Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

mirage exhaust fitment

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mirage exhaust fitment

figured i'd ask if the mirage catback exhausts from the 97-01 model years or any other years for that matter fit our cars. i tried to search for this and came up empty handed. i would like to know if they would fit because they have a choice of like 50+ different exhausts we only have like 10 at most. i know the mirage headers almost fit so im wondering if the catback design is similar to ours and might fit. i know the hanger would prolly be different but would the basic design of the piping fit our cars?
another reason for this is the mirage exhausts are way cheaper and me being 18 its hard to customize any car let alone one that the aftermarket parts are expensive for, and dont go tell me to buy a honda.lol.

Last edited by maxum17ft; Mar 5, 2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old Mar 5, 2005, 01:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn. That's a good idea.

Hopefully someone with some Mirage knowledge (Bahamut, WADAD) will chime in.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

im pretty sure that it will be a little short piping wise
Old Mar 5, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

thanks i thought it was an idea worth speaking of. about the fitment thats the original question, maybe someone will know if its too short or wrong bends, etc., although i think your right it maybe too short

Last edited by maxum17ft; Mar 5, 2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know if they would fit, in terms of what the Lancer's length is and what the Mirages length is. Of course I have a coupe so I am useless to you, in terms of dimensions. Bahamut also had a coupe, unsure on Wadadlig... essentially, you would have to get the dimensions (just get the basic length of the pipe) on the Mirage exhaust being sold, and then get a rough measurement on the length from your cat back, to determine if it would fit.

Alternately you can buy your own muffler (and if you are hardcore, your own mandrel bends) and have an exhaust shop weld you own custom Apex'i or GReddy or Tanabe or whatever exhaust.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

a decent exhaust will only have a couple bends in ti- just before the muffler section. If it proves to be too short, it's easy enough to splice in a section of tube. Or, if you don't want to cut off the flange and weld the section in, you can always get 2 flanges and the length of pipe you need and make an extender that way (oh, and use the gaskets, too) I=I <--- like that for the extender where "I" is a flange Or I===[===]====I where "[]" are the welds.

Speaking of gaskets, I couldn't find a parts store that had 2002 Lancer exhaust gaskets in stock (or even showed them as available) but they did have to 2001 Mirage gaskets. They don't quite fit and will need a little of the inside of each hole removed to match the stock bolt locations. ALSO the hole in the gasket appears to be about 2.25", so the 'rage started with bigger exhaust than us, too. between bigger stock exhaust, more parts, more efficient intake manifold.... why didn't I just get a Mirage
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
a decent exhaust will only have a couple bends in ti- just before the muffler section. If it proves to be too short, it's easy enough to splice in a section of tube. Or, if you don't want to cut off the flange and weld the section in, you can always get 2 flanges and the length of pipe you need and make an extender that way (oh, and use the gaskets, too) I=I <--- like that for the extender where "I" is a flange Or I===[===]====I where "[]" are the welds.

Speaking of gaskets, I couldn't find a parts store that had 2002 Lancer exhaust gaskets in stock (or even showed them as available) but they did have to 2001 Mirage gaskets. They don't quite fit and will need a little of the inside of each hole removed to match the stock bolt locations. ALSO the hole in the gasket appears to be about 2.25", so the 'rage started with bigger exhaust than us, too. between bigger stock exhaust, more parts, more efficient intake manifold.... why didn't I just get a Mirage

I guess Mitsu made up for it with 7 more horses and gobs more torque in the big brother motor, that you have.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

I had a Silver coupe too. (a DE)

I never had the chance to do any exhaust work on my Mirage.
I still miss that thing, but I'm enjoying all the power amenities I got with the Lancer.

Good luck on the exhaust.

WADAD
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

ha, ya but our gas milage is stinky, one thing i just noticed though is that doesnt the mirage exhaust exit the drivers side, where the lancer exits the passenger side. i really wanna try this but still aint sure if the fitment is easy. i would have a custom exhaust made but they tend to not look as pretty. did anyone have a 4dr mirage?

Last edited by maxum17ft; Mar 5, 2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maxum17ft
ha, ya but our gas milage is stinky, one thing i just noticed though is that doesnt the mirage exhaust exit the drivers side, where the lancer exits the passenger side.
I just looked up the 4 door and yes the exhaust is on the drivers side.
I'm gonna take a guess and say unless you want to modify your bumper the Mirage exhaust will not fit on the Lancer.

WADAD
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

true true....
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

that stinks, really stinks, oh well, you guys have any opinion on which muffler is the absolute best to go w/ a custom made cat back, im looking for a semi loud muffler w/ the best performance and sound. any suggestions?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

That is all going to be your personal taste.

I went with something that had a small tip to fit snuggly in the opening of the OZ body kit.
I didn't want anything too loud and too showy either so I figured a smaller tip would do the job.

WADAD
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Oh then, most definitely there would be fitment issues. All 5G Mirages have their exhaust exiting on the driver's side. Didnt know the Lancers was on the passenger side.

As for the choice of muffler, like Wadadlig said, it is all personal preference. I HAAAAATE loud exhausts.... they are cool for about 4 seconds. I preder something quiet but would bark when you get on the gas. I had the Apex'i N1 NA muffler and it was great. Tidy at idle and cruise, and when you got on it, it barked. The tip was also a decent size, nothing outrageous. When I went FI, I switched to the turbo version of that muffler and HOLY COW, the tip is a potato launcher, and it was LOUD. I have a silencer in it and it is nice and quiet now.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy

Gasket? where is it 2.25 inch? If I had remembered correctly, the pre-cat gasket is about 2 1/8 inches or so. Post-cat gasket was about 2 inches. To the muffler, it was reduced to 1.5 or 1.75 inches . . . gotta look in my past notes. I just remeber it was puny, not puny as the civic DX's nickel-size exhaust.

I don't know if a mirage exhaust will attach to the lancer. The piping is different, and the lancer is longer.

Quick Reply: mirage exhaust fitment