Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Clicking sound at Idle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clicking sound at Idle

so when the hood sup the engine sound somewhat like a deisel altho not THAT bad...i asked the mechanic at the dealership whats up..he said the clicking was jus the solenoids, fuel injectors etc. that are making sound. i thought it could have been the valves opening/closing but my worst fear was a bad gap between the camshaft lobes n the top of the valves. i remind u this is at idle, when i rev eveything sound slike it should....

yet i dont know what to believe cuz this guy was sayin the ****in intake i have on (rrm sri) is a cold air..and the STOCK SUB that comes wit the gts was an aftermarket one i put in...(i took it in for rattling in my door panels)

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine too.... it's normal. It seems to get worse when it is cold...
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:53 AM

its normal, ive heard its just the mivec, my dad said it could be the rocker arms or something like that i really cant remember, but hes a mechanic :P
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel injectors.....
Old Jan 25, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

aight thanks guys
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:32 AM

Mine also sounds like that. I think its either a problem or a POS. When i first bought the car, it happened intermittently, now its just constant. SOunds nothing like the 4-banger in either of my family's Nissan's or Toyota's

Ahh well, thats what warrenty's are for
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:03 AM

lol yea my gf says my car sounds like a diesel engine

glad im not the only one
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

The engine seems to be worse when it is cold... but who knows. I just try to ignore the clicking until it warms up.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stcguy05
Mine also sounds like that. I think its either a problem or a POS. When i first bought the car, it happened intermittently, now its just constant. SOunds nothing like the 4-banger in either of my family's Nissan's or Toyota's

Ahh well, thats what warrenty's are for
thats exactly why i was so pissed off/worried bout that **** man... i never herd a 4 cyl sound like that
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

its common in mitsubishis.

mine is even worse now that i added WRX injectors, they're loud
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:22 AM

Yea, mine seems to have became worse, i can hear it clearly when sitting inside the cabin. Mitsubishi thing or not, that "just don't sound right". My 83' Mercedes Diesel runs quieter, and that has mechanical Lifters in it!! I'll eventually take it to the stealer once another issue pops up. So far i have I have windows that fog up constantly (i think there is a incorrect seal between either the windshield or the rear-windshield, the engine making to much top end noise (the diesel sound) and every time i turn the key, i wonder if it will crank over. Its been really "sloppy" with starting lately. Not to the point like it was before when i took it in the last time because i would constantly have to crank it (no start issue).

Just waiting for one more issue to come up, that way i dont look like a fool when i take it in. (since i've takin it in now 3 times for other issues)
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:14 PM

mine does it too its all good ! nothing a little rockford fosgate sound system cant drown out =P
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:06 PM

4g69s tick too! do those solenoids get hot? maybe some kinda wrap will quiet it down?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stcguy05
Yea, mine seems to have became worse, i can hear it clearly when sitting inside the cabin. Mitsubishi thing or not, that "just don't sound right". My 83' Mercedes Diesel runs quieter, and that has mechanical Lifters in it!! I'll eventually take it to the stealer once another issue pops up. So far i have I have windows that fog up constantly (i think there is a incorrect seal between either the windshield or the rear-windshield, the engine making to much top end noise (the diesel sound) and every time i turn the key, i wonder if it will crank over. Its been really "sloppy" with starting lately. Not to the point like it was before when i took it in the last time because i would constantly have to crank it (no start issue).

Just waiting for one more issue to come up, that way i dont look like a fool when i take it in. (since i've takin it in now 3 times for other issues)
well check this ****...everytime i take my ride to em for oil change i get tires rotated..and the last 2 times they rotated em, ive been gettin vibrations in the steering wheel on the freeway...and on top of that my front door panels r hella vibratin, the music doesnt even have to loud its jus like a certain tone that will make em do it.....one of my dealerships said its not covered while the other one said theyll fix it for free cuz its a warranty issue...wtf? WTF? ****ing iiidiots man..idiots..
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:42 AM

Yea something isn't right. my friend 03 OZ rally is quiet to the point i cant hear it running. Granted this is the new mivec engine that gets "over 500 miles to a tank" But the sound is starting to become inbaressing. Thinking i might take it to an Indi to see if he can determine the problem, that way when i go to the dealer i can tell them what needs to be fixed!

Quick Reply: Clicking sound at Idle