Notices

Greddy SP Elite exhaust rattle - help to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greddy SP Elite exhaust rattle - help to diagnose

So a few weeks ago I installed a Greddy sp elite axleback exhaust. Everything was great and then a few days ago I began to hear a slight rattle at low rpm's. Mainly it's when I am in reverse and just start to take my foot off the clutch to back up. I also hear it if I'm going slow in first.

I checked underneath and can't see it hitting anywhere. Any suggestions on what to look for??

Could i have not seated the exhaust correctly and the flange is what's rattling??
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be a heat shield rattling
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:32 PM

I just Ran out and heard it rattling. I got underneath while the car was running and in neutral so I could check it out. I pressed up up the muffler at the junction where it connects to the main pipe. That stopped the rattle and it came back when I let go.

So Im assuming that I didn't seat the gasket properly. Any suggestions on how to get it corrected?? When I first installed it I connected that before the exhaust was fully hung so maybe that's the cause???
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:23 PM

this why i change to racing sport, i have se b4 but it possible to fix it but it will not fully fix. i will go back once the car it hit the bump n hole as long the pipe it move the rattle coming back..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mpetruzz
I just Ran out and heard it rattling. I got underneath while the car was running and in neutral so I could check it out. I pressed up up the muffler at the junction where it connects to the main pipe. That stopped the rattle and it came back when I let go.

So Im assuming that I didn't seat the gasket properly. Any suggestions on how to get it corrected?? When I first installed it I connected that before the exhaust was fully hung so maybe that's the cause???
Although few weeks late, but still...

Past experience with SE (Blue tip): The joint on the midpipe has a spherical flange on all Lancers and the axlebacks have matching flange, but not exact/perfect fit. Mine was leaking after 20 mins of driving when exhaust pipes warmed up and slightl distorted. To avoid rattle and possible leakage use high temp RTV gasket material sold at any automotive store. This will improve the issue. Let the gasket material cure prior to driving the car.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:16 PM

I'm pretty sure now that the SP Elite I had was leaking at that flange once it heated up. To experiment with noise, I removed my muffler and cruised around. Was actually quieter than the SP. It improved slightly with the use of high heat/copper RTV, but didn't eliminate it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fenris
I'm pretty sure now that the SP Elite I had was leaking at that flange once it heated up. To experiment with noise, I removed my muffler and cruised around. Was actually quieter than the SP. It improved slightly with the use of high heat/copper RTV, but didn't eliminate it.
I used your "pointer" when I had the same problem. I'm selling my SE anyways - too loud for my tastes with 5M at 3000 RPM on highway/interstate.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:43 AM

And this is supposed to be the quietest... I still think GReddy has a quality control issue and needs to acknowledge it. Some cars seem quiet, others obnoxious.

For those who think it's just an opinion of loudness, I tried an open exhaust set up again over the weekend and it wasn't bad... has me searching for the Works AB.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:13 AM

And this is supposed to be the quietest... I still think GReddy has a quality control issue and needs to acknowledge it. Some cars seem quiet, others obnoxious.

For those who think it's just an opinion of loudness, I tried an open exhaust set up again over the weekend and it wasn't bad... has me searching for the Works AB.

Maybe this is the true reason why SE was discontinued.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:53 AM

So you guys think the SP is not worth it? The exahust i have now its kind of loud and was thinking about getting the sp but if its too loud too, maybe is not a good idea. Anyone have a video while cruising on the city with it?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:00 AM

I found my problem of the rattling. The bolt that attached the rubber hanger to the frame was coming loose from vibration. Put a dab of loctite on it and it's gone!!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLKGTS
So you guys think the SP is not worth it? The exahust i have now its kind of loud and was thinking about getting the sp but if its too loud too, maybe is not a good idea. Anyone have a video while cruising on the city with it?
Some of us have had issues with it. Seems to be really loud for some people and really quiet for most which is why i think it's a quality control problem.

I say get it and if you don't like it, sell it and try again. Also, if you have a good camera, get some video!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:39 PM

Some of us have had issues with it. Seems to be really loud for some people and really quiet for most which is why i think it's a quality control problem.

I say get it and if you don't like it, sell it and try again. Also, if you have a good camera, get some video!
Lol will be nice if those of you that already have it make a nice video
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:42 PM

i was about to say. my exhaust did something similar but it was just where a screw from the heat shield was too low and rattling against the muffler....so i cut it off. id recommend welding your exhaust on too, otherwise it'll keep leaking.