Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4B11 compared to 4B11T

Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4B11 compared to 4B11T

Hey guys,
Im going turbo in a week or so on my GTS, and was wondering exactly the differences between the 4b11 and 4b11t. I ask this because eventually, I would like to make the same or more HP as an evo X and do it at about 20 or so psi, but what all is upgraded in the T that isnt in the regular 4b11? I know the pistons and cams are upgraded, but what else? does the 4b11T have an open deck like the regular lancers? etc., etc.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

pistons, cams, head work(ported and polished, or a different head completely), crankshaft, rods, bearings, seals, umm what else lol. Figure it this way, what parts do they have in common. Engline block check, and that is about it. I would be willing to bet ALL of the internals are upgraded. The piston sleeves used are most likely different also.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

haha wow i didnt think THAT much. aren't our rods and crankshafts already forged though? if so, how many pounds can they withstand before becoming unstable and blowing up?

Also, what exactly would I have to upgrade to run, lets say, 15 psi safely.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

You need to contact Rob from RRM. He should be able to help you understand a little more about the base lancer engine. PM, email, or call him up at t he shop. He always seems ready to help with anything. You could also do a google/wiki search on the engine.

It is possible our rods and crank are forged but that doesnt mean they are the same quality as the evo's. I think to safely run 15psi you are going to want to get ahold of either A) some low compression pistons custom made or B) see if the evo pistons will work. You are also going to have to get a full set of gaskets that are rated for higher pressure. I also think at this point you are going to be past the point where a "timing change" is going to be able to keep the engine running efficiently. I believe the RRM kit is running somewhere around 8psi and is something like 230 at the wheels. So you will need cams. Here is a link to a site that seems to have EVERY component for our car and the evo...do some research and see if the part numbers are different. That will be your best info on whats different.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

dude....i love you so much! (no homo)

thanks a lot man, i didnt even realize about a timing change, thats a really good point. I guess in the future ill just call RRM or frank at xtremeboost and talk to them more seriously about this issue. Although now I know i definitely need pistons, gaskets, (head studs?), and cams.

thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be cheaper/easier to swap a 4B11T into the lancer instead of upgrading the 4B11. I Think the dealer sales 4B11Ts for around $5k (don't quote me on that, I saw that number somewhere) and supposedly it comes with the stock evo X turbo and pipes and everything
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

damn you bladed, trying to steal my mojo! lol jk, ya it may be cheaper to just get an evo longblock with turbo than to upgrade the base engines internals.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was under the impression the 4B11T was a semi-closed deck design and the 4B11 was open deck. So even though they almost share the same code, the block itself is a totally different casting, along with having a totally different head.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I was under the impression the 4B11T was a semi-closed deck design and the 4B11 was open deck. So even though they almost share the same code, the block itself is a totally different casting, along with having a totally different head.
so does that mean no matter what internals i have, 15 psi is a no-no?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
so does that mean no matter what internals i have, 15 psi is a no-no?
I do not have experience building N/A cars for forced induction. 15psi does sound high for even a n/a car built with forged internals, but undoubtedly someone will come along who has done it with a honda or some other car and say, of course its not a no-no. These days, with so many powerful tools available like stand alones, and block sleeves, thicker headgaskets, it could probably be done with a lower compression ratio.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

how much psi gonna resist the normal lancer ?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

That is speculation, no one knows the actual answer unless they have found out first hand.

speculate 7-9 psi....
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

ok .. so what about the intake manifold ? I have a regular lancer and it comes with a Plastic Intake Manifold and the Evo or Ralliart comes with an Alluminum Intake Manifold.

So it will resist that ? I don't want to blow the intake manifold (its funny to see that plastic one is expensive than alluminum one)

Another question, does anybody knows if I can change the Intake Manifold ? take an Evo X manifold and put it into my Lancer ?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

I think it is better to decide right now if you are going to be happy with like 200whp or not.

If you are then all you need is a bolt on turbo kit that will push 7-9psi, whatever the builder of the kit thinks is safe.

If you know you will want more then that just go ahead and save up for an Evo/RA swap. It is the most cost effective way to get more hp and more potential in the car and a better way then throwing parts at a N/A longblock.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Actually I think 200-250 is ok for a FWD, I am looking into get an evo soon so I just want to have a little more power in my car.
The following users liked this post:
Almalhmood (Jan 8, 2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4B11 compared to 4B11T