Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4g94 for evo engine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g94 swap for evo engine

I have an 'o3 lancer oz. I was thinking about swapping out my engine for the evo engine rather than spend the same amount of money upgrading my current 4g94 engine. What all would I need beyond the enging to make this work, and would it all fit in my engine bay? I know I would atleast need a new transmission, so new crate engine w/turbo and trans would be about 10k, same amount for parts and turbo for 4g94. Ideas, thoughts, anyone?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well first thing you would need to do is search these boards. This stuff has been covered a millions times.

Secondly, an Evo engine swap is a lot of work, and will require lots of custom parts and plenty of man hours.
Honestly you would be better off just building a custom turbo kit for your 4g94 engine using an Evo 16G.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:59 AM

The only thread I saw was replace with an old eclipse engine, not a evo crate engine. I was just thinking puting that engine in stock would give me the same power that I could achieve max with the mods to my current motor. with the evo motor, I could go from there and mod like crazy.

Engine and Trans run about 10k, then I see that a wiring harness and ecu could run me another 2k, then with install of the engine, which from what I understand fits, but would just need a third motor mount installed. Doesn't seem to be that complex or difficult. But then again I have never done it, just assuming
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessbo
The only thread I saw was replace with an old eclipse engine, not a evo crate engine. I was just thinking puting that engine in stock would give me the same power that I could achieve max with the mods to my current motor. with the evo motor, I could go from there and mod like crazy.

Engine and Trans run about 10k, then I see that a wiring harness and ecu could run me another 2k, then with install of the engine, which from what I understand fits, but would just need a third motor mount installed. Doesn't seem to be that complex or difficult. But then again I have never done it, just assuming
I love that you're willing to spend more money on an engine swap than what you probably paid for your car. It can be done though. One issue I would focus on is that of your transmission and axles. Unless you are going to have a massive amount of fab work done to fit the EVO rear end, you will have a FWD 4G63. This means that you will be using your Lancer transmission and axles for the swap. I don't see either lasting long on the 4G63 engine with the power and torque it will have.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeh it'd probably be easier to just go buy an evo.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:48 PM

That is what I was afraid of. I just can't bring myself to buying and evo, seeing as I just paid of my lancer, I want the car just don't want another car payment. I could prob pick up a used evo for around 20k, but then I also have to worry about who tore it up before I bought it and the problems they caused. Guess I am stuck to upgrading my lancer!

Arrrgh, I just wish the swap would be easier. You would think with all the similarities that you should be able to swap parts between the two without issue, but I guess I am mistaken
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=4g63+swap
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=4g63+swap
This topic has been covered a lot in the past. So far I only know of one person who has done it (the top link). It is very costly and not exactly simple but it is possible if you want to do it.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

yes, we all wodner why its such a difficult swap. but i thik if it was easy then every1 would just buy a reg lancer and the evo engine. Instead of buying the evo itself?. just my .02 cents
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm 10k + 2k + sell your lancer around 6k and you almost have a used evo 8.

Personally i dont think id buy an evo used but an sti i would no doubt about it.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:55 PM

Yeah I am not so sure about buying a used "race car" just because I don't know who abused it to what degree before I got it. My buddy abused his wrx right off the lot, and ending up needing engine work soon after.

Decisions, decisions. I know I can get good hp through complete engine mods with turbo, but one member on here says that with his turbo setup, that is pulls great, just not from a dead stop, says there is torque and traction issues. Not sure what he meant by that, but I am assuming the wheels burn off rather than launch.

I have no problem moding my oz, but ultimately would be lacking the AWD and Brembo brakes the Evo comes standard with. I don't need to be the fastest car out there, but it would be nice to just be faster than stock evo's and wrx's, possibly the sti model, but may just be wishful thinking.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Well id buy an sti used over an evo because people beat on them and they wont break as easy as an evo. Im talking about tranny and clutch issues.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Dude my advice to you about the swap would be just to say F it. If you dont want to do this to be the fastest car out there but you would rather be a unique lancer then do this. Since you are willing to drop around 12K for the swap IMO you should build the bottom end of the 4g94. After that get the IC turbo kit from RRM if you want something proven or put together your own. Drop the rest into the suspension and you will have yourself one nice mean lancer.

Your other option, and the best one there, is to get a better platform to mod. As I have read you dont want to buy another car so this option wouldnt work for you.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerOZ Boy
Well id buy an sti used over an evo because people beat on them and they wont break as easy as an evo. Im talking about tranny and clutch issues.
Both are the same, if you can't drive worth a damn, an STI will break. If you can't drive worth a damn, an evo will break. STIs have problems too (engine problems) it's just a matter of not being a dink and knowing what to look out for.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I am not so sure about buying a used "race car" just because I don't know who abused it to what degree before I got it. My buddy abused his wrx right off the lot, and ending up needing engine work soon after.

Decisions, decisions. I know I can get good hp through complete engine mods with turbo, but one member on here says that with his turbo setup, that is pulls great, just not from a dead stop, says there is torque and traction issues. Not sure what he meant by that, but I am assuming the wheels burn off rather than launch.

I have no problem moding my oz, but ultimately would be lacking the AWD and Brembo brakes the Evo comes standard with. I don't need to be the fastest car out there, but it would be nice to just be faster than stock evo's and wrx's, possibly the sti model, but may just be wishful thinking.
You might want to look at what crypto said in his response to your original post in regards to doing a custom 16G6 turbo setup on your Lancer. You want to be faster than stock Evos and WRXs? That would be a very good start. Here's my math:

$1800 custom 16G6 turbo kit (approx cost)
$750 forged rods
$550 forged pistons
$500 clutch and flywheel
--------------
$3600 for 300HP+ on a built 4G94. And honestly, nobody has really pushed the full limits of the custom 16G6 turbo setup on a built motor. I see potential for 400HP given that the stock 16G6 turbo is good to 20-21psi. As you said, you would be lacking the AWD and Brembos. However, you can always get a Wilwood big brake kit and there are your 4 piston calipers up front. Add an LSD and some sticky tires and you might be a bit surprised at the power and speed you'd have out of a 4G94...
Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Both are the same, if you can't drive worth a damn, an STI will break. If you can't drive worth a damn, an evo will break. STIs have problems too (engine problems) it's just a matter of not being a dink and knowing what to look out for.
True but if i bought an sti id keep it stock. Subarus are a whole different beast to mod than other cars.

Quick Reply: 4g94 for evo engine