Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Exhaust: Decisions decisions Greddy vs ETS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust: Decisions decisions Greddy vs ETS

Hello everyone,

I've finally decided to go against my no modding streak and want to go with a catback exhaust on my '12 GSR.

I've narrowed it down to 2 catbacks.

Greddy Spectrum Elite (Polished tips)

ETS V2 Quiet

Here is my dilemma,

There are tons of videos on the ETS exhaust, but almost nil of the Greddy SP elite.

From the very limited videos, and zero personal experience with either sound, it seems to me that the ETS exhaust has a deeper growl than the Greddy does.

As you can tell from these two exhaust choices, I want a sound that isn't too far from stock, little to no drone, but a nice growl in spirited driving.

Only problem is that I really love the look of the Greddy and the sound of the ETS, and I had a Greddy exhaust on my old 2001 Galant. Really loved the sound of that exhaust.

So, to all of you more experienced members:
- Your personal choice
- Build quality, Greddy vs ETS
- Sound difference really that noticeable in person as it is in video?

Last edited by SpardaVR4; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS is great quality no doubt, and their customer service is great.

I have a GReddy Ti-C. I love it. Perfect fitment, great materials, and it doesn't drone while cruising (I have the silencer removed too). I bought my GReddy from MAP, which was also great with customer service and pricing.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
ETS is great quality no doubt, and their customer service is great.

I have a GReddy Ti-C. I love it. Perfect fitment, great materials, and it doesn't drone while cruising (I have the silencer removed too). I bought my GReddy from MAP, which was also great with customer service and pricing.
I've heard great things about ETS customer service. I hate/love making these kinds of decisions.

One second I watch a video of the ETS V2 Quiet and I make up my mind. I love the sound, but then I watch a Greddy video and I love the way the exhaust looks.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Check out my review for this exhaust. It's only $320 shipped. If you are dead set on one of them, I'd go with ETS personally.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:02 PM

Ets ftw. I love the way the v2 and the quiet versions sound. Only gripe is not everything on the exhaust from ets is stainless. The flange to the cat and the muffler hangars were regular steel on my friends exhaust.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Go with the ETS V2 Quiet. I know lots of guys that have that same exhaust and they love it!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
ETS Baby! If you do decide you want the Greddy exhaust, I can still get you a deal on it. Either way we can take care of you.

We do use mild steel flanges. The reason is when the exhaust heats up the flanges also expand and contract. mild does a much better job at sealing and surfacing. This is also the reason many manifold manufacturers use mild flanges on stainless steel exhaust manifolds.

Hope this helps! Oh Yeah, you have a PM!

Thanks!

Michael
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Does a turboback require a tune?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

You "CAN" run the setup without a tune but honestly, I would recommend a tune if your replacing the cat with a test pipe. If your just adding a catback or downpipe, you will be fine for the most part, but you won't be able to extract optimal power until you have a tune.

Drive-ability is everything to me, so I would recommend a tune after your mods are installed.

Michael
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpardaVR4
I want a sound that isn't too far from stock, little to no drone, but a nice growl in spirited driving.
Based on this, ETS quiet is my suggestion. Tried, tested, and proven. An awesome sound just with the catback. And yup.. their customer service is the best I've experienced.

If you didn't check out my vids already, they're in my sig. It's a comparison of stock, then just catback, then full turbo back. With review.

Seems like the sig isn't working right... here's the link:
Vids: OEM vs ETS V2 Quiet vs +HFC/DP: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ds-review.html

Originally Posted by SpardaVR4
Sound difference really that noticeable in person as it is in video?
The real life sound is how it is in my vids.

Last edited by sun_ice4; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yea thats true but I just hate to pay for another retune if I get more parts. I was looking at your 3.5 TBE looks loud lol

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
You "CAN" run the setup without a tune but honestly, I would recommend a tune if your replacing the cat with a test pipe. If your just adding a catback or downpipe, you will be fine for the most part, but you won't be able to extract optimal power until you have a tune.

Drive-ability is everything to me, so I would recommend a tune after your mods are installed.

Michael
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Wow thanks for all of the comments guys! Michael, thanks for the pm! Can you give me a quote for the Greddy also just to compare. Leaning towards ETS at the moment, but it's nice to have options

Sun_ice4, I think I just **** my pants listening to those videos. Highly appreciated. If anyone has a nice close up of the ets v2 quiet pipes and tips that would be awesome!

Last edited by SpardaVR4; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Even though in post #2 I told you I went with a GReddy, I did only because I wanted single-exit and didn't like how loud the single-exit ETS was. Since you're looking at duals...I really think you can't go wrong going with the ETS, even if the pricing on the GReddy is a little less or same price.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on going TP/HFC, and later DP, you can get all those components from ETS and then they all match. I have Rexspeed TP because a friend gave it to me for free. Just another thing to consider. Matching manufacture for an entire exhaust is nice if you go the whole 9 yards later on.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

ETS easily.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Sent you another PM

Quick Reply: Exhaust: Decisions decisions Greddy vs ETS