Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Looking fr more HP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking fr more HP

I have the things i've done so far listed in my signature. Any suggestions as to what route to take next? The car is running strong but you all know there is always room for improvement. The next thing i'm getting is road race grip springs but what should i add next to add horsepower. I was thinking headers or a chip although all i've really found in the way of chips only adds 6-8 and seems to only be a piggy back. Going to keep the motor naturally aspirated for now. What do you guys think?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

headers..alot of $ for lil gain...other than that, engine wise ur lookin at a turbo or stroker kit. not much else to do sept for a flash or piggy, or timing mod from rrm

also u could focus on cuttin some weight. its not all about power
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:17 PM

i agree, te headers are pricey....just worried about a turbo. I have never had a 4cyl that didn't have issues after to turbo'd it but there isn't really much in the way of power for the lancer. What would you cut out as far as weight goes?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

if u have the money to spend..and if ur serious about it..theyres always the cf hood, trunk, and now also the roof, on top of that seibon has cf doors, and i think now the cf front fenders...get a thin battery kit (ams)...and the obvious, take out ur spare tire/jack/tools, ive had mine out for ages..u can really tell the difference, its like almost 40 lbs...on top of that the stock axleback is hella heavy, when i swapped that out for my Works Exhale, i saved 21 lbs

*edit* i recently saw an evo X with a DRY carbon hood...itll fit the lancers no prob..itll weigh hella less than a traditional carbon hood, but will be more expensive

check the thread "weight cutting options" in the engine tech section....get some lightweight wheels..koseis r cheap and hella light, tirerack.com, like 17-18 lbs, but dont hold up well to big potholes lol, ive herd of them bending.

Works has said they are working on a turbo kit, headers, some other goodies, but are kinda sidetracked with some events going on. xtremeboost's turbo kit should be out soon..supposedly a better design (from the looks of it) than rrm's, and cheaper..well see when its actually COMPLETED lol.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

I spoke to a guy at AMS performance about their new "lightweight battery kit". If you go to their website: AMSperformance.com look under "Products" and it is located as a new Ralliart part. The guy I PM'd said that this battery will work in a 08 or 09 base model Lancer as well!! Good for us NA guys. The article also states that the stock battery in the Lancers weighs in at 35 lbs with the tie downs!! The new AMS battery kit only weighs in at 15 lbs.!! That makes your car 15 pounds lighter just with a smaller battery! The one thing that the guy mentioned was that this battery will work with the Rockford Fosgate system that comes stock in the GTS, but would not use this battery for any sound systems bigger then that. If you have huge Subwoofers in the trunk with a massive amp, you are defeating the whole purpose of cutting weight in the first place! LOL

Last edited by BABYGOTBACK; Apr 12, 2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

AMS battery Kit

This very easy to install piece will allow you to remove you heavy stock battery and mount a lightweight race battery on its side to not only lower the overall weight of the car but also lower the center of gravity. This easy to install piece bolts right in using all the factory mounting points.

The stock battery with tie down weighs a fat 35 lbs!!!

The AMS small battery kit only weights 15lbs! Like all AMS products this piece is assembled using only high quality material.
The battery itself will have no problems starting your car in some of the meanest of conditions and carries a long life.

**Please note this battery was not intended to operate high output stereo systems, mild stereo's are compatible.**

*Battery Specs*

680 cranking amps
Short circuit current over 1800A
25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Length 7 1/16"
Width 2 15/16"
Height 7 3/16"
Weight 14.6 lb
**NOTE**

Small Batteries will fail if the posts are not torqued to 50 lb/in. Any more will cause damage to your battery. Batteries ship pre-torqued to spec.

The kit includes:

AMS Anodized Aluminum Battery Tie down plate (available in Black or Red)
Zinc plated Tie down hooks to prevent rusting over time
Nylon washers to keep the hardware from scratching the anodized aluminum tie down plate
A Durable non slip battery pad to keep the battery in place and protected
Wing nuts for an easy install and removal
Adjustable for use with almost all small batteries
AMS Small battery

Last edited by BABYGOTBACK; Apr 12, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:34 AM

Want more hp, get a zex nitrous ejector air amplifier and nitrous kit, 75 hp dry shot, easy install. Of course it would help if our cars were more easily tunable with a hand held or something. And no, I don't own one myself, but you were looking for more hp.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:21 PM

not to be an A@@ but can you please put your Cat converters back? 2hp gain is not worth phucking up everyones breathing air.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed

Originally Posted by smoke
not to be an A@@ but can you please put your Cat converters back? 2hp gain is not worth phucking up everyones breathing air.
That is a big reason why Jersey is such a nasty area; people gutting out their cat. converters, and leaving dirty needles on the beaches!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by I Am God
headers..alot of $ for lil gain...other than that, engine wise ur lookin at a turbo or stroker kit. not much else to do sept for a flash or piggy, or timing mod from rrm

also u could focus on cuttin some weight. its not all about power
There are no stroker kits for the 4b11, just the 4b11t, totally diff block, but other than turbo and weight cut, works flash might be best option, even though hp gain is minimal.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone on here have the Works Flash? Have not heard anything about results from everyday forum people, except from Works themselves. The power they claim, makes you wonder if true, why more people aren't jumping on the bandwagon and getting this Flash done?!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BABYGOTBACK
Does anyone on here have the Works Flash? Have not heard anything about results from everyday forum people, except from Works themselves. The power they claim, makes you wonder if true, why more people aren't jumping on the bandwagon and getting this Flash done?!
Prob because they have limited locations that can actually do the flash. What's holding me back is to have to remove and send the ECU to them.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

well first of all, in an N/A car, the worst thing you can do is do straight pipe....put a performance muffler on. you have actually lost power.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brndn23
There are no stroker kits for the 4b11, just the 4b11t, totally diff block, but other than turbo and weight cut, works flash might be best option, even though hp gain is minimal.
well u could argue whether the the JUN stroker kit will work, i know itll fit...

but the brian crower kit, said themselves their stroker kit will for all 4b11's, jus isnt out yet.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by I Am God
well u could argue whether the the JUN stroker kit will work, i know itll fit...

but the brian crower kit, said themselves their stroker kit will for all 4b11's, jus isnt out yet.
Not sure how JUN or Cosworth stroker kit would work. Isn't 4bll and 4bllt very diff blocks? I never saw anything about the brian crower though, so they probably making one specifically for n/a 4b11.

Quick Reply: Looking fr more HP