at me when i said something stupid like SUPER CHARGING MY BRAND NEW CAR CAUSE IM AN IDIOT.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I think this answer could be found on the forum somewhere, but i was just hoping i can hop back on this thread to find the things i need. What is the difference between the 09 model and the 2010 model lancer gts, I heard nothing has change when it comes to the drivetrain, only like full color display lights and stupid stuff like that.

Last edited by Koa257; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:47 PM

im selling a RRM pulley if you want one cheaper than rrm prices.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Koa257
EDIT: I think this answer could be found on the forum somewhere, but i was just hoping i can hop back on this thread to find the things i need. What is the difference between the 09 model and the 2010 model lancer gts, I heard nothing has change when it comes to the drivetrain, only like full color display lights and stupid stuff like that.
I have an '09 and I'm pretty sure that there are no major differences with the '10, except, as you mentioned, the full-color LCD (which I'm so jealous of), the Sun & Sound package packing more punch (650w in '09 vs. 710, I believe in '10). Another difference that comes to mind quickly is the tail lights, but other than that I don't believe that there is anything drastically different (drivetrain or otherwise).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Coriggs
I have an '09 and I'm pretty sure that there are no major differences with the '10, except, as you mentioned, the full-color LCD (which I'm so jealous of), the Sun & Sound package packing more punch (650w in '09 vs. 710, I believe in '10). Another difference that comes to mind quickly is the tail lights, but other than that I don't believe that there is anything drastically different (drivetrain or otherwise).
super sweet, now im about to click the pay it now button on my next mod, the greddy se exhaust, already got the timing controller and rrm crank pulley. maybe when the warranty is almost up, ill super charge it and watch my engine BLOW
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:57 PM

Good call on the greddy se

Im surprised no one warned you of the RRM pulley issues, the main one being IT IS NOT BALANCED!!!

Try to get your money back and buy the RPW alum balanced pulley. The shipping may take a little longer but it is a mucher better product.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Koa257
first of all, thanks for being straight forward with me, really appreciate your reply. Just wondering, for the ralliart shocks, where can i find myself one of these? and does this lower your car, cause the stock gts is not low AT ALL.
The only way struts/shocks would lower your car if its blown lol if you want a turbo car you should have gotten the ralliart or evo. If you plan on boosting why waste your money on those bolt-on they would be useless when you go turbo.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by fulton246
Good call on the greddy se

Im surprised no one warned you of the RRM pulley issues, the main one being IT IS NOT BALANCED!!!

Try to get your money back and buy the RPW alum balanced pulley. The shipping may take a little longer but it is a mucher better product.
I haven't heard of the RPW pulley, but I'll look into this now that you said it. Someone mentioned to me that putting an aftermarket crankshaft pulley in my car would through the balance off, but I figured that if the product was being sold and I had seen a lot of people online who have purchased and installed it (and that it was supposedly precisely CNC machined) that it would have no inherent problems, but I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Coriggs; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2010 Lancer Gts Cvt Modding List