Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

ECU Chip actually works??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
why does it look like a usb hub? isn't that kinda........ya know..........weird?
thats what i said... thats somethin i used to use to either run my printer or scanner, i swear it looks EXACTLY the same, if i had it i'd take a pic of it
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:56 AM

the modem (lmao) is just making your car dump more fuel. i think it's a bad idea
Old Sep 5, 2005, 03:45 PM

here is a link to the chip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...97813328QQrdZ1
Old Sep 5, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

if he was measuring at the same rpm, then somthing is goofy, but if it was at redline/fuel cut, then it might have raised rev limiter. however, i dont trust ANYTHING that is $50 and plays with my electronics
Old Sep 5, 2005, 07:42 PM

Well, I'm not sure about how you're measuring your gains, like they said a dyno is the best way, but since you hook it up to the MAS and it isn't brand specific, there are only two things it can be doing. The first is changing the intake air temperature (IAT) signal to a lower temperature, which cause the ECU to dump in more fuel and possibly adjust timing. The other is it could be messing with the barometric pressure signal, which would cause the ECU to mess with timing. In either case, since it is not tuned specifically to the car any gains are an amazing coincidence. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, if it alters your MAF reading, then leaning it out would result in a lower MAF reading.. Leaning it out would result in slightly more power (whether its dangerous or not is really the issue) but I know that leaning the MAF curve will result in raising your RPM slightly (since the Mitsubishi ECU's limit things using fuel cut through the MAF reading)
Old Sep 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with Jack on this one. Sounds like its simply modifying the MAF signal to create leaner conditions.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

but raising the the revs should only happen at idle... there is no way he can be running different speeds at the same rpms... that is totally dependent on the tranny... no matter how much power is put out from a stock lancer to a stage 2 boosted lancer... the rpm to mph will be =
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:25 AM

I don't thinkanyone's arguing that his measure of gains is messed up. At this point we are discussing what his magic eBay box is doing. Unless it was designed specifically for mitsu it doesn't chnge the airflow signal. This is because we use completely different MAF sensors from what anyone else has. That means the only thing it can do is modify the iat or maybe the barometric pressure. Whether it leans or richens depends on what the guy who made it designed it to do.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03RallyLancer
but raising the the revs should only happen at idle... there is no way he can be running different speeds at the same rpms... that is totally dependent on the tranny... no matter how much power is put out from a stock lancer to a stage 2 boosted lancer... the rpm to mph will be =
Well, look at it this way, the car has a ECU imposed RPM limit, then you hit the limiter (which is usually some sort of fuel cut) If you cut the MAF signal by 10%, the RPM limit may go up 10% (if the ecu handles it that way) which can explain the slightly higher speeds in each gear...

His measuring isn't very useful, but it does indicate that it probably altered the signals to the MAF for that reason... which means the car is running quite a bit leaner than stock. On an Normally aspirated car, It shouldn't be too much of a concern, but I'd seriously recommend removing that thing, it just looks like a very simple switch box that was gutted..

But if it altered the MAF signal significantly, it can explain the high idle, depending on which sensors that were tapped into.. but if you have the signal at idle 20hz instead of 30hz, the ECU may attempt to raise idle to hit that value (plus alter the fuel trims)

I have to be honest about this, this thing scares me, it looks like something someone made in their garage out of spare parts and I would have you strongly caution your friend and encourage him to take it out before he does damage.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

But the fact that he measured the same RPM at different speeds, indicates to me that this thing may be altering the VSS (Speed sensor signal) or other signal and "Tricking" you.. if thats the case its a complete scam and it does nothing but trick you..
Old Sep 6, 2005, 06:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A dyno run before and after would have been nice to seen. It would have made this a little more believable.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 07:38 AM

wow ur car can hook up to the internet now.i wanna download a turbo to my lancer.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 07:58 AM

After all that being said, is there any performance chips out there that will work and not damage the car?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Personally, I think if you want gains after any mods are installed(which will be minimal unless you go turbo) just get a tune, don't even bother with the promises of large hp and torque gains from those things. The way a motor works it's just not physically possible to see those kind of gains with just a chip. I don't do tuning but a few people I know said it's like a science, pretty much like a form of art almost.

Quick Reply: ECU Chip actually works??