Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A great bunch of information in this thread. I know Lancers aren't the fast straight line cars, but their handling is amazing.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i've come to a descision on what im going with;
Alutec pulley
Timing advance
modify mapping
Dyno tune
Evo manual transmission (or maybe another, but i like the evo tranny)
Ralli-art drivetrain
and probably more after college

By the way i plan on doing 90% of the work myself, mechanics and engineering are kind of like a hobby for me so please dont say buy an evo! it's actually cheaper for me personally to build an evo than to buy one (not that im building an evo) so thats not really a deciding factor here.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Adapting your car for manual use.
Adapting the GSR manual to an RA drivetrain.
Adapting the RA drivetrain to the GTS.

You're going to need more than hobby level engineering.
If you ever figure out the electronics to get it running, it's probably going to drive like the Frankenstein it is.
Instead of telling you to by an evo, I'm going to tell you to buy two, given the price/labor of that job.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all sounds feasable except the transmission part. Evo and RA transmissions are set up for AWD and you are FWD...that alone will be quite the task and making it AWD would be even more so. If you wanted to put more power down than the CVT can handle then the best option would be to swap it out for the manual tranny that is available for the car currently, it will still require some cutting/welding and sound mechanical knowledge to achieve. Ive considered and decided against it myself.

If you are really dead set on building a fast car out of an economy car using the Lancer as your platform, doing what you suggested (putting in an evo transmission) would be far e.asier to do on one of the newer model that is set up for AWD already, though i havent looked into the logisitics of that in depth either.

Personally ive just resigned myself to the fact this car will never be a beast. Its a damn nice car, and as ive said in this thread earlier, i feel its a strong performer in its class and price range but if you really wanna go fast fast, you might wanna rethink this project. The lancer is not a fast car, but its a nice car, id hate to see something nice go to waste.

I just noticed the RA drive train part in your post, but the statement still stands.

Last edited by Etrain49; Apr 10, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:30 PM

I've read through and seen people talking about the RA drivetrain and i think it looks fairly simple when compared to my original plan which was to make my own (yay fabrication!)
from my understanding the block of both the 4b10 and 4b10T was virtually identical as the 4b10 used to create the 4b10t. Assuming that were true, would the flywheel not use the same bolt pattern for both the 4b10 and the 4b10T making the evo transmission fairly similar to the GTS transmission? I could be completely wrong in that aspect, but thats the impression i was under as i have yet to get a good look at an evolution tranny outside of the car.

I doubt it makes a difference, but ive been working in mechanics / engineering for the last 2 years and know more than the average hobbyist and i'm hoping that is enough to get me through the project.

I'm also going to research more on the evo / GTS transmissions though, one of my philosophys is over-kill is under-rated which is why i immediately thought of the Evo tranny, but maybe that isnt as good of an idea as i had originally though

Last edited by Hantke; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:54 PM

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree as one of those people who have the need to dis-assemble and re-assemble everything they own, but it seems like the GTS would be a great platform for modifications.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:08 PM

Can I use a evo x aftermarket exhaust on my 2010 lancer de
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by LancerDe
Can I use a evo x aftermarket exhaust on my 2010 lancer de
you "can" do anything with the right fabrication but i would look up the diameter of both the exhausts first and go from there. i believe the evo's have much bigger exhausts due to the turbo creating a lot more back-pressure than the stock engines, though you could upgrade the headers and the exhaust if your feeling up to a project

so short answer, im fairly certain it wont be a direct bolt on upgrade

and thanks to the people that responded to my post
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I havn't gone through this info but I think it could be helpful in adapting the RA drivetrain. Seems to be mounting diagrams for the underside and suspension of an RA.

I was going to model the useful dimensions on my comp and compare them to my GTS, but that won't happen until mid May. Perhaps your engineering can put it to good use.

Even better if we can get some diagrams of the GTS, this info is straight out of the RA service manual.

http://i48.tinypic.com/30mtoqs.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/qoip9y.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/20f22o8.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/s2t98g.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/307wb2q.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/10crd78.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/pt5de.jpg

Last edited by Panis; Apr 14, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:18 AM

There's a thread on here that covers some good info aswell, i'll see if i can find it again and post a link. One of the other reasons i was looking at the evo transmission is because i was hoping it would work with the RA drivetrain better than the GTS' CVT tranny.
Alchemists info
thought it was some good info to have

Last edited by Hantke; Apr 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

The evo SST transmission works with the RA drivetrain, the manual you're looking at doesn't.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:54 AM

Cool, thanks i knew one or more of the evo's / ralli-arts shared parts. i know one or more of the evo engines was passed down to the ralli-art after the evo was upgraded again.

I still have alot to research and find, but thank you for the info!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i had typed a nice response to this but it timed out..so the short version.

I was gonna do this too, i have access to everything to make it very feasable, however my decision against it came because of downtime mainly. The scope of the project is already large and should be factored with the possibilty of other issues arising because of the level of alteration you are considering. i love to drive, more than i like to go fast (i like fast too). i live by a busy road, and if i had to sit on my deck all summer and listen to other cars zip by while mine was sitting on blocks..i think id go nuts.

just food for thought
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Etrain49
Well, i had typed a nice response to this but it timed out..so the short version.

I was gonna do this too, i have access to everything to make it very feasable, however my decision against it came because of downtime mainly. The scope of the project is already large and should be factored with the possibilty of other issues arising because of the level of alteration you are considering. i love to drive, more than i like to go fast (i like fast too). i live by a busy road, and if i had to sit on my deck all summer and listen to other cars zip by while mine was sitting on blocks..i think id go nuts.

just food for thought
i have thought of this, i may have to wait till i get a truck or just drive my motorcycle instead, thats actually my daily driver since right now its already built (90% of the way, after all can you ever be done modifying a motorcycle?) and i can strip it and do a complete rebuild in 1-2 days max if i ever need to.. I've also got time researching and what-not and i'm hoping to have a truck by the time i've prepped everything just in case i need it, after-all you never know when you need a 4 wheeled vehicle now-adays
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:25 PM

Another one of my thoughts (kinda spitballing here) was around the evo drivetrain but i know that its wider than the ralli-art / lancer drivetrain so it would need fender flairs, has anyone attempted that before? i think i would be able to find a great deal of information if anyone has

Quick Reply: Engine Upgrades