Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Interesting info regarding cat removal / test pipe install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Interesting info regarding cat removal / test pipe install

I went to a local muffler shop who installed my magnaflow and asked about a test pipe (RRM). What it would do sound wise, power wise, smog wise etc. He told me that it is no longer a state offense anymore to remove it. It is now considered a federal offense. If you get caught, you get your car impounded regardless, and probably some huge fee. Can anyone confirm or clear up this law?
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Unsure but do some more research. If that was true how did my buddy go down to a local muffler shop and have his removed?
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Federal offense for them to install it on your car. It is all fun and games. It is illegal to run around with a dime bag of weed in the car too. I dare them to catch me with either.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Because they don't care. Yes it does get your car impounded immediately if it is found out. So what I would recommend is doing swaps at a Drag strip using it only temporarily like Road Race suggests on their site.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

I guess if it's slammed to the ground they won't know, the officials can't see it. I have a friend with a straight pipe and he just gets tickets for modified exhaust, no impound or anything.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:37 AM
D$

Don't touch that cat . . .

It is a federal offense to tamper in any way with any emissions related equipment on a street driven car unless it is damaged . It would be hard to find unless you fail a smog check or something though
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

I'd rather not get the ticket myself its not as if there's that large of a performance gain from de-cat that it warrants the price of tickets and possible loss of vehicle.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

The difference between a test pipe and a high flow cat isn't much at all...well under 1hp difference.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard of using Dual Brick Cat. You know anything bout that Brian?
Old Mar 29, 2002, 11:24 PM

Would a high-flow cat still pass emissions tests?
Old Mar 30, 2002, 01:05 AM

Finally something i know something about.

This is my first post, i've been reading through for a couple weeks now. A few years ago i got pulled over for a to loud exhaust(on a honda mind you) and the cop actually got on his back and with his billy club hit my cat only to find out it was hollow. I dunno whether he was being nice or what but he wrote me a ticket to report to a referee station to get my car smogged. I think it really will depend on the cop. I luckily had my original cat left and slapped it back on with my stock exhaust and got it smogged just fine. I ended up with only a $10 fix it ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by raul
Federal offense for them to install it on your car. It is all fun and games. It is illegal to run around with a dime bag of weed in the car too. I dare them to catch me with either.
can I make that my quote?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

ive been driving around wiht a straight pipe for a few months and im not gonna get a ticket cause ill ter it up lol

i think im gonna make some kind of sheild for my pipe to make it look like a cat and then put smpoe **** so it dont sound hollow
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

i dare you to tear up a ticket... and what the hell is smpoe?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

my friend has a 94 supra tt and he had a straight pipe and the cop noticed this because of the sound of the car... well the cop didnt know..l just being a ***** and pulled him over... then he asked my friend to jack the car up... and he saw that it was hollow... all the cop did was say...nice car... gave him a working order... and left... and my other friend has a 01 civic and he has a straight pipe... but he has toronto tags... so the cop just let him go... i dunno if its a federal law... ive only seen working orders... never an impound... thats kind of harsh... isnt it?

Quick Reply: Interesting info regarding cat removal / test pipe install