Notices

First time doing spark plugs on this car, got a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time doing spark plugs on this car, got a couple questions

So, the last time I did a spark plug replacement was around 5 or 6 years ago on my old 97 Camaro. I now own a 2015 Lancer SE (2.4l 4-cyl) and I'm looking to replace the plugs with NGK Iridiums. I've already got the plugs, but I had a few questions before I go under the hood:

* I see the recommended gap is around .024, but other sources say it's closer to .040. What is the actual gap I should be aiming for?
* I know to use dielectric grease on the ignition coil boot before reinstalling, but is anti-seize necessary? If so, is just a drop okay or should the threads be coated?

Sorry for the easy questions I just want to make sure I get this right the first time
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Gap is listed in your owners manual. You can find a .pdf online if nobody here chimes in. I think the EvoScan website has service manuals linked on their site. They should come mostly pre-gapped. Carefully (iridium tip!) measure the gap. That will give you an idea.
I put a tad bit of anti-seize on my plug threads just in case moisture or something gets in there.
The following users liked this post:
DDRDiesel (Sep 21, 2018)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Gap is listed in your owners manual. You can find a .pdf online if nobody here chimes in. I think the EvoScan website has service manuals linked on their site. They should come mostly pre-gapped. Carefully (iridium tip!) measure the gap. That will give you an idea.
I put a tad bit of anti-seize on my plug threads just in case moisture or something gets in there.
Thanks for the tip about the owner's manual, I never would have thought to look there! Looks like my gap (For 2.4l, no turbo) is actually at .040, which is what the plugs were at out of the box! Looks like I'll need to re-adjust the plugs when I get home later before I do the swap.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:58 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Nice! The .024 is probably for the turbo engine.