Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

100mph is it a computer thing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEANIE
about a month ago and i changed my spark plugs about a year ago.. so they should be good...
If you are holding your speed at 100mph with any regularity your plugs are having the crap burned out of them- I would change them.
One of the things you have to remember is that different mods will give you different results-- something that increases acceleration may possibly decrease top speed. One of the positive sides of our stock exhaust system (smaller diameter and double muffler) is that the extra pressure in the line creates more torque!
My theory is that by opening up your exhaust line you gained HP and lost torque so your top speed has been decreased because your car isn't pushing hard enough now to overcome the drag.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:23 PM

nicely put OFFENDER that makes seens because i did change me exhuast to a more flowing one the magne flow exhaust system. i did know anything about the exhaust pressure creating torque. but i don't want to go back to stock i love my exhaust. anything to get around this problem. the stage 2 turbo well fix this problem but i'm not getting that till next year, but tell then what can i do to fix the problem...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've done 112 on the highway totally flat surface and that was bone stock. Now I bought rrm pulley, magnaflow catback, rrm test pipe and I havent been going over 100 considering I've gotten 3 tickets already in 2 months...I'm slowing down until I get a radar detector -.-
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

How long have you been at fort hood (if you work there...maybe military)? and what color lancer is it? I might have seen you driving around. If you are in the military, just go for the turbo now. It'll fix that problem quickfast lol.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Torque should have no effect on top speed, look at hondas, they have no torque and they can get to pretty high speeds easily.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Iono, back when I was much younger and much stupider I took my car well above 100mph with a 2.5" cat-back and CAI. Well over 100.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:28 PM

I recently pulled 120 out of mine and i got magna flow cat back, cai, rrm pulley and piggyback v.2 on. I have not problem with reaching that speed. Just lost some low end power with the exhaust on.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:02 AM

maybe some lancers vary or something or some ecu are different you know what i mean thats why some top out at different speeds.cause you know how everybody says reset your ecu so it can relearn maybe thats why. that or my ecu is just lazy.drucea yeah i am in the military my car is red and turbo must be later got to iraq next month so when i get back hooking my car up...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:04 AM

Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
Iono, back when I was much younger and much stupider I took my car well above 100mph with a 2.5" cat-back and CAI. Well over 100.
back when your car was running?

how about an update?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

nice pic....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

In the spirit of this thread... I have a radar detector for sale lol.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

what's the point, if you can't go over 100mph, you ain't speeding...

lmao...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, i havent seen you but would like to have. Nice looking car. Yeah after iraq you'll be able to really get something out of the lancer. too bad its an auto but itll be different. good luck with it
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Torque should have no effect on top speed, look at hondas, they have no torque and they can get to pretty high speeds easily.
This is a pretty open ended statement... what honda? Where? What mods? I don't have a problem if someone disagrees with me but only if they are going to propose alternate solutions or theorize another reason why this is happening.
I'm sticking by what I said- there has been a loss in torque (and possibly an increase in drag from the body kit) and that is lowering the overall top speed. Yes, top speed is determined by HP, but overcoming rolling resistance and drag is done with torque. This is why a cars acceleration matches its torque curve (horsepower determines how fast you travel along that curve).

Quick Reply: 100mph is it a computer thing