Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake Manifold and Throttle Body porting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus another benifit is that your not driving around with RRM parts, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with them at all. I like what i have bought from them so far and i plan on getting the piggy back soon. What i'm saying is that your car will be more custome and not a store bought aftermarket car.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

How much material is on the Intake mani for the lancer? If you get a TB gasket from a 1g DSM (60mm - do believe that Mitsu doesn't supply them anymore- not 100% sure) or from a 3g eclipse 4G64 (54mm- if I'm correct) . . . on a G93, it didn't have enough material to bore.

I haven't seen the G94 Intake mani in person.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:33 PM

Well there has to be atleast alittle extra or else RRm wouldn't be selling a fluted TB and ported IM. I believe the TB can only loose about an 5 mm or so. I think that'll put it at 55mm total. I'm not 100 percont on that. i have no idea on the IM but i'm going to find out soon.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Urbanknight: I dont knwo for sure if the Eclipse TBs are smog legal since i dont live in a smog state BUT my response would be yes. You are just getting a TB from an already existing car (nothing aftermarket) even though I dont know if the Eclipses are smog legal or not.

Cost me like 60 bucks to grab a 60 mm TB and I used a dremel and ported my intake manifold.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:08 AM

AirQuez, Did you measure how much you took off the intake? What TB did you get from a eclipse? What year ecplipse did you get off of?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

also when RRM ports and polishes they also replace the butterfly on the TB. so you need to have that made too from the machine shop. I dont have either but I have seen both and RRM spends literally hours on one IM and there is a good pile of shavings on the floor.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by firechicken
AirQuez, Did you measure how much you took off the intake? What TB did you get from a eclipse? What year ecplipse did you get off of?
I did not measure but based on the stock TB and the TB i had, the difference was 8 mm (from the stock 52 mm to the Eclipse 60 mm). So on the intake manifold, basically i ported 8mm of the stock size. What I did however, was just to get teh gasket for the TB, drew a line of the new circumference for the gasket and then ported out to the line. The TB was from a 1G turbo Eclipse (mine was off of a 92, allegedly 90 - 91 TBs dont work as they have different vacuum lines). It is a 60mm TB which was just about the limit of my intake manifold plenum.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 02:11 PM

So has anybody actually gone to a machine shop yet and had this done for them. I havn't yet because of Financial issues. Just wondering if it's been tried yet. If not Does anybody have a TB and IM that they want to get rid of for a reasonable price.
I'm thinking that i may just buy the RRM TB and take it into ALL PRO here in colorado and see if they can just match the IM to it. That'll still save me loads of cash.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/newreply.php
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/newreply.php#
Old Apr 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that when you bore out the TB you have to make a bigger butterfly and then you should recoat the tb sealing surface. Some shops don't do the recoat and cars have crappy idles do to the leakby. Then there are some shops that use butterflys from other TB's and just modify the TB to fit that butterfly... you take chances there as the butterfly may be to big and water jackets thinned out or butterfly's to small so you don't get the real benefit. As for the Intake manifold... local shops do them in the same way RRM does but RRM comes powder coated. You can have it not painted and the cost goes down i believe. All in all just be careful when dealing with shops that due your porting... especially on TB's as they may not be all that great in the end. RRM's machine shop knows what they are doing with the ventury effect at 5mm overbore.

I've seen an eclipse TB put on the manifold of a mirage... i'm sure it could be addapted to the lancer as well. The mirage guy had to do a lot of modifying to the Intake manifold and a few vacuum port changes but he got it to work. It's all about time and energy versus money you save. How much is your time worth and is the quest to save a few bucks worth the energy... especially if it gets fu@#ed up as then there is no one to hold accountable for it but yourself.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 02:51 PM

That's why i'm going to go with the RRM TB and just take it to ALL PRO and see if they can match the IM to it. So I'm still looking for a IM if anybody wants to sell me one!