Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

NA 4B11 Engine mods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA 4B11 Engine mods

I have a 2011 Outlander Sport, which has the 4B11 and CVT transmission.

I cannot go all out with a turbo, or I will destroy the CVT.

Can you guys make some suggestions for building a powerful NA motor, with parts that are not Lancer-specific?

I'm very new to Mitsubishi engines, so I have no idea who to look for, for parts.

Obviously I need an exhaust for my vehicle, but what are some must haves to extract HP from the MIVEC? For instance, best ignition? Best cams? Head? Header? Any other parts which don't involve a major engine overhaul and will work on my Outlander Sport?

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Full exhaust including headers. RPW has a good one, but if that is too pricey, then a custom is good too. Most exhausts u will see on the net are axle backs which dont do anything besides make the car sound different.

For the intake, the best rated so far is the injen CAI. I have it, great gain and no trouble with hydrolock and ive been through some very heavy rain.

Ignition is fine as is, header is unavailable yet. RPW has a good lightweight pulley that is balanced, also the LSD they sell is nice. Cams are a must, apparently evo x cams will work. Also a larger throttle body can be beneficial and most mitsubishi throttles will fit.

I would also work on suspension and weight too. A good setup will work wonders in the lancer as the stock leaves a lot to be desired.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 AM

Wait, an exhaust header is not available?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Marshall5
Wait, an exhaust header is not available?
RPW offers two, RRM has one, OBX has one, DC Sports has one in the making.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by p1llar
RPW offers two, RRM has one, OBX has one, DC Sports has one in the making.
Originally Posted by M@verik
Full exhaust including headers. RPW has a good one, but if that is too pricey...

Ignition is fine as is, header is unavailable yet.
I don't understand maverik's post...

Anyways, the standard MIVEC ignition is good? Colt-speed makes an ignition that is over $800; I wonder how much it would do for the vehicle, or if they just want the dough.

I also wonder if those headers will bolt right up to the Outlander Sport exhaust. I know the engine is the same as the Lancer, but have no idea if the exhaust has a similar location at the start of the cat as on the Lancer.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

My wife and I just bought a 2011 Outlander sport SE AWD. We heard from the dealer that while it isn't much, a switch to full synthetic motor oil as well as a drop in filter adds a few hp, and for a great handling crossover to already be so light for the segment and come with a ok but not fast 148 hp, every low cost to free hp helps.

While it is another car in another class all together, my EVO was a lot better with a cosworth drop in filter and full mobil 1 fulll synthetic change.

Any pics of your outlander sport?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:43 AM

I already changed to Penzoil Platinum 5-20w.

I am working on the filter. I talked to a shop, and they are trying to get parts out asap for the Sport, including a cold air intake and header.

So it shouldn't be long now.

My photos are on my other PC in town at my office. I will post them soon. The vehicle looks nice. The front looks like a Lancer/EVO. I had the center strip of the grill painted black to look like the EVO front end.

Actually, here's a photo at night:

Last edited by Marshall5; Feb 1, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

I am working on the filter. I talked to a shop, and they are trying to get parts out asap for the Sport, including a cold air intake and header.

My photos are on my other PC in town at my office. I will post them soon. The vehicle looks nice. The front looks like a Lancer/EVO. I had the center strip of the grill painted black to look like the EVO front end.

That looks sick! Are those hids aftermarket? They look more blue than ours! But your outlander sport looks great! For those of us in the northeast, we need them and will be using the 4wd/4wd lock modes today in the snow!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:01 PM

Last night I had a blast in the snow. My Sport was hammering through some deep drifts without a problem! 4WD Lock with TCS turned off is the way to do it in deep snow. I was pulling away from stop lights fast, while I watched big trucks sitting still and spinning in the stuff. You can't beat an SUV with 18" wheels and 235x45 tires, along with a weight as light as a car, in the snow. The Sport really is lighter than most passenger cars at <3300LBS. Not to mention the underbody protection it has; complete skid plates everywhere protect from any hangs on those drifts.

The HIDs are not turned on in that picture. Those are just the LED running light bulbs that are above the HIDs. They are 13-SMD emitter LED bulbs. You should buy them and replace the ones in your vehicle. They look 10 times better! Everybody asks about those lights.

Here is the link to them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Marshall:

Great to hear! Yeah I have found the sport to be so outstanding in the snow! My wife took it through an unpaved lot of snow with five to six inches and it marched on.

In fact on her way to work in a snow storm a few weeks back, she saw cars slid out and she just kept on rolling. She has since nicknamed he car "plow" for how well it gets through the snow.

Also glad to hear you added the synthetic oil. I went with the full synthetic and a Cosworth drop in air filter (oil free) and the thing as already picked up! It is a blast to take quicker through some turns, and handles very well as it is lighter than many passenger vehicles!

Any new pics?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:59 PM

i'm going to start with my exhaust.. i recommend doing it first..then its the ra snorkel and throttle body...then probably the headers and cam's..
Old May 26, 2011, 12:00 PM

Just wanted to say i'm interested in any good mods you guys find.
Really wish they came with more power.

I really also want to see what one looks like a bit lower with wider wheels! Should look good.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:27 PM

That looks really good. It reminds me of a jap one I saw with the side mirrors on the hood.

Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:14 PM

Air intake, pulley, exhaust, throttle body, headers, ecu flash... all this can get u very decent performance
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:56 PM

The HIDs are not turned on in that picture. Those are just the LED running light bulbs that are above the HIDs. They are 13-SMD emitter LED bulbs. You should buy them and replace the ones in your vehicle. They look 10 times better! Everybody asks about those lights.

Here is the link to them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250756050453&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Cool your on this forum too. I read your thread on that other Mitsu forum but didn't really want to join another one...

So my GF just got one of these things and I already ordered some 26 SMD lights and I hope they work out. Your link above didn't point out any singular item, just a bunch of LEDs. I'll let you know how they work out.

Have you changed the other front amber lights out for LED yet?

I want to get her front covered in carbon fiber vinal and a rear side spat look to.

Anyone know if front strut bars for late model lancers work on the Outlander Sport?

Quick Reply: NA 4B11 Engine mods