Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

~~~ Project Dark Horse 2.0 - Single Tip Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~~~ Project Dark Horse 2.0 - Single Tip Exhaust

It all started over a year ago, the first dark horse project was a dual exhaust axle back. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=24

I must have went thru about 5 different exhaust manufacturers, hooking it up, hearing the sound, or looking at the performance on the dyno and then throwing it away. When I got to the 5th exhaust, I knew I found the right one. It was the right sound, and the right level of performance. The stars aligned and I fell in love for the second time, "*sorry in advance to my girlfriend if she reads this". Anyways, back to what I was saying, I knew that this was the exhaust that was perfect for a dual exhaust setup. The progress of this can be seen in the link above, with all the sound clips and bodykit pictures to go with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

source: http://www.evosoul.com/blog/?p=29

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This exhaust still needed alot of work, a properly fitted S pipe made to connect the exhaust muffler to the downpipe. Pipes needed to be cut and bent, hangers reused for hanging the thing. But all in all, everything worked. When I first approached the manufacturer they were really friendly, and helpful, when I asked if I could do another project in 2008 or 09 on a single exhaust variant they were all ears and thumbs up. But then again when someone off the street comes up to your business and says they will do all the R&D for a product, I might say YES!!! as well.

The original plan was to do the work myself with the same cast of friends here in Toronto, but things have change, the market has gone south, some of the guys just done have the free time of drinking and playing poker and fooling around with welding pipes. What can I say, bad economy right Make matters worse and an extra kick in the nutz, the USA vs. Canadian Currency exchange rate has moved unfavorably for us simple Canadians

But even thru all the hard times, the manufacturer was still there, so I turned to them to carry on the R&D, they have everything in house, so at least I know it can trust they will do it properly. I had selected one guy in the local area to be the test subject for this exhaust about 6 months ago, when i followed up recently I found out his poor lancer was repossessed and he was filing for bankruptcy. Yikes! So now I have to turn to make an open appeal to someone who is brave enough to allow a company to take welding torch around their car and make magic happen. lol well I dont think the torch will be used, but you know what i mean. I baby my car, I dont let anyone touch it, I wouldnt even let my girlfriend drive the car, but because it is also under her name I gave in. But if anyone is willing to take that leap of faith and you reside in or just south of Atlanta let me know.

I will not disclose the manufacturer just because they dont want calls coming in for something they do not officially make, and it wouldnt speed things up either. Remember this is just a Canadians wild experiment. So I will not say the name right now, if you know who, keep it to yourself.

In an attempt to head off stuff, here is a FAQ

1. What will it sound like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9u6sm8t2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C612D...eature=related
At the time of those youtube videos, I did have a SRI, but if you have a subwoofer hooked up to your computer you will be able to hear the exhaust clearly, there are no low bass tones to a SRI.

2. What does it look like?

look at the picture above, it will end up looking a little longer with the S pipe connection

3. How much will it cost?

Dont know, the company has 0 plans to develop it at this time, they are just doing it because I am a fan of their exhaust and its an interesting project.

4. What do I get out of this? Any money?

No money, just completing a project, and maybe one day I might convert back to a single exhaust. Money is not the objective to my projects at this time. Hey I use to be a NYSE Prop Trader.

5. What are the specs of this exhaust?

Made out of high quality stainless steel. I am really impressed, I have heat treated the pipes for bending, cut them multiple times, and driven it in two winter tires, so it wont rust. The diameter specs of your stock exhaust and this after market exhaust are talked about here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=318439

6. How much power will this yield?

TQ is the focus and it should be the highest TQ Axleback out there. Dyno's will be conducted independent of myself for verification. More theory behind this thinking can be found in the link above and below
http://www.evosoul.com/blog/?p=66

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will update the FAQ if more questions arise.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude i want that exhaust, bad. provided the pricing is good i'd love to buy one. if you want i can take pics etc of the install just let me know when you are going to sell them
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

sorry its unknown what the manufacturer will do after the project is complete. but once done, I will release the full "white paper" on how to recreate the kit. I am just trying to avoid having the poor guys swamped with phone calls and emails.

we will see what happens. If I can find someone from Atlanta that would be great. someone who is willing to bring their car in for a few hours.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
sorry its unknown what the manufacturer will do after the project is complete. but once done, I will release the full "white paper" on how to recreate the kit. I am just trying to avoid having the poor guys swamped with phone calls and emails.

we will see what happens. If I can find someone from Atlanta that would be great. someone who is willing to bring their car in for a few hours.
im from sw florida or i would :\
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JWhat89
im from sw florida or i would :\
would you be willing to make the trip up to south Atlanta? if so I willl keep you in mind if no one comes forward

Last edited by evo_soul; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:08 PM

i might, i dont know if i want to drive that far because thats a what atleast a 10 hr drive? Id hate to do it by myself and my friends would probably be working... ill keep it in mind though
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

If I cant find someone in Atlanta then I will import the project in to Canada. My time line is to get this done by March and have a special batch made up for my local car club guys here.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:42 AM

when u finish the exhaust can i buy it of u?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Its possible because I may retain my dual exhaust kit. What can I say I love my duals , So ya the single tip I may sell. But usually when i finish up a project, I will sell it and either donate to charity or reinvest it into another project.

I made a bet with the girlfriend, that I could raise 20,000 with a budget of 2000 of input costs towards a RalliArt
Old Dec 20, 2008, 06:26 PM

hey I'm from Puerto Rico and I have read all your post, evo-soul, how can u help me out. the only exhaust that I have research that actually convinces me is the 60 series muffler from Flowmaster, but the thing is that the sound is a little loud for ma taste. I will complement it with a Cherry-Bomb resonator to lower the decibel level. Other than this, help me out. Please

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:25 PM

I live in Apopka, Fl about thirty minutes north west of Orlando. Are you still looking for someone to guinea pig?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo-monstar
hey I'm from Puerto Rico and I have read all your post, evo-soul, how can u help me out. the only exhaust that I have research that actually convinces me is the 60 series muffler from Flowmaster, but the thing is that the sound is a little loud for ma taste. I will complement it with a Cherry-Bomb resonator to lower the decibel level. Other than this, help me out. Please

Thanks
I have never been a fan of Flow master, Although hear good things about there performance and durability. The sounds generally dont appeal to me.

That said, I would look into getting a Borla Exhaust, it sounds great and performs really well. And its completely rust proof. The cost is a bit pricy but hey, what isnt these days.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

If I cant find a person by Early January in the Atlanta Area I will conduct the project myself. I will be selling a reserve front and back bodykit lip for the lancer to fund it. Unless someone wants to donate 600 dollars to the cause lol haha
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I have never been a fan of Flow master, Although hear good things about there performance and durability. The sounds generally dont appeal to me.

That said, I would look into getting a Borla Exhaust, it sounds great and performs really well. And its completely rust proof. The cost is a bit pricy but hey, what isnt these days.

why not the thing is its 3 chamber desing , is not a flow through desing that will kill low and mid range but will give u a good high-end, the thing is that i wlll want to have all 3 of them, balance is the word, and the other thing it don'ts have fiberglass that at the long run will burn-up, increasing the sound of the exhust.

PS cops down here will give a ticket for ALL "loudsy" "mufflers"

PS i can get the an axel-back for 150 instal and everything!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Since I have failed to find anyone who lives in or around Atlanta, I will be taking over the project from the manufacturer, this will be a longer process since I have many projects already on my plate.

If anyone owns a 2.4 or 2.0L and lives in Atlanta or close to it and wouldnt mind driving there to get a free exhaust for prototyping. let me know by Friday.

I am not looking forward to deal with UPS imports.

Quick Reply: ~~~ Project Dark Horse 2.0 - Single Tip Exhaust