Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Do these boots look bad enough to cause a misfire? *no 56k*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these boots look bad enough to cause a misfire? *no 56k*

Alright I checked the vacuum hoses-no cracks and all the seals are good. I replaced the sparkplugs, airfilter isn't too dirty, went through 5 tanks of 91 oct. (isn't bad gas), and used injector cleaner. Still getting misfires when I'm at open throttle, it sputters (bogs/misfires then goes normal then bogs/misfires off and on) throughout the powerband (if you can say we have one of those on our cars ). This is what the sparkplug boots look like. I don't know what arcing looks like so.... comments from someone who does?
Attached Thumbnails Do these boots look bad enough to cause a misfire? *no 56k*-boot1.jpg   Do these boots look bad enough to cause a misfire? *no 56k*-boot2.jpg   Do these boots look bad enough to cause a misfire? *no 56k*-boot3.jpg  
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I think the plugs are more likely to show signs of a misfire. Pull them and see what they look like compared to each other I guess. Those boots look like mine so...?

I saw an old T/A Firebird once with arcing wires, dude started the car turned off the lights in the garage and you could see the arcs jumping between the wires and around the cap. So I guess you could observe it in the dark too.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Not too long ago it was doing this same thing and I changed the plugs and it stopped. Now, about two months later, it starts happening again. I change the plugs again last week and it doesn't stop at all.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

I think your boots are causing the misfire. They look burnt and if I were you I would change them asap. It doesn't matter how many times you will change your plugs, if your boots/wires are shot you will still be misfiring.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah man, that second pic looks pretty bad. My boots stay pretty much black, if anything it just gets a little tinge of red at the bottom due to heat, but thats it. It shouldnt be yellow and burnt like that
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I'm going to say is NGK part number ME-96. $22 for nice new plug wires.

http://ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=me-96
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Boots, $15/each.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get to a Mitsu dealership and place an order for two boots and two packs w/boots. I don't want to have to deal with that BS about ripping them off the coilpack then using epoxy to get them back on
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might be your spark plugs! I had the same problem running Bosch plugs. Stick with NGK.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

that is wierd, i don't think the boots would cause that, you need to try switching plugs, but if your convinced its the boots, i have like new boots for 10 bucks a piece. let me know.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
Yeah, I'm gonna have to get to a Mitsu dealership and place an order for two boots and two packs w/boots. I don't want to have to deal with that BS about ripping them off the coilpack then using epoxy to get them back on
You don't have to rip the boots of the coil packs. They just slip out easily and you can attach the new boot the same way. No expoxy needed.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregivq
You don't have to rip the boots of the coil packs. They just slip out easily and you can attach the new boot the same way. No expoxy needed.
I was kinda wondering if I missed something when he said that...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
that is wierd, i don't think the boots would cause that, you need to try switching plugs, but if your convinced its the boots, i have like new boots for 10 bucks a piece. let me know.
I shouldn't have been so impatient, I just went to the Mitsu dealership that day and got all new coilpacks and boots- $300. It worked though, car runs great now, guess that's all I really care about. The comment about attaching the boot back to the coilpack came from the stickied thread about misfires- there is a comment in there about having to reattach the boot to the coilpack with some sort of epoxy...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so the problem was the coilpacks?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo666
so the problem was the coilpacks?
It could have been the pack, the wire, or the boot on any of the cylinders. I was too impatient to replace one then test it ect.