Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Mitsubishi (Finally) formally adopts a 0w20 oil weight for the Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi (Finally) formally adopts a 0w20 oil weight for the Lancer

While the decision was made last year, it wasnt until the need platform vehicle production got underway earlier this year. Mitsubishi is finally allowing 0w20 oil weights to be used in their 4b11 platform on both sides of the border. Mitsubishi has been conflicted over the past two years over the subject. Partly because of long term engine oil contracts and dealership logistics for supply of the 0w20 oil. Also cost is another factor, 0w weight oils costs more. While I am not the biggest tree hugger on the planet, a 0w20 oil makes sense and is inline with Mitsubishi’s Green direction. As seen here on the Mitsubishi webpage

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...do#engineering

While I spoke with Mitsubishi Japan over a year ago about this. They admitted that the adoption of such a program would take sometime to filter down. But they did have their eye on this change for sometime. Here in Canada a 0w20 oil makes sense. Its simply the best oil for your daily driver car in the winter or summer. Unfortunately if you were the average customer and went to your average Canadian dealership and had a jug of 0w20 oil in your hand to put into your car. You would have likely been met with a fair bit of resistance from service. While I often visit all Mitsubishi dealerships in local area to get a vibe their staff. In one situation about 2 years ago, I had a dealer tell me that the use of my 0w20 oil would potentially void my warranty. I stroked my beard for about 5 seconds and played along. “You don’t say…..” I went back to my car and brought in my 5w20 Jug of Mobil 1, Something they had no problem with. The strange part of the story is that the 0w20 oil I had was from Mobil 1 as well.

Now to be completely honest with you. 0w20 oil wasnt widely available in Canada for a while. Very limited supply! And they have only become popular recently because of all the hybrid engines out there. The growing demand has pushed the 0w20 into the spot light. The local dealership and service adviser I went to that pulled the warranty card on me isnt around anymore and most other dealerships had no opposition to my demand of putting this oil in my car.

0w20 oil is what I have been using in my car since the beginning for my winter driving. The benefits of running this oil are real and equally as safe as the standard 5w20 oil. Mobil1 is very clear with the benefits and if you pick up the jug, they spell out the fact that you are not compromising anything by making the switch. Its equally as safe.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-20.aspx

I run with Mobil 1 0w20 oil in my Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 year round. If I know I will be subjecting my car to some more serious levels of stress, I would consider switching to a heavier weight. But let me be clear, even if you an aggressive daily driver, this oil is perfect for you. You will achieve better fuel economy and the same amount of projection. I make this repeated speech on here because I get that one email asking. ”I drive my car hard…. Are you sure its safe” Simple Answer is yes.

Where to buy Mobil 1 0w20 and 0w30 oil?

Just about anywhere. Large big box stores will have this oil available and on the shelves in stock. Will your Mitsubishi dealership have the oil in stock and available on demand. Likely not until the end of this year. I will interview Mitsubishi North America to get the official stance on 0w20 and 0w30oil weights.

In the mean time I would consider making the switch and save yourself fuel and make the switch to a better oil if you are still using conventional oil.

-EVOSOULSELECT.COM
evosoul.com@gmail.com
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good write up been using this oil for the past 1.5 years in my 2009 gts and its only been good so far no issues, it even quieted my engine a bit, occasionally i must use 5w20 when 0w20 is sold out (as its not available in a jug here in the usa).