Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Funny sound coming from intake. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you've all concluded that its a normal sound, but the description went from a rubbing sound to a whooshing sound. Whooshing is normal, rubbing can probably be fixed. How is the RRM SRI held in place? I know when I switch my K&N tube to the stock tube, I let the intake hang for a while and whenever I shut the car off or floored it, i heard what could be called a rubbing noise, but it was the filter vibrating against the car where the filter was sitting against (where the stock box was bolted to). SO it might be vibrating against something, check for that.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yea not worry mine does the same thing.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zip ties!
my intake is just a filter on the stock tube. i used 2 zip ties.
one attaches is where the fuse box is bolted in, and the other wraps around right below the brake fluid.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Waste of time and money. You should of just kept the ram-air intake with a drop-in filter.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor

not really. sri is a noticable improvement. esspecially for only $60
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drucea
I know you've all concluded that its a normal sound, but the description went from a rubbing sound to a whooshing sound. Whooshing is normal, rubbing can probably be fixed. How is the RRM SRI held in place? I know when I switch my K&N tube to the stock tube, I let the intake hang for a while and whenever I shut the car off or floored it, i heard what could be called a rubbing noise, but it was the filter vibrating against the car where the filter was sitting against (where the stock box was bolted to). SO it might be vibrating against something, check for that.

The rrm sri is bolted by a slender piece of metal from one screw in the maf adaptor to a bolt in the side of the engine bay. When I first installed the thing it rattled a ton, but then i put a rubber washer type thing in between the bolt and the metal connector at the MAF and problem solved (you can tell my mechanical word usage is pretty terrible).

That is probably the rattling noise. Oh and make sure the the heatshield is firm (I zip tied it at the top part of it).

Wow drucea moderator now?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by The Senator
Waste of time and money. You should of just kept the ram-air intake with a drop-in filter.
with an evo sure thats fine to a certain hp but with our cars you need every bit you can get!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

mabey ill try some rubber washers on the bracket. but I do think it is something inside the intake... and my noise isnt just a whooshing sound of air moving. Its a slipping/rubbing sound mixed with a whoosh. very loud.

If that makes sense.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yep I'm a mod now. I got my intake held up by a coat hanger shaped into a Y. the made two loops in the wire to bolt it to where the stock box was. No rattling now.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have the RRM one which has a bracket. my issue deffinitely is not the filter or tube hitting anything.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure then. Mine is quite loud in that people will ask me why it makes that noise when I turn it off. It sounds like a grinding, but i'm sure it is ok considering i've had the noise for a year and no problems. having the intake there definitely opens up that noise of the motor more. maybe it is just the engine slowing down

did this just start happening? or has this been going on since day 1 after install?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

I think it started after my NSC damper install. Thats why originally I thought it was a pulley that got twisted or something and a blt was slipping.