Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Different management units / different use and benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's also the HKS Super AFR, though it isn't made anymore. It has more tuning points than the S-AFC I and also has a seperate idle setting. It uses a processor which analyzes the MAF signal instead of simply just altering it, but I don't really know how advantageous this is. It isn't as flashy but would seem to do a better job. If I didn't get a deal on the S-AFC II, I would have prowled eBay til I got a Super AFR.

Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think that bahamut had one and I believe that Wadad currently has one; perhaps they can attest to its benefits.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

ECUTEK
Wrx and Evo ECU Reflash
Ecutek has recentrly released FlashEVO, and ECU reflash for the entire lineup of Mitsubishi Evolutions. Ecutek still offers its popular ECU Reflash for the Subaru WRX, STi and Forester XT. The Ecutek Reflash combined with the Ecutek software allows tuners full access to the very powerful and complex features built into their ECUs. With the ability to tap into such settings as boost profile, boost limit, rev limit and fuel & ignition timing maps, the customer is able to get an optimized tune which unlocks the car's full power potential through the local Ecutek tuner.
www.ecutek.com

POWER ENTERPRISE
Camcon CC-101
The Camcon CC-101 unit is Power Enterprise's answer for the growing demands of the Toyota/Scion tuning nedds! This unit allow the user to adjust the V V T- i cam timing from +20 -20 degrees from 2,000rpm all the way up to 9,000rpm. The user interface is simple with only three buttons required to do all the settings and installation a breeze. To further fine-tune your motor, this unit also has the capabilities of an Air Fuel Controller to adjust fuel from +20% -10% for an additonal improvement in performance. Power Enterprise's Camcon CC-101 can also be used in Honda vehicles to control VTEC crossover point and AFC to make one versatile unit that will work in a variety of vehicles.
www.powerenterpriseusa.net

MOTEC
M-Series EMS
From performance enthusiasts to top level race teams worldwide, the Motec brand is renowned for sophistication, precision and reliability. Motec engine management systems are engineered with an uncompromising approach to quality, using only the best components and manufacturing processes, combined with leading edge technology for maximum system flexibility. The right choice of ECU depends on each customer's specific needs, but with the range of options Motec provides, there is a solution to suit every application. The M4 and M48 models have been joined in recent years by the new generation M400, M600 and M800/M880 units that offer advanced functionality such as fully variable cam timing and valve lift as well as Drive by Wire. Motec systems are compatible with the majority of factory sensors and are suitable for sequential injection and multi-coil applications.

HALTECH
E8 ECU
The Haltech E8 performance ECU is made for those who are on a budget but need full sequential control for their engine. The E8 is capable of controllin sequential injection on 4,5,6,8 and 10-cylinder applications. With 8 channels capable of controlling injection and ignition duties, the E8 can support most modern engines with mutli-coil ignition systems, as well as conventional distributor ignition systems. In addition to controlling fuel and spark, the E8 can control various auxiliary engine functions such as stepper motor and BAC/IAC closed loop idle control, closed loop turbo wastegate control, 02 sensor closed loop mixture control and on board datalogging. Its new features include user define able mapping points and the ability to calibrate just about any sensor for OEM applications.

A'PEX
Power FC
A'PEX Integration's Power FC is the solution to many of the constraints and limitations associated with most piggyback fuel controllers. The Power FC is a complete, standalone, total engine management system capable of handling cirtually anything thrown in its path. From multiple point fuel and ignition control, to VTEC engagement and boost settings, teh Power FC accommodates even the most demanding performance enthusiasts by replacing the factory ECU and controlling all engine parameters. The factory engine harness does not need to be replaced and all critical accessories such as A/C continues to function. By using the optional FC COMMANDER, users can adjust and modify a wide range of settings. By changing various parameters and data, the Power FC will adapt to any of your performance needs.

HKS
F-CON V Pro
The race-proven HKS F-CON V Pro standalone engine management system is the ultimate solution fro complete engine control. And best of all it connects as easily as a puggyback fuel and timing controller would. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing adjustments becomes critical for performance and safety. The F-Con V Pro with its 32x32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps can also control up to eight injectors which can be set to fire as batch, sequentially or staged. Programming is done via the HKS Power Writer software, which only authorized HKS Pro Dealers have access to. The HKS Power Writer software for the F-Con V Pro has some very unique abilities to simplify setup and tuning. Via the vehicle start up menus, most Japanese Import cars can be easily started by selectring the vehicle's parameters (Make, Model, Engine, etc)
www.hksusa.com

AEM
Universal EMS
Aem has made it possible for virtually any vehicle to run a standalone EMS with the introduction of its Universal Programable Engine Management System. Aem's infinitely adjustable software enables tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately deliver proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for any boost level or operating condition. Aem's Universal EMS utilizes Windows-based software, which makes copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. It includes 10 independent, built-in peak and hold injector driver channels, direct drive ignition and dual wideband UEGO controllers. Aem offers a high-quality, color-coded master wiring harness that is sold separately. Each individual wire function is silk-screened onto the body of the wire, which greatly eases the wiring installation process and virtually eliminates any chance of misidentifying a wire during set-up.
www.aempower.com

GREDDY
e-Manage
Greddy's e-Manage is inexpensive programmable fuel managment sysem that allows you to properly tune your factory fuel system without having to change the entire factory ECU system to an expensive standalone unit. The e-Manage system is a universal piggyback unit which taps into most Japanese factory ECU wiring, by utilizing the existing sensors. Basic functions will allow the user to slightly alter the factory injector duty-cycle (+-20% at 5 preset RPM points) by intercepting and altering airflow or MAP sensor signals. And with optional harnesses, there are options for 16x16 airflow, injector (main & sub), ignition maps, as well as datalogging and scale adjustments.

Also Hondata s300 and Turboxs Subaru Sti ECU

I was really bored at work.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The AEM box is the 1312 btw. Just in case anyone else is feeling brave.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:19 PM
EvoM Guru

i'd feel a little brave if i could score some cash!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Interestingly enough, no one mentions Microtech. Seems to be the EMS of choice in my "circles" ... and to me it has proven itself. And I know of two competent, comparably cheap tuners, that are usually readily available.....
Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well, i'm still having issues with the eM and the ECU learning around the maps. I've triple checked all the connections, and I even spliced the MAS signal wire backwards, just for giggles. No luck there, just a car that died within 30 seconds and had horrible stalling So, I'm convinced it's hooked up right, but the ECU is still resisting. I went and reread a LOT of the old eManage threads and I guess RRM decided against the eM in 03 for unspecified reasons. I think I may know why....
My "trick" was to install an o2 sensor clamp that was wired into the vtec wire for power (GReddy Oxygen sensor adapter) but that didn't work. the idea is that it sends a false signal back to the ECU scrambling the O2 sensor signal, just like it would when it's in open loop. Then the eM is supposed to be able to make its changes.

Does ANYBODY know how the RRM/splitsecond puggyback differs from the eM? The wiring is apparently the same, so there must be something internal that b1tchslaps the ECU into shutting up like a good ho.

I'm open to suggestions, and in the meantime, I can't recommend using the eM. I don't know about the other piggys, though.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

the only way i can see piggies differ is how they condition the signal. i know in eM that there is a drop-down menu of different MAS' to choose from. besides the cut airflow signal, all other taps are just monitors. might be the reason WADAD's safr doesn't work. i know that pjal84 was thinking of getting an safr for his stage 1 cam, but he disappeared a LONG time ago so i dunno if he ever got it to work.

in the case of the split-sec for the g94, there is the vacuum setup of which the unit gets its read of incoming air pressure. the safc/safr/eM use the throttle position as an input to gauge airflow, at least until the eM is upgraded with the pressure sensor. the safc can be modified in the same manor as well, but isn't supported or documented by greddy/trust themselves. i'm not sure if the split-sec unit for the ralliart uses a MAP sensor like the g94's do.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well from what i understand the splitsec hardware also learns the best maps for whatever mods you put in. From what i understand it just figures everything out as it goes. Therefor if you have a unit learning your mods and adjusting accoringly every time you drive the ecu will not be able to keep up. Basicly they will bolth be variable maps.

Thats atleast how i understand the piggyback. Now i havent got to test it out to truely understand at the labs so...
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:38 PM
EvoM Guru

as far as a learning management system, i haven't come across one where you can just input "12.6 AFR" and have it block learn each cell to come up with the best map. at most, they'll have simple fuel trim adjustments with the MAP sensor on the intake manifold and IAT to calibrate for altitude and weather. it'll still rely on the map that's set up for values to start with. if there was such a system, it would probably cost lots and probably wouldn't be in the hands of mere mortals.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
I think that bahamut had one and I believe that Wadad currently has one; perhaps they can attest to its benefits.
Haven't had HKS Super AFR tuned yet but it has the 11rpm points for tuning the A/F mixture and can adjust between +-50% I think the AFC's only do 20%

I actually had to remove it for now. Once I get the time I will get it professionally done.

WADAD
Old Jul 1, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rhyzin
. might be the reason WADAD's safr doesn't work.
Not sure whether it works or not. WHen I had it hooked up I had a few number's already present at the rpm points. When driving through those points the % would change and you could see it displayed on the AFR. E.G.

RPM--------------%
850-------------0
1500-----------0
2750-----------0
3000-----------0
3750-----------0
4000-----------0
4500----------(-1)
5000----------(-3)
5500----------(-6)
6000----------(-8)

Without the car being dyno tuned I don't think we can make a positive conclusion on the AFR yet.

WADAD
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

hey, just updating this i guess.

it looks like the new emanage ULTIMATE has been released.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

its 550 shipped, and it looks like it comes with everything needed, and it definatly has the most features
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

The new Greddy Em Ultimate edition has a new feature where you input target AFR and EM is trying to keep it. Self learning!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, that's basically what your ECU does in closed loop operation anyway. I'm curious why the E-manage would try to take over that function when it's something that the ECU is already capable of on its own. In theory all the E-manage should need to do is intercept the O2 sensor(s) signal(s) and tell the ECU that the reading is off by the difference between stoich and actual AFR. I dunno if I worded that correctly as I'm a wee bit out of it, but I think the principle's pretty clear.

Quick Reply: Different management units / different use and benefits