Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RPM hang, DUE TO unlevel MAS??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM hang, DUE TO unlevel MAS??

well Slovak was at the dealer today and the mastertech there told him the MAS needed to be as level as possible. He said that the reason for the rpm hang could be b/c of running too rich. and since the mas is sitting at a 45 degree angle that could cause the problem... Any tuners or anyone infact know what could cause this?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

The real question actually is how level should the mas be? I mean if it is like at a 45 angle will it hurt things like gas mileage, etc? Or is it supposed to be as close to level as possible?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

is it even 90 degrees stock?

EDIT: nevermind it is

Last edited by camaro379ss; Sep 20, 2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

wouldn't it be sitting at 0 degrees if it's level? maybe i'm being nitpicky here...

i wouldn't think the positioning would matter...since it's a pretty closed environment you're working with once the air is inside the filter. in THEORY....if positioning was really that much of a problem one would hope there was a sensor to tell if it was too far off kilter and throw a code.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

No, but closer to level than at a 45
Old Sep 20, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think it makes a difference. I have had my MAS upside down, and at almost every imaginable angle when I had from my CAI to turbo. Just the non-knowledgeable techs pulling something out of their butts to throw at people who they think dont know any better.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'll second that...my sensor has been in almost every position i can think of and not once have i ran into a problem with it. i haven't even heard of such a thing causing a problem.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

same here
Old Sep 20, 2005, 06:33 PM

Air can flow in any direction, so it doesn't matter. It might matter if it were a louver style maf, but nobody has used those for years. On ours it doesn't matter at all. Just the tech trying to BS you because he has no idea.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
...my sensor has been in almost every position i can think of and not once have i ran into a problem with it.
you dirty dirty person. it's not supposed to be used for THAT!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by datdjrobp
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose721
...my sensor has been in almost every position i can think of and not once have i ran into a problem with it.

you dirty dirty person. it's not supposed to be used for THAT!
damnit you found me out!!!

hahahaha you are sick
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

maybe it has something to do with the recall, mine was at a 45 degree angle and i went out and adjusted it to make it level, and the rpm hang was gone. i'm not saying that this was the exact problem cause maybe the same time i adjusted it something with the car maight have just "fallen back into place" so to speak.

I dunno
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by camaro379ss
maybe it has something to do with the recall
today i went in for my recall appointment and they f***ed my car up!!! the RPMS HANG LIKE CRAZY!!! even with the lightened flywheel...the idle went from 600 rpm to 1100 rpm at idle even after the motor is warmed up...i'm starting to get the impression that the RPM hang has to do with the software they are reflashing us with.

btw...i called the supervisor at mitsu and told him what was going on and he tryied to say it was my fault the car was messed up due to the AF Guage... i told him off and said the car was fine till they touched it.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

That totally sux. Mitsu service is fudged up. But I don't understand what is the big deal with the recall??? Just buy an aftermarket exhaust manifold and you will be fine.
Or get some people that had the recall done and start calling the corporate. Tell them to replace the ECU with the original software and replace the faulty exhaust manifold with a tubular exhaust manifold, 4-1 design, and no cats. And in the time they will be doing all of that let them give you EVO IX
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

even after the recall, everyone is still having problems with the rpm hang. and after almost a week of having mine recalled, i notice that when i floor it (I have an auto), it doesnt drop down into the lowest gear it can, it drops maybe one gear (when it used to drop as low as possible). but I cant really tell if i'm getting the rpm hang still, it too subtle for me to tell

Quick Reply: RPM hang, DUE TO unlevel MAS??