Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

To DIY or Not to DIY (Timing Belt)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To DIY or Not to DIY (Timing Belt)

I have a few questions and didnt want to hijack anyone's thread....

The wife has a 2003 Lancer OZ rally which is at 72K and we are wanting to change the timing belt.

I have done some reading and it seems that some people claim it is best to change the TB Tensioner as well as the water pump at the same time. I have also found info about people using the same tensioner, but only pressing in new bearings.

When looking at belts/belt kits (i.e. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...em230116047396) I see there are two belts.
Is one belt for the Water pump?

Also, will this timing belt kit above work on the Lancer OZ Rally 2003?

I'm not that much of a mechanic, but when I owned a Toyota Supra Turbo, I relized it was much cheaper for me to learn to work on it myself (not to mention the 7M-GTE totally baffled most mechanics in my area). So, I have most of the metric tools and accessories required for a complete engine overhaul. I was capable of pulling the head, having it milled, and replacing on my supra, so I may be able to pull off this timing belt change. However, here is what I am thinking.

I would like to find the parts necessary to do a timing belt change myself and have all the parts ready like the belt, tensioners and water pump. This way, if I decide to let an auto shop do it, then at least I know I will be getting the best deals on parts. Here's why:

The wife took her lancer in for a recall today. She got the ECU flashed, a motor controller or something replaced, and a new Catalytic Converter. (All for free BTW) They told her the CEL was on because she needed a new pre-cat O2 sensor, and that they would replace it for $325... Well, I called BS on that and told her to tell them no thanks (I'm lucky she called to ask me). So, I went to automedicsupply and ordered the O2 Sensor for $77 incl. shipping and I suspect it will take less than two hours to change. IMO, the dealer is really trying to rip me off here.

She also inquired about the timing belt change, and they quoted her $600 and some change... That really does sound like a lot of money for a task that doesn't involve any troubleshooting.

So, to my questions. Is it frowned upon to buy your own parts then take them to an auto shop to have put on? Can you save money this way?
What kind of difference in prices can I expect between a Dealership changing my timing belt and an independant shop changing it?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

DIY. It's not that hard and can be done in a day. As long as u have all the tools I'd do it yourself it's really not all that difficult, just a little tight on space. A dealership will rape you and an independent shop should run about 300 bucks.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, do it yourself! You should have all the tools you'll need. I'd recommend shopping with Mr-Auto-Parts.com... I've ordered, and had a couple others order from there. Great company! The total for all three belts (Bando brand) and a NPW water pump is $103. Alot cheaper than the stealership huh?

Search for additional info on past members belts changes as such.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks guys... That sounds great...
I called Toyex Bimmer and they gave me a quick over the phone quote for 235 without any details.

I will see if I can round the parts up from mr-auto-parts and get them on order.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I priced the Mr-Auto-Parts.com site vs AdvancedAutoParts/AutoZone/etc etc and it's still cheaper. $103 sounds like the order I'm going to do very soon as well. One thing I did see though, is that AdvancedAutoParts had the KYB replacement struts cheaper. I'm in need of some badly!

You won't go wrong with that site... I'm a happy customer, thus the reason I keep using them!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I had a local shop do spark plugs, water pump, timing belt, alternator belt, coolant flush, parts, and labor all for $400... Can't beat that!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:28 AM

The shops here in central Ark quoted me about $500 for changing the belt and water pump. The dealership quoted me $800. Can you believe that crap? I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself so I paid a guy I work with $250 to "help" me change it (I handed him the tools). He builds dirt track race cars in his free time so I figured him would be able to do it. Other than my imagination, I've had no problems.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:26 AM

Small town... I feel where you're coming from... The first time I was able to even witness a timing belt change was when I was in college. I lived in the crappiest one bedroom apt in town. My DD was 1991 geo storm.
I knew the maintenance guy that worked for the apt complex and he drove a car with the same engine. He casually mentioned that if I hadn't changed the timing belt yet, then I surely needed to and that he would help me if I bought the parts to do it with.
I was totally perplexed because he changed it in the parking lot, with a shop light on the end of an extension cord using only a handful of tools. All he had me do was hold the light and at one point rock the car back and forth. Took him all in all about an hour and he charged me $40. When I asked him why he would do such a grueling task for so cheap, he simply replied he "was out of smoke".. lol...

That was then.... And since then I have done my share of auto maintenance work... At first I started to enjoy it, but the older I got, the less I liked it. I think it's because I quit smoking cigarettes..... If you're working on a car, you gotta smoke a cigarette...

Now, for the first time in my life, I can afford to have someone else work on my car, but there is still that thrifty college kid inside that keeps saying I can do it and spend the money elsewhere... At this point, it's all a matter of what my free time is worth to me.

I think we all get to a point in life where we start to put a value on the time we are not working, being family guy, or helping someone in need. I would much rather spend my saturday hanging out with the wife and kid... However, I'm sure by lunch time on a saturday I would be out in the garage anyway..
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:41 PM

Damn... You got me pegged. I don't have a lot of free time either because of family and work but most of the time I would just wait until I did have some time. I had already wasted two whole days of my life trying to do the timing belt. Some money came my way so I thought "Screw it. I'll have someone else do it for me." I've got 90k on the odo. and had just recieved a pretty, new RRM pulley so I really just wanted the whole thing done so I could go play.
Old May 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

just bought all my belts and water pump from mr-auto-parts oh and some new wires too cost me 140!!!! that freakin awesome can't wait to get the stuff
Old May 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

^Another happy customer! They really need to sponsor this site! Bet you received the order the next biz day?!?
Old May 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

got all my stuff today it was like christmas here. got all my belts including timing, ngk wires, timing belt tensioner, water pump, and my rrm crank pully oh yea baby tomorrow will be fun
Old May 4, 2007, 08:15 PM

It would be realy helpful if someone would do a write up with pics while they go through the process of replacing the timing belt/water pump.
Old May 4, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

^Are you dropping him a hint? LOL
Old May 5, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fragg|n
I have a few questions and didnt want to hijack anyone's thread....

The wife has a 2003 Lancer OZ rally which is at 72K and we are wanting to change the timing belt.

I have done some reading and it seems that some people claim it is best to change the TB Tensioner as well as the water pump at the same time. I have also found info about people using the same tensioner, but only pressing in new bearings.

When looking at belts/belt kits (i.e. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...em230116047396) I see there are two belts.
Is one belt for the Water pump?

Also, will this timing belt kit above work on the Lancer OZ Rally 2003?

I'm not that much of a mechanic, but when I owned a Toyota Supra Turbo, I relized it was much cheaper for me to learn to work on it myself (not to mention the 7M-GTE totally baffled most mechanics in my area). So, I have most of the metric tools and accessories required for a complete engine overhaul. I was capable of pulling the head, having it milled, and replacing on my supra, so I may be able to pull off this timing belt change. However, here is what I am thinking.

I would like to find the parts necessary to do a timing belt change myself and have all the parts ready like the belt, tensioners and water pump. This way, if I decide to let an auto shop do it, then at least I know I will be getting the best deals on parts. Here's why:

The wife took her lancer in for a recall today. She got the ECU flashed, a motor controller or something replaced, and a new Catalytic Converter. (All for free BTW) They told her the CEL was on because she needed a new pre-cat O2 sensor, and that they would replace it for $325... Well, I called BS on that and told her to tell them no thanks (I'm lucky she called to ask me). So, I went to automedicsupply and ordered the O2 Sensor for $77 incl. shipping and I suspect it will take less than two hours to change. IMO, the dealer is really trying to rip me off here.

She also inquired about the timing belt change, and they quoted her $600 and some change... That really does sound like a lot of money for a task that doesn't involve any troubleshooting.

So, to my questions. Is it frowned upon to buy your own parts then take them to an auto shop to have put on? Can you save money this way?
What kind of difference in prices can I expect between a Dealership changing my timing belt and an independant shop changing it?

I asked this last month before I had to get mine done, "Stealership" said for the Tranny flush, timing belt, and drive belts (I pretty much did everything else myself for my 60K service and was at 66K) I was looking at over $800! I took it to A place we have here in Jacksonville and the replaced my timing belt, told me and replaced my water pump, and made sure that my drive belts were alright and charged my $540!

Last edited by BensLancer; May 5, 2007 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: To DIY or Not to DIY (Timing Belt)