Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Header and such

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header and such

I have been looking around at a header and found an OBX header on ebay forabout $240 shipped. Is it a good deal, are OBX headers worth it, do they do that much more over stock? Can I add just that header and pipe on with the stock exhaust but then change the exhaust later? Any other bits of info I need? Also if a turbo is in the future will getting a header now cause problems for that install later on or will it have no effect? Just all the info I would possibly want and more!

Last edited by lancerjunky; Aug 14, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:31 PM
Account Disabled

I have an OBX 4-2-1 headers and their downpipe, and it was worth it. It help get rid of the first cat and it help me rev faster once I got past 3500rpms. Can't say there was much increase in the low revs. .

Of couse you can change out the exhaust out later, but I would suggest getting a real good CAI or SRI.

Many here have been saying that RPW's headers of 4-1 is much better than the 4-2-1 headers. check it out:
http://www.accoladesportparts.com/pr...rch=fromSearch
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for adding a turbo - the OBX will not work with a turbo kit like RRM. You'd probably go with something like the new turbo manifold RRM came up with.

Personally, I'll say this - if you're genuinely going turbo, don't buy the exhaust. Save the money for the turbo kit and then get an exhaust that will fit with the kit later (getting the turbo first will be WAY more fun).
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:50 PM

Would the OBX header work with any worth-while turbo kit?

Also I am not talking getting an exhaust now, just a header. Like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-R...spagenameZWDVW
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerjunky
Would the OBX header work with any worth-while turbo kit?

Also I am not talking getting an exhaust now, just a header. Like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-R...spagenameZWDVW
NO, period. header is not even suppsed to be used the old rrm kit is hashed with an up and downpipe which use the stock exhuast manifold.

and anyways if ur going turb just buy a 2.25 or 2.5 catback and save mney for a turbo.

SEARCH and ye shall find.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:21 PM

Okay, so say a header is put off until later, what would be the best performance gain for the money? Spending a couple hundred only?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

light weight wheels....
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Best bet is something like the lightened crank pulley (100$), intake (50-200$), and suspension bits.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:01 PM

i am planning on getting the package of 4 strut bars from PDXralliart on this site. I already have a CAI, so what does a crank pulley do for me?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

buy fuel managmnet. best bang for the buck\\\pig safc emanage etc
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Now you get the problem with an Internet forum - no one cars what your priorities are, they just throw out the parts they like. When you say "best performance gain", what do you mean? Power, handling, etc.

The PDX bars are a great purchase. The pulley will let your car rev faster (and smoother, since it's less rotating mass).

Beyond that, I'm not going to throw anything out because I don't know your goals.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:36 AM

Where is a good place to get that kind of stuff? I have to get going to work and don't have time to search right now.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Now you get the problem with an Internet forum - no one cars what your priorities are, they just throw out the parts they like. When you say "best performance gain", what do you mean? Power, handling, etc.

The PDX bars are a great purchase. The pulley will let your car rev faster (and smoother, since it's less rotating mass).

Beyond that, I'm not going to throw anything out because I don't know your goals.
There ya go, simply put and you hit the nail on the head.

My goals are to make this lancer a one of a kind lancer with some power to keep up with the big dogs (Evo's STis) I want to do a turbo, but don't see it being done for at least a year. I pretty much want to do everything to my car, but slowly and as I get the money, rims, no larger than 17 inch and they will be powdercoated black, NO clear tail lights, and nothing that resembles being a ricer. That is pretty much it. Right now I am just going for a slight power gain if possible.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Don't look for a slight power gain. Use the money for the big picture. If you waste $100 on a pulley, that's another $100 you have to save for the turbo kit. That's the main thing you have to think about. Why shave off 0.1 seconds from your 1/4 mile when you can save up for the kit that'll shave 3 seconds? Keep thinking about the big picture. Ignore the trees and look at the forest. Etc.

If you don't want to be a ricer, skip the 17s. JK. But I still vote that 16s will work a lot better, depending on what you use your car for.

As for what you said, just start saving. RRM Stage 2 is the only option for the power you want. And then you need to look into clutch, motor mounts, LSD and good tires to hold the power (most people forget that traction helps ).
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I'm amused