Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

mas airflow sensor(or somethin like that)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mas airflow sensor(or somethin like that)

was wonering on a cold air intake if u moved the mas down by were the cold air intake filter was would it effect it at all? like if the sensor read the air and all that other stuff from the colder area
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think this came up in a thread not too long ago. From what I remember moving the MAS down caused problems with readings, but I may just be talking out of my ***.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

yes. i've found it a bit more difficult to tune with the MAS at the end of the piping than with it in the middle of the piping. this is with a hacked MAS though.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

so is it a bad thing to move itany gains or no?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RPW claims that it's perfectly fine to do. Your mileage may vary on that...

There should be no gains. You can possibly create a problem, but you probably won't gain anything at all.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you think about how it works you will see why moving it farther away will mess it up.

The MAS reads the amount of air at whatever point its placed in the intake. Mitsu created all the base fuel maps off the mas being placed where it is stock. Now you move it farther away and you have created a "delay" between what is happening with the air where the mas is reading it and what is going into the throttle body. The ECU expects it to be closer because it knows no better.

Say you jammed the pedal down to the floor with the MAS as far away as you can get it. The MAS gets a huge airflow reading because its out farther but the volume of air in the pipe up by the throttle body is not the same but the computer already adjusted for the huge air volume read by the MAS and dumps a bunch of gas.

Lots of gas, little air and the car will be boggy and unresponsive at best under extreme conditions like flooring it.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

here's my take:

let's say you have one particular cold air intake in which you could change where the MAS is located: in the middle, or at the end. since the system doesn't change, you should be able to place the MAS at any place in the CAI and it should read the same. what does change is the volume between the MAS and the cylinder head valves. when this isn't adjusted for, AFR gets leaner the further the MAS gets from the stock location.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rhyzin
here's my take:

let's say you have one particular cold air intake in which you could change where the MAS is located: in the middle, or at the end. since the system doesn't change, you should be able to place the MAS at any place in the CAI and it should read the same. what does change is the volume between the MAS and the cylinder head valves. when this isn't adjusted for, AFR gets leaner the further the MAS gets from the stock location.
I don't know about leaner across the board, the computer won't be as reactive. I talked about gassing it and the computer dumping gas for the signal but the air not being there yet, the same would be true if you let off the gas some, the computer stops dumping gas but the volume of air hitting the throttle body is still high causing a lean condition.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking of MAF...what is that new 3.0 Bar MAP on A2's site all about?

Is that for a turbo application or something?

http://*********.vstore.ca/product_i...bar-map-sensor
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sadude
Speaking of MAF...what is that new 3.0 Bar MAP on A2's site all about?

Is that for a turbo application or something?

http://*********.vstore.ca/product_i...bar-map-sensor
Yeah.

MAP - manifold absolute pressure. Instead of the weak and crappy MAF setup, it's just a sensor in the IM that measure the air pressure and relays it to the ECU.

3.0 BAR - that's something like 44 PSI, last I checked (1 BAR = 14.7 PSI). Good for running boost. They are popular with Subarus that run MAP stock because the stock sensor can't read anything above atmospheric pressure (1 BAR, if ya didn't know). So using this sensor will make the car much easier to tune with BOOST.

School is out for recess now.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm thats pretty cool. i may have to grab one of those when i go turbo.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^^That sensor really won't be necessary for turbo'd Lancers (unless you're pushing 9-10 psi or greater).
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i want to try and get around 10psi. im hopefully gonna save up a few grand, get pistons and rods and get the A2 turbo and twin tb. Thats my rough plan right now.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by airlinevomitbag
If you think about how it works you will see why moving it farther away will mess it up.

The MAS reads the amount of air at whatever point its placed in the intake. Mitsu created all the base fuel maps off the mas being placed where it is stock. Now you move it farther away and you have created a "delay" between what is happening with the air where the mas is reading it and what is going into the throttle body. The ECU expects it to be closer because it knows no better.

Say you jammed the pedal down to the floor with the MAS as far away as you can get it. The MAS gets a huge airflow reading because its out farther but the volume of air in the pipe up by the throttle body is not the same but the computer already adjusted for the huge air volume read by the MAS and dumps a bunch of gas.

Lots of gas, little air and the car will be boggy and unresponsive at best under extreme conditions like flooring it.

He's right. Mitsu has programmed the ecu to a certain place and count the amount of airflow. If there's a delay or too much to count as expected, the ecu goes crazy, ie erratic idle before stalling. It's the same as removing the honeycomb on the MAF.

You can only change placement on MAP system to a certain extent. I have seen it on a toyo minitruck (early 90's).
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the breakdown...but where would one install a MAP sensor...does our intake manifold have like a port for something like that or would you have to do a custom install?

Also I guess you would have to re-wire your MAF plug to plug in to the MAP instead?

Quick Reply: mas airflow sensor(or somethin like that)