Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM header question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM header question

Just finished installing my Header, and damn that sure was a pain in the *** to complete. Version 2 RRM header on a OZ 02.

question,

1. Is it normal for the car to vibrate so intense when in "D".
( i have 2.25 cat back w/ greddy Ver2 exhaust)

2. Once I turned on the car, smoke started coming from the Actual header... Could this be an exhaust leak? Or is it just the ceramic paint burning from the intense heat? smells like it...

let me know...

( sorry for not searchin')
Old Jul 1, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

The smoke is nothing. It'll stop after a few days. If you have aftermarket motor mounts then maybe that is causing the vibrations. If you don't then I have no clue.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

I never experienced any increase in vibrations... +1 ^ could be cuz your mounts...Enjoy your header tho!
Old Jul 2, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I am enjoying...

Okay since the smoke situation is nothing then i won't worry.

as for the vibration, My dad says it could be my downpipe or the cat vibrating against the chasis of the car. Since when we put a lancer in Drive the whole engine and transmission shift forward, it seems to cause a push on the piping going down and make the flex pipe bend. This is just a theory and i probably won't get a chance to examine til later in the week

and input guys, it'l be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

ive never heard of anyone getting a vibration from their header... the dp is mounted to the chassis and the only thing that should move is the flex section and you shouldnt feel that at all
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03RallyLancer
ive never heard of anyone getting a vibration from their header... the dp is mounted to the chassis and the only thing that should move is the flex section and you shouldnt feel that at all

same here.. it should just be plug n play.. as for smoke... new gaskets along with this install would have been a great idea
Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Your exhaust shouldn't cause any more vibrations because the stock hangers are flexible to allow movement of the exhaust. Absorbs almost all of the vibrations...

Exhaust tone causes certain parts of the car to resonate. At certain RPMs some vibrations are apparent so try drive it to get the rpm over what it idles at and see if the vibrations go away.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

The vibrations do go away when the rpms get higher and the car is in motion. But as soon as i get into a stand still, like at a light or something, the vibrations start again. It's right underneath me and I can feel it at my feet when they're not on the pedal.

And I'm only getting this when I put the car in 'D"rive...

I'll just probably take the car to a muffler shop this weekend if i don't do it myself.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

oo i'm going to get new headers soon i have a quick ? so i don't make a new post

1. when you order the new headers do they come with the gasket you need or does the stock one work?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TougeOZ_04
oo i'm going to get new headers soon i have a quick ? so i don't make a new post

1. when you order the new headers do they come with the gasket you need or does the stock one work?
Buy the gaskets from the mitsu dealer.. trust me its worth it. If you re-use the old one, you'll most likely get an exhaust leak. In a real "work environment" like at a power plant (where i work), we NEVER re-use gaskets. Every job requires new gaskets, etc.. It is good practice to do it the right way so you don't have leaks right away, or in the future.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

i planed on getting new gaskets, i was just wondering if the stock ones would work or buy aftermarket gaskets?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Stock ones would work fine. I kept the same gaskets that were on the car and the header brought an extra gasket to it as well. It was used and after running it a few days there's not more smoke coming from the header. No leaks whatsoever.

I'm just still getting that damn vibration...