Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

so i think im the lastest victim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
fired her up today and everything seems to be running ok...im kinda takng it easy ....ill update in a few days...
i also took out my CAI last night...at least untill all this weather passes...there was a lot of water in the piping....and the MAS got wet but it doesnt look like anything was bent or cut(in the MAS)...
I spent 5 minutes writing my post before this, and yours seems to point to one of the two things I described. You either took in a bit of moisture and it wasn't evaporating and passing through the combustion chamber, OR the Lancer has a key sensor that wasn't protected well enough and wasn't functioning properly.

The moisture thing is more likely according to what you've described, but I've read the EXACT same account from at least half a dozen people in the past few years, so it also wouldn't surprise me if we just had a poorly protected sensor that tended to act up when wet. Anyway, just idle her for a while before driving. Give a quick peek under the hood, and if you can put her on ramps or something give her a quick peek up her skirt. If you see anything odd, make note of it or fix it as appropriate.

Glad you're running again, homeslice.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i have to agree it wasnt hydrolock, everything ive read that you would of died in the parking lot.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
itresting bit of info but if you ever do hydrolock your engine cai or not uselly your insurance should cover it if you have full coverge it is the same as a accedent at least here in mass have met 2 people who got brand new engines after hydrolock
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

damn dude, ive gone through this THREE times in the past week and a half. you might wanna check your plugs, wires, and coils. i had a set of plugs that were maybe a month old and they were shot. also check your oil for any bubbles or water, as it could have possibly damaged your rings.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

imm going to chek plug and coils when i get home today(at work tat hte moment and its raining out side) thanks for all the help guys...i search hydrolocked last night...before i posted this and i really didnt read anything with the same sympotoms...i dunno i was just scurred
Old Jan 10, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think you can get hydrolock with a bypass...
I've seen them submerge a CAI in a aquarium full of water
and no water rose high enough to damage the engine...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

I was gonna suggest just taking the plugs out overnight to let the vapor vent out- you probably just got too much vapor and the spark and compression weren't engouh to keep burning the fuel. Once the plugs are out, you can take a thin dowel and stick the corner of a shop towel or cotton diaper through the sparkplug hole and see if it comes back wet. Also getting a fuel treatment that's designed to pull water from the fuel and engine might not hurt for a single tankful. A little water can't hurt- hell when I took my head off the first time, the two down cylinders nearly filled with coolant. She's runnin good now though Don't be scurr3d
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

^thanks...im home now...so ill let it coll for about an hour...and ill pull the pugs out...during my lunch break i went oout and got an oil change just to be safe
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

thank God it's cool. It would've been awesome if u had to get a new engine at it was a 4G93

It's so dumb when something like this happens, and people say "that's why i got a SRI"...that's just dumb to say in times like this. Cuz it happened already and the guy needs some emergency info instead of saying that a SRI would've been safer to use.

anyways...if it did hydrolock w/ a by-pass valve, couldn't u take the issue to AEM? Cuz aren't they proven to work .

Lookslikeanevo --> when you went through the big *** puddle, were you in gear? I usually put my car into neutral just to be safe so the throttle ain't open to suck in air.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

you wouldnt have had to worry about bringing it to the dealer... hydrolock is an insurance dealing. its an act of god.

glad to see everythings on the up and up though without all that fuss.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
thank God it's cool. It would've been awesome if u had to get a new engine at it was a 4G93 ....
why would he want the 1.8l mirage motor?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 06:59 PM
EvoM Guru

i don't think you should worry... my girlfriend ran into the rain yesterday and i spend all day taking the water out of all 4 piston chambers. Siphoned it out then used compressed air to blow them out thru the spark plug whole. Then i cleared the intake manifold runners. The water actually found it's way into the oil pan so i had to have it flushed as well. A set of new plugs and she was fine after a lot of drying work.

Just remember when entering a tone of water try to coast thru it... put the clutch in and don't touch the gas... if anything slowly let the clutch out to go thru. The second you open up the TB in that situation it is done. My girlfriend followed this rule and even though the car still sucked in a lot of water the low RPM's and closed TB prevented major damage.

Now i've taken the lower tube off the AEM she has and just put the filter directly on after the MAS... she has a short ram now and will keep that till the rainy season is over.

If your ride is still running your cool... pull out the dipstick to ensure there's no water in your oil(if it looks like peanut butter you need to flush it before a bearing goes out!), also make sure you check the spark plugs. If they are dark and coated looking then they got hurt from the water. Even though they work now don't trust them put in some new ones.

All in all it cost me about 130 bucks to fix the car and about 8hours of work. She's lucky in some ways. The biggest cost for me was 70 bucks for a small portable air compressor. It only cost 50 to flush the oil system and put on a new filter/new oil in. 10 bucks for plugs. Hope this helps and eases your worry.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:03 PM
EvoM Guru

On a side note most cars at low rpms don't get any damage from hydrolocking... if you try to crank over the motor before removing the water then you damage things. Also if you don't remove enough of the water and start it up you can Vapor lock it. If this happens to you guys just be smart and don't try to restart the car. First remove the plugs and crank the engine. If it spits water out you need to clean out the chambers and all other parts. If it doesn't and you can see down in and it's dry just check out the intake system, ensure it's dry, then reinstall the plugs and crank away.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

ya..im gonna go and take out the plugs right now...see how they are...like i said...i got an oil change....but ill pull the dlip stick just to make sure
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:13 PM
EvoM Guru

just keep an eye out for water... if it gets in there it will drain into the pan eventually and emulsify. Then bearings can get damaged.