Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

exhaust flammable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust flammable?

well, now that i have no cats, my exhaust strongly smells like unburned gas. i have no fuel computer or anything to change the stock a/f ratio. does my exhaust contain enough unburned fuel to ignite? ie, if i took my zippo lighter and stuck it down by the tip would it light? and if it did, would it damage the exhaust system or just burn up what was outside the car? smelling my exhaust is like putting your nose over a gas can and whiffing it in, seriously.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
Account Disabled

i dont think so...or at least it shouldnt be...but i dont really know...i hope not
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard of putting a spark plug in your exhaust worked off of a second coil and a switch which would shoot a flame out of your tip. Butt, this is on a car with cats and mufflers, it has plenty of unburned fuel already. I think its bad for an open exhaust car because the flame travels back when you let off and burns up valve seals. I know what you mean about the smell, I shut off my car and get out and it stinks like unburned fuel. I guess thats better than that rotten egg smell.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

i still have my cats on... and all my friends who drive behind me say my car has such a distinct smell... haha but i do know what u mean about the gas can smell, i can only imagine how bad its going to be once ig et my headers and test pipe near the end of thsi month!!! AH!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, im just curious as to what would happen if i just walked behind my car while it was idling and held my butane lighter to the exhaust... i have a feeling it would try to light.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 01:10 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it would light, even if there was very little unburnt fuel. And although I don't think it would hurt the engine, you'd probably get burned.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

hmm, ill have to try it...
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

that exhaust trick with the spark plug works only for mainly v8's and you have to basically flood you car to get that thing to work
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

and btw.. i wouldnt light it.. i blew my self up with gas before.. not pretty.. burnt all the skin off my right arm off ::: Don't try dumping 5 gallons of gas on a pile of wood and light with a match::: I had burn marks on my face from squinting.. it looked like i was chinese only on half my face
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Flame throwers- so fast and furious-lol. Back in the day- you would add an extra coil w/ plug in you exhuast tip, and burn the excess gas. nowadays- they have set ups for any type of car. even 4 bangers. the difference is that they a computer controlled and they retard the spark in on or two cylinders to make extra gas come out of the exhaust, but still keep the car running. The extra gs ignites with a plug and coil pack. They look cool-i quess- i personally would have it but alot of people do
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

this happened a couple of days ago...i was warming up the car in the garage(yes, it was opened), i started to rev it up (i'm just addicted to how it sounds), meanwhile, my nephew started to look all amazed and said," OOHH, ITS A FIRE..." i was like, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?" he said he saw "fire " coming from the exhaust...actually, he pointed at it! now i'm trying to find a camcorder so i can film it at night before i go to work or something!!! can't wait...
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I fear for the life of anyone smoking behind my car...and I don't even have a test pipe. I'm gonna recommend against you lighting it though. Don't wanna see anyone get hurt just in case it does ignite.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:07 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw, retarding 1, 2 or more cylinders in order to have unburnt fuel WILL cause a problem with your engine down the line, just in case someone wants to know.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

that rotten egg smell is the sulfur in the fuel.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

so it prolly would light then if i went down there and held a match up to it? cause it really smells like there is a lot of unburned gas in it.

Quick Reply: exhaust flammable?