Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Need second opinion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need second opinion

whats up guys/gals, im new to this site and was wondering if yall could give me an opinion on what i should do with my 08 lancer de. see ive been thinking about doing a few mods to it but not much for now until i can save up some money and get a new motor and other major parts for the car. im completely new to the import scene and never have really worked on them before. mostly just american cars and such. I would like to hear some things about the car, ive heard different things about the motors in the evo and im trying to keep it cause i like the car. i dont mind if the car is going to be trouble, or about how much maintenance the car will need. haha, let me know what yall think.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

i would not recommend getting a new motor because you might as well save the money and get an evo (plus ur car trade in) now if you cant, im sure you will be happy with a nice turbo kit (diferent companies off them now) and a good tune for the car, dont expect to be running with upgraded evo X's or evo 9's or 8's (not to dis your car) just the fact of all wheel drive and different motor its hard to get a lancer into evo territory but you sure can get close, depends on the amount of money you want to spend anything can be achieved im sure. Welcome to the forum, if you look in the show and shine sections for your car there are a few members on here who already turboed thier lancers, ask them exactly what they did
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my opinion is if you are coming from a de pay it off, save money, and upgrade your car. The DE is lacking in area where the es and gts are not. Even in the ES and GTS there are very fine limits that will not get you near where an evo can go.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VrusX
whats up guys/gals, im new to this site and was wondering if yall could give me an opinion on what i should do with my 08 lancer de. see ive been thinking about doing a few mods to it but not much for now until i can save up some money and get a new motor and other major parts for the car. im completely new to the import scene and never have really worked on them before. mostly just american cars and such. I would like to hear some things about the car, ive heard different things about the motors in the evo and im trying to keep it cause i like the car. i dont mind if the car is going to be trouble, or about how much maintenance the car will need. haha, let me know what yall think.
There are a few modded dealer approved cars that are about to be torn down and rebuilt. I would wait a few months. There is a customized Yellow DE on the way that will give the GTS a run for the money
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Some small mods that will improve looks and won't cost a whole lot are:

-vinyl black out front bumper
-vinyl black out tail-lights
-HID's
-Yellow fog lights
-Powder coating rims

all fairly cheap and will substantially upgrade the look of your car.
new motor... This even I am iffy about. This car has so many computers an evo 4b11t swap is the closest motor that you can do without major modifications... Even this swap is going to require a major ecu customization... I've been trying to research this swap since I got my GTS. If you are looking for some performance mods I here the Injen CAI is a great little bugger and the RRM SRI v2 is a hit as well. For the exhaust the Greddy SE is looking solid, Magnaflow AB, and the big dog Injen Cat-back will cost you but I hear it is the dominant so far.

I wouldn't try doing an engine swap in this car unless you got the wallet for it and a ***t ton of aspirin. Just a recommendation because coming from muscles myself I can tell you first hand that the new imports and engine swapping is a gigantic head ache due to the massive amount of technology and computers they pack into these new models. If I may suggest another import route, I would say pick up a 90's Honda shell (500-1000) and do a power swap (the infamous H is one of the easiest and quickest power swap manufactures in the tuner scene and Honda's generally yield better results for the buck in terms of FF's).

the 4b11t costs 5500 from the dealer. If you are hell bent on swapping this car than I give you my best wish's man. It will be a sight to see if accomplished.

Last edited by Mayhem7o2; Apr 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
Some small mods that will improve looks and won't cost a whole lot are:

-vinyl black out front bumper
-vinyl black out tail-lights
-HID's
-Yellow fog lights
-Powder coating rims

all fairly cheap and will substantially upgrade the look of your car.
new motor... This even I am iffy about. This car has so many computers an evo 4b11t swap is the closest motor that you can do without major modifications... Even this swap is going to require a major ecu customization... I've been trying to research this swap since I got my GTS. If you are looking for some performance mods I here the Injen CAI is a great little bugger and the RRM SRI v2 is a hit as well. For the exhaust the Greddy SE is looking solid, Magnaflow AB, and the big dog Injen Cat-back will cost you but I hear it is the dominant so far.

I wouldn't try doing an engine swap in this car unless you got the wallet for it and a ***t ton of aspirin. Just a recommendation because coming from muscles myself I can tell you first hand that the new imports and engine swapping is a gigantic head ache due to the massive amount of technology and computers they pack into these new models. If I may suggest another import route, I would say pick up a 90's Honda shell (500-1000) and do a power swap (the infamous H is one of the easiest and quickest power swap manufactures in the tuner scene and Honda's generally yield better results for the buck in terms of FF's).

the 4b11t costs 5500 from the dealer. If you are hell bent on swapping this car than I give you my best wish's man. It will be a sight to see if accomplished.
Ya up until my interview with INJEN I did not know they had a FED spec CAT + Back exhaust. lol thought it was only PZEV. actually I am considering getting it if I make the conversion back to a single tip exhaust.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ancer-cai.html