Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4g94 for evo engine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and better get stronger axles and w/e u call it lol. our cars werent built for that much power.......
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
True but if i bought an sti id keep it stock. Subarus are a whole different beast to mod than other cars.
Not to be rude, but that's complete horse****. Amby and I have both owned Mitsubishis AND Subarus. They are no different to modify than any other car.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

they are no different but subarus are somewhat more difficult because of the flat four design injectors and spark plugs are a ***** to do and the upper mount intercooler blocks the path of just aout everything so that is fun to remove but imo they respond better to mods then most cars.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by senate6268
You might want to look at what crypto said in his response to your original post in regards to doing a custom 16G6 turbo setup on your Lancer. You want to be faster than stock Evos and WRXs? That would be a very good start. Here's my math:

$1800 custom 16G6 turbo kit (approx cost)
$750 forged rods
$550 forged pistons
$500 clutch and flywheel
--------------
$3600 for 300HP+ on a built 4G94. And honestly, nobody has really pushed the full limits of the custom 16G6 turbo setup on a built motor. I see potential for 400HP given that the stock 16G6 turbo is good to 20-21psi. As you said, you would be lacking the AWD and Brembos. However, you can always get a Wilwood big brake kit and there are your 4 piston calipers up front. Add an LSD and some sticky tires and you might be a bit surprised at the power and speed you'd have out of a 4G94...
To beat an evo or a wrx/sti from a roll isn't hard, but I doubt even a 300 hp lancer could beat them from a stop since this is where these cars shine. Your budget is pretty good but it's missing a lot of things. You'd need everything to get to 300 hp meaning exhaust, TB, IM and some way to tune it. Install costs and tuning costs would also be pretty high if you wanted it done right. 400 hp on a FWD daily driver (or anything less than dedicated drag racer) is IMO silly since you won't be able to use the power on the street, you'll just spin your tires and eventually break something. A BBK doesn't make you stop any faster than just upgrading the pads, lines and maybe rotors, in fact they usually increase stopping distance since they change the brake balance and overcool the pads when driven normally. If you want evo performance, you need to buy an evo. If you want a reasonably quick lancer, go for an RRM or custom kit and shoot for 200 or maybe 230 hp.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

The same rules apply whether you're talking about a mitsushi, a subaru or a dodge. Sure the layout might change, but that could be said of any vehicle and by that logic modding a civic is unlike modding any other car out there.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Not to be rude, but that's complete horse****. Amby and I have both owned Mitsubishis AND Subarus. They are no different to modify than any other car.
Im talking ecu wise. Everything you do you must have engine management. Upgraded BOV's are not needed until the boost is set quite a bit higher. No need for an intake unless your upgrading turbos. Thats different than most cars. Intake, TBE, and MBC with a tune will get you plenty of power on an evo. Where as on the sti, there isnt much to do before your upgrading the intercooler and turbo to make decent power.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

the price to pay for a "sleeper" lancer....... id agree on just building up your lancer for what it is. +1 for being unique.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by senate6268
You might want to look at what crypto said in his response to your original post in regards to doing a custom 16G6 turbo setup on your Lancer. You want to be faster than stock Evos and WRXs? That would be a very good start. Here's my math:

$1800 custom 16G6 turbo kit (approx cost)
$750 forged rods
$550 forged pistons
$500 clutch and flywheel
--------------
$3600 for 300HP+ on a built 4G94. And honestly, nobody has really pushed the full limits of the custom 16G6 turbo setup on a built motor. I see potential for 400HP given that the stock 16G6 turbo is good to 20-21psi. As you said, you would be lacking the AWD and Brembos. However, you can always get a Wilwood big brake kit and there are your 4 piston calipers up front. Add an LSD and some sticky tires and you might be a bit surprised at the power and speed you'd have out of a 4G94...
Is the 16G6 turbo any different from the 16G kit RRM offers?

Originally Posted by ambystom01
To beat an evo or a wrx/sti from a roll isn't hard, but I doubt even a 300 hp lancer could beat them from a stop since this is where these cars shine. Your budget is pretty good but it's missing a lot of things. You'd need everything to get to 300 hp meaning exhaust, TB, IM and some way to tune it. Install costs and tuning costs would also be pretty high if you wanted it done right. 400 hp on a FWD daily driver (or anything less than dedicated drag racer) is IMO silly since you won't be able to use the power on the street, you'll just spin your tires and eventually break something. A BBK doesn't make you stop any faster than just upgrading the pads, lines and maybe rotors, in fact they usually increase stopping distance since they change the brake balance and overcool the pads when driven normally. If you want evo performance, you need to buy an evo. If you want a reasonably quick lancer, go for an RRM or custom kit and shoot for 200 or maybe 230 hp.
Yeah that all wheel drive really helps them from a dead stop, but I am sure I would only be racing in that aspect mostly at the track, and then I would be going up against mostly hondas, acura intergras, etc. The WRX's and EVO were built for this so I understand that they will always have an upper edge. My estimate earlier was lacking all that I plan on doing. I am not planning on throwing a turbo on and calling it a day. I plan to fully build the engine, then throw on the turbo.
My ultimate plan is to build the lower half with forged pistons and rods. Then new head and cam, new cam gear if needed, IM, TB, clutch, exhaust, the whole works, then a good tune to make it all work together.
After I have the power, then comes the suspension, coilovers, camber kit, new brake and clutch lines, already have a nice set of 17" with proxy 4's. I only would like the brembo brakes due to what I have heard about the EVO's stopping power, that those breaks really shine on that car. I don't want something only for looks, I want to stop my beast. I would just like 4 piston calipers to help with that. Is it just the slotted and drilled rotors that make them longer to stop? If so, I would love to have the kit with plain rotors with better calipers.
Again, I am not looking for the fastest car out there, and even if I did swap the motor out, I wouldn't be looking to pump the HP to the max, just thought that motor would need less mods to get the same power that the 4G94 would get with a complete rebuild. I am not looking to hit 400HP, heck even 300HP might be too much, but would be nice, just may be a bit much for a daily driver.

So after much info from all of you, which I can't thank you all enough for, I believe I will be building the OZ up, forget about the EVO engine. Keep an eye out for me, you will see a thread that I will start when the mods start to be put into place!!!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
Im talking ecu wise. Everything you do you must have engine management. Upgraded BOV's are not needed until the boost is set quite a bit higher. No need for an intake unless your upgrading turbos. Thats different than most cars. Intake, TBE, and MBC with a tune will get you plenty of power on an evo. Where as on the sti, there isnt much to do before your upgrading the intercooler and turbo to make decent power.
That is true of every car out there, it's just done more when the gains are more substantial. Technically you should tune a lancer after every mod to get the most out of them but when that means an extra 1 hp for say an hour of tuning, most people don't think it's worth doing. The rest of what you said is the same for most performance cars, the stock stuff doesn't need replacing because it was made for performance, not price or fuel economy. A tune and a TBE will get you a lot of power on an STI, look up Cobb and see their website for more info.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

To answer Jessbo's question, increasing braking performance isn't as easy as just increasing the number of pistons, size of the rotors, etc. it's actually requires a lot of research. Brembos are not all they are cracked up to be, a lot of people say the brakes on the WRX are just as good as the brakes on the STi with the main reason for the difference between them (a whole 15 feet) being tires followed by brake pad material. Obviously the STi has better brakes though but this would only become apparent at a real track day meaning when the brakes are put under repeated stress. If I were you I'd just upgrade the rotors (to slotted), the brake pads and get stainless steel lines.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

so thats what makes better stopping instead of that other that over cools?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

What, I don't understand what you're saying.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

yes you can swap an evo engine or jsu the turbo depends on how much effort you wanna put into it all the parts used from car-parts.com wouldnt be too expensive i think i even saw soem threads on this in the the es forum. you could even do it for cehaper than selling your car and getting a used evo. with a used evo you wil have to do some maitenece as well. it all depends on how much work you are gonan do on your own if you want to pay some1 for the work than screw it not worth it to have a sleeper lancer labor would be insane
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
To answer Jessbo's question, increasing braking performance isn't as easy as just increasing the number of pistons, size of the rotors, etc. it's actually requires a lot of research. Brembos are not all they are cracked up to be, a lot of people say the brakes on the WRX are just as good as the brakes on the STi with the main reason for the difference between them (a whole 15 feet) being tires followed by brake pad material. Obviously the STi has better brakes though but this would only become apparent at a real track day meaning when the brakes are put under repeated stress. If I were you I'd just upgrade the rotors (to slotted), the brake pads and get stainless steel lines.
Well if i were to mod an sti i would get cobb stage 2 then p&p stock turbo with a larger top mount or possibly a front mount. Next would be a protune. But when it comes to adding performance its evo hands down imho.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

You should do some readings over at NASIOC if you plan on getting a subaru. Evos are easier to mod, but that doesn't mean STis are hard to mod, it's just a matter of knowing what you're doing and how far you want to go.

Quick Reply: 4g94 for evo engine