Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Headers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headers

Well I decided to not turbo the oz rally after my front left axle went out on me. Lame...so I m planning on just 170-180ish hp. So, what header would be the best to install? I want to go with something nice that wont crack on me but wont kill the pocket book. So Help!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:05 PM

try checking on Road Race
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

I ve seen a few on there...I cant tell what numbers will increase with the headers...

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...377e286adbe3fc

this what your referring to ?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

i think its gonna be hard to hit that number with simple bolt ons. most guys who are turbo have problems hitting the 200whp mark...

yes it will increase flow but i doubt thatyur gonna hit those numbers n/a

josh
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Yah...kinda figured that..I just dont want to drop a turbo on it and then try to trade in for a Ralliart 10' in 2012 and get somewhere thats not a big loss. I d be happy with even 150 hp.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

You will not hit 180whp without turbo and probably not 150 either...However a header may give you 1-3 whp. Our cars have 120hp stock and lay down maybe 100whp so its gonna be tough to add a whole lot to that. The RRM header has good reviews and I think the OBX one does too...I have a no name ebay header and I love it.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

What exactly will the header do, I m kinda a newb to this....
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

It just replaces your factory exhaust manifold and it might have bigger/smoother openings in the pipes to give you better air flow. Just makes your exhaust less restrictive.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

ah ok so with my custom catback exhaust I ll see a difference.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:53 AM

i am not sure of this, but you may want to look into a 4g64 swap. it would be cheap (junkyards), header wise i have a obx lontube 4-2-1 header that is pretty ridiculous. intake, header, exhaust, tune will yield about a 15 - 20 hp increase maybe on your motor, or on the 4g64 if you can/choose to go that route.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a OBX 4-2-1 and like it.
A header will make your car alot louder and add a little power and mpg too!

I think 150hp can be done with our 4G94 N/A, but it'll take alot of bolt ons and a very good tune.
But really, with all the bolt ons and everything involved to get it there, you could just do a turbo for the same money.

But I understand if you don't wanna turbo, I'm goin the N/A route myself.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

True, I dont want to do a engine swap after all the reasearch I ve done. The 2010 Ralliart will be getting all the nice mods. I m just going to fix the axle, do minor repairs to the car, and keep paying it down till it sells. I really dont feel like paying $4000 for a turbo'd lancer when all I could ever push is 8 psi without a engine swap. If I went that route I could never trade in my lancer.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
True, I dont want to do a engine swap after all the reasearch I ve done. The 2010 Ralliart will be getting all the nice mods. I m just going to fix the axle, do minor repairs to the car, and keep paying it down till it sells. I really dont feel like paying $4000 for a turbo'd lancer when all I could ever push is 8 psi without a engine swap. If I went that route I could never trade in my lancer.
You sound like you've thought about this a lot, and come to the decision that you don't want to spend a ton, but want some performance. I've also been on the same route, and let me tell you the most crucial advice out there. If you want power, turbo. If you want to spend money with not much else than a louder exhaust note...add bolt ons. You aren't ever going to say "wow, this thing is fast" unless you go turbo. If you know you're buying a ralliart, just save money for that. The money you spend will not be an investment, it will simply be spent, and gone.

I decided to go turbo, but my advice to you is just hold off, deal with the economy car as is, and wait for the big day when you step up to a stock turbo'd car.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
You sound like you've thought about this a lot, and come to the decision that you don't want to spend a ton, but want some performance. I've also been on the same route, and let me tell you the most crucial advice out there. If you want power, turbo. If you want to spend money with not much else than a louder exhaust note...add bolt ons. You aren't ever going to say "wow, this thing is fast" unless you go turbo. If you know you're buying a ralliart, just save money for that. The money you spend will not be an investment, it will simply be spent, and gone.

I decided to go turbo, but my advice to you is just hold off, deal with the economy car as is, and wait for the big day when you step up to a stock turbo'd car.

yah thats what I figured, I just didnt like that I d have to spend a ton of money to get barely over the 225 hp marker when I can just buy a ralliart 10 brand new for possibly what I d put into the lancer in parts and maintaince. I may hate driving the lancer now but once that ralliart key is in my hand you better believe I ll go damn this is quick
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:51 AM

i would have to look into more, but i do believe the 4g64 swap is almost a drop on and motor by me cost $150, i don't know if they are that cheap by you but using that as a base : 4g64 - $150 + obx long tube header - $220 + intake cai $200 + custom 2.25" exhaust (trust me you don't need 2.5) $400 =$970 maybe a grand with shipping. Tune wise, i do not know who tunes the lancer ecu if it is different than an eclipse. But on average a tune can run you $300. So what do you have at the end of the day form this? $1300 to add about 20 horsepower tops. I will let you make the decision from there. I did this before with my old 4 cylinder eclipse, got it to run 16.1 in the quarter (auto) that is just as fast as a 6g72 eclipse auto with boltons. Oh, and never tuned it, stock ecu did a half decent job there.

Quick Reply: Headers