Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine Upgrades

Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has attempted any of this project, except RRM who supposedly swapped their CVT for a M/T, but as a very wise man once said:

"RRM cured cancer too , but they forgot to document it , so all is lost ....."

The only way you're going to find information is through painstaking research, probably through cooperation from people who own these vehicles, or investing and testing.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Panis
No one has attempted any of this project, except RRM who supposedly swapped their CVT for a M/T, but as a very wise man once said:

"RRM cured cancer too , but they forgot to document it , so all is lost ....."

The only way you're going to find information is through painstaking research, probably through cooperation from people who own these vehicles, or investing and testing.
Oh wow i thought it had been done before. It also crossed my mind to try the new lancer AWD drivetrain, but anything worth doing is over doing! i am curious how closely the 09+ AWD lancer drivetrain is to bolting up to an 08 lancer, they use the same frame so i dont think it would be too different
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:14 PM

http://9glancers.com/index.php?topic=17968.0

Found this and figured I'd share.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, why is everyone hating on the RRM pulley? =\

I'm pretty sure they corrected their balance issue when they released the v2. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there's a harmonic balancer INSIDE the shaft anyway, and the pulley just helps out, not is the entire balance.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
Damn, why is everyone hating on the RRM pulley? =\

I'm pretty sure they corrected their balance issue when they released the v2. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there's a harmonic balancer INSIDE the shaft anyway, and the pulley just helps out, not is the entire balance.
I've heard about non-ballanced pulleys ripping engines apart after 5,000-10,000 miles which really blows... especially if you had no idea of the risk of the pulleys.

And as an updates, im postponing any plans on drivetrain / engine swapping for now, i may bring this back later when i have more available funds and a backup vehicle (my other car was dropped off of a lift at a mechanics shop and is in need of serious work) other than my motorcycle. And on-top of everything i'm also in the process of attaining a 1965 GMC pickup to pour my time into modifying to my hearts content (Also probably alot safer of an investment than an 08 car anyways).

Still planning on modifying the NA engine quite a bit, but nothing amazing or spectacular planned yet, intake larger tranny cooler, timing control, ecu, etc.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hantke
I've heard about non-ballanced pulleys ripping engines apart after 5,000-10,000 miles which really blows... especially if you had no idea of the risk of the pulleys.

And as an updates, im postponing any plans on drivetrain / engine swapping for now, i may bring this back later when i have more available funds and a backup vehicle (my other car was dropped off of a lift at a mechanics shop and is in need of serious work) other than my motorcycle. And on-top of everything i'm also in the process of attaining a 1965 GMC pickup to pour my time into modifying to my hearts content (Also probably alot safer of an investment than an 08 car anyways).

Still planning on modifying the NA engine quite a bit, but nothing amazing or spectacular planned yet, intake larger tranny cooler, timing control, ecu, etc.
Yeah, those modifications will definitely help give your car the needed "pep" it deserves. But as far as the v2 pulley, I've been running it for 30,000+ and haven't had any seal leaking issues whatsoever.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, my best friend who is a mechanic advised me against putting in a crank pulley, on any vehicle really but...i wanna lol. I think ima do it anyways, it seems to me theres alot more success stories than failures.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Etrain49
Yea, my best friend who is a mechanic advised me against putting in a crank pulley, on any vehicle really but...i wanna lol. I think ima do it anyways, it seems to me theres alot more success stories than failures.
Oh yes, there definitely are a lot more success stories than horror stories, but hey.. bottom line is that it's your car, you do as you please.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Oh I'm well aware I can do w hat I want. And I probably will install it. It's more the "I told you so bro" factor that makes me hesitant lol. Like I said he's my best friend and a mechanic, if he's right Ill never ever hear the end of it...but like I tell him, I think he's just scared I'll be edging up on his G8 (v6 3.6) muahaha...we shall see.

But seriously, how noticeable were the gains from that specific mod? A definate recommend? Cuz I'm currently thinking for powertrain mods ill go with the injen sri and mf catback which i have already, add better plugs, throttle body, and the pulley and top it off with a tune. I think after that ill drive it out for a bit and save the rest of my budget for an evo hopefully for next summer or so.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Etrain49
Oh I'm well aware I can do w hat I want. And I probably will install it. It's more the "I told you so bro" factor that makes me hesitant lol. Like I said he's my best friend and a mechanic, if he's right Ill never ever hear the end of it...but like I tell him, I think he's just scared I'll be edging up on his G8 (v6 3.6) muahaha...we shall see.

But seriously, how noticeable were the gains from that specific mod? A definate recommend? Cuz I'm currently thinking for powertrain mods ill go with the injen sri and mf catback which i have already, add better plugs, throttle body, and the pulley and top it off with a tune. I think after that ill drive it out for a bit and save the rest of my budget for an evo hopefully for next summer or so.
I don't know the exact gains (Which im sure claims vary from Alutec - RRM) but from talking to people my understanding is that it takes off alot of the parasitic drag (Which makes sense, a stock pulley is somewhere from 4 lbs and these after-market are significantly lighter) allowing for faster acceleration, however it also means there may be a minor effect on coasting long distances (Probably not too important to most people). i had made a spreadsheet comparing intakes, pulleys, etc. if i didnt delete it ill update this with some more accurate info.

here is the shortened version of RRM's claims
RRM Pulley – aircraft grade aluminum W/ stainless steel wear band (.5 lbs) (Stock 4lbs) Gain 2.7 HP per lb removed (9.45 HP gain)

Last edited by Hantke; May 13, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:45 AM

Current lineup
Performance:
Pulley (Alutec or RRM V2 (need to research V2 more)
Over-sized tranny cooler (Probably RRM)
Timing advance
ECM
SRI (K&N / tikeda?)
New Headers (need to find out if my car is FED or not, it was in california before i bought it, but im hoping not.
cat-back or full exhaust system (Have yet to see a good true full exhaust system, but ive been hearing good things about the magna flow cat-back. My only problem is that just the name alone screams look at me i'm loud and im a ricer! so im still looking through sound clips.

Visuals
Carbon fiber hood (Carbon Creations / DuraFlex GT?) <- Planned upgrade
Duraflex GT Front bumper / Side Skirts <- curiosity

New Paint job (I'm getting my autobody paint certification and using my car for my final project) and it really needs a paint job, rust is showing through on a small ding on a frame support thats been getting bigger and a streak down one of the doors needs to be re-done.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

By gains I mean "hey, I noticed my car drove differently"...driving characteristics i guess would have been a better term, though it was described. I knew the numbers already, but it's good for this thread, thanks.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:08 AM

I'm thinking of the same ideas as you; Pulley, Intake, headers(eventually). CF Hood would be a bit of a stretch, but who knows.

Also, is there a way to make my '10 Lancer DE silent like a Lexus?
Old May 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vassosman
Also, is there a way to make my '10 Lancer DE silent like a Lexus?
A lot of carpet padding, Dynamat and wishful thinking. :P
Old May 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I ran the RRM pulley on my 08 lancer for 60K miles without a single issue. I've since sold the car but I'm sure it's still running strong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Upgrades