Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

~I~ TLC & EVOSOUL INJEN Interview / Q&A for the 2008+ Lancer CAI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~I~ TLC & EVOSOUL INJEN Interview / Q&A for the 2008+ Lancer CAI

I have posted the INJEN Interview on my blog and will shortly be uploaded to the TLC website. The first half of the interview will be posted below, for the rest of the interview please visit my blog.

This thead is to discuess the answers provided by INJEN. I would like to thank INJEN for taking the time in their busy schedule to answer our questions. In the coming days and weeks more interviews with other manufacturers will be posted on the blog and discussed right here on www.evolutionm.net . Next will be the AEM response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INJEN Q&A

1. Your 2.0L Intake seems to produce a solid 9.23 HP, was this achieved on a Cali PZEV Spec Lancer (143HP)? If so what is the expected/projected gain on a FED Spec Lancer (152HP)?

Yes, the gains were achieved on a PZEV spec Lancer. The Gains you will achieve on the FED spec Lancer will be very similar if not more than the PZEV, due to the fact that the PZEV spec Lancer had an additional Catalytic converter to meet California’s emission standards.

2. What was the focus of your 2008+ Lancer 2.0L Intake? Looking at your Dyno Performance sheet, it seems that Peak Horsepower top of your agenda, were there any compromises you had to make to get that massive 9hp peak gain? (High vs low end or maybe HP vs. TQ )

Our primary focus when building any intake system is to make the most possible horsepower gains throughout the entire RPM range. We consider any drop of horsepower or torque below the stock base line to be unacceptable and will keep tuning until we draw out the maximum potential of the vehicle. With the Lancer as with any vehicle we design for, nothing is ever compromised.

3. Since the release of your COLD AIR INTAKE, Mitsubishi has now released a 2.4L engine variant. Do you believe the Intake sold for the 2.0L will suffice or would you consider making another intake for the 2.4L exclusively?

We just finished performing a battery of tests on the new 2.4L engine. The 2.4L ECU’s fuel & ignition maps is totally different from the 2.0L's ECU. The intake system for the 2.0L will not work with the 2.4L due to the 2.4L engine requiring more air. Using our patented M.R. Technology and Air Fusion design process we were able to produce the desire HP/TQ gains and safe air/fuel ratio’s that the factory ECU would accept. The new cold air intake for the Lancer 2.4L GTS will be ready for release shortly.

4. The fact that not many problems have been reported with your 2008+ Lancer intake speaks volumes. Many other Intake companies such as FUJITA have been plagued with CEL issues, Were there any difficulties or hurdles that you had to overcome for this Lancer project?

There are always difficulties when designing an intake system for late model vehicles. Today’s factory ECU are getting smarter and we have to work in conjunction with it or it will either reject it (throw a CEL) or just adapt to the modification and adjust its long term fuel trims to make it run like factory. We closely monitor the factor ECU’s performance when designing an intake system. Using our M.R. Technology and Air Fusion design process allows us to stabilize and make sure the short/long term fuel trims stay within a given percentage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the complete interview please visit http://www.evosoul.com/blog/?p=392

Cheers

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 21, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

i wonder if someone will do an independent dyno on a 2.4l engine with 2.0 intake and the new 2.4l intake.

i would gladly do it if i could get the 2.4l intake at a cheaper price, cant really afford to have 2 intakes at the same time.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lancer0220
i wonder if someone will do an independent dyno on a 2.4l engine with 2.0 intake and the new 2.4l intake.

i would gladly do it if i could get the 2.4l intake at a cheaper price, cant really afford to have 2 intakes at the same time.
we are tapping INJEN for the 2.4. They have submitted all their intakes up till now for our independant testing. and very soon we will start releasing our independent / ratified results. We had issues benchmarking mods with our canadian spec lancers so i had to drive to a shop in the states to ensure the gains were there.

now that we have a USA spec lancer we can now get the normal results we were looking for. I can testify that the INJEN intake makes the gains they are claiming.

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the 2.0 one (DOH!) about a week ago and im installing it today on my 2009 GTS 2.4L

I will probably get the 2.4L one when it comes out probably because it will run better on a 2.4L right?

I wouldn't want to hurt the engine or anything

*edit* apparently the new level motorsports site i ordered it from has a 1835 and 1835a version...

It said for the 2.4L 2009 lancer GTS? I wondered if the one i ordered is slightly tuned for the newer GTS??!?!?!

i have no idea

Last edited by beowulfhuntr; May 12, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:31 PM

Anyone know if this is indeed the 2.4L version? The picture is exactly the same as the 2.0L version. Link
Old May 12, 2009, 07:32 PM

How about just buying that piping part where the enlarge maf part is????
Old May 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by johntango
How about just buying that piping part where the enlarge maf part is????
I think the kit size is larger in general all the pipes might have an increase.

If that is the case then, the tuning might be thrown off if one pipe is changed and the others are kept the same.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

well i got the 2.4l intake only after selling my 2.0 intake and all i have to say is hmm seems to be quite better...theres no bog, no feel like the engine is struggling and my mpg increased. overall the pioping is larger and inside near the MAF sensor there is a small pipe that seems to control the amount of air that hits the maf sensor but still allows the air to get to the engine.

this is not seen in the 2.0l intake.

ill post pics of it soon
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:07 AM

Thank you very much for posting that important piece of info.

I think that some shops are on passing the 08 2.0L intakes as if they will fit the 2.4L.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the4thpower3
Thank you very much for posting that important piece of info.

I think that some shops are on passing the 08 2.0L intakes as if they will fit the 2.4L.
they DO FIT the 2.4L engine but they DONT work as well theres a difference.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

they DO FIT the 2.4L engine but they DONT work as well theres a difference.
They do fit, but they are actually different... The 2.0 intake piping is 2.50" and the 2.4 is 2.75". The TB on the 2.4 is slightly bigger so the 2.75" fits way easier!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Answer_1
They do fit, but they are actually different... The 2.0 intake piping is 2.50" and the 2.4 is 2.75". The TB on the 2.4 is slightly bigger so the 2.75" fits way easier!
yeah I KNOW they are actually different if you saw my post above you would see the pics i posted were of my 2.4l intake. i was just commenting on what you said that people were passing them off as if they would FIT (not work properly or are the same) which they do FIT but as already clarified are not the same.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

would it fit doing the reverse?

im trying to find this answer out, i bought an 08 GTS (CVT) and i love it its fun, wish it was manu or an evo but for the $ i had, ill take an 08 lancer over my old 99 saturn sl2 (which was a boss car thou) but can the 09 SRI fit on the 08? has anyone tried doing this? the 09 show to gain more HP then the 08, the 08 say about 7hp gain but i would love the 09 which has between 12-20 hp gain depending the brand.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:25 PM

It'll fit, you just probably won't get the same gains.
At least that's the understanding that I've gained. It probably wouldn't hurt too much if you did it. So long as there's no Check Engine Light that results from it.

Last edited by gik0geck0; May 8, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: More specific answer

Quick Reply: ~I~ TLC & EVOSOUL INJEN Interview / Q&A for the 2008+ Lancer CAI